Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best value route to France

• 10-06-2009 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hello Campers

money is tight this year so I had thought we'd stay at home but last Saturdays rain changed our minds. I'd like advice on the most economical route to France have done landbridge once and direct route once would appreciate some advice from those with more experience, for example would you suggest eurotunnel. Want to be in france for july no real itinerary as yet so I'm not stuck on using a particular English port.

many thanks Can't wait to go
    also where do I get the aires book

bye

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

IrishFerries seem quiet reasonable this year, there's a few posts on the subject going back a few weeks. LDlines are now sailing from Roslare who also seem quiet reasonable.
    We've done the land link and driven down to NewHaven and Portsmonth in previous years. You'd need to factor in the fuel costs, the drive from say Pembrook to Dover is approx 330miles and a tank of fuel.

Rough figures for landlink:
    Return Ferry to UK €350
    Fuel across UK approx €150
    Return Ferry UK to France €200
    Approx €700 for landlink

Compare that with Irishferries approx €850 direct to France, is the €150 savings worth it when you could be sipping cocktails on board the Oscar Wilde instead of sitting doing 20mph on the M25 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

Cheapest route for the first two weeks in July,allowing for 6 berth camper plus 2 adults is: Stena, Dublin port to Holyhead.....€ 278 then P&O Dover to Calais ......€131 = £ 112 Total Return price : €409. You will have fuel but on direct ferry you will spend as much,so the actual ferry price is half. The bonus is, Calais gives you a huge choice of destinations.Don't forget to bring back the wine........................................b;):D:):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Hi Newgirl,

Good value with Irishferries when I booked fback in May for our July trip. Around €550 for camper plus two. Not sure if thats still available.

Working on the figures generally, I always felt that you needed a clear saving on the fares of at least €200 before it justified going landbridge through the UK. Definitely factor in motorway and especially M25 traffic depending on time/day of travel.

Leaving the finances aside, one thing I have noticed is that the Uk-France crossings represent an aspect of foreign holidaying that is uniquely British and is often entertaining to observe and listen to.

I personally enjoy the "Rosslare" experience. The stops on the way down, the queues in the Camper/MH lanes at the terminal as you await boarding and the chat between the campers as they head off.

Anyway, the important thing is that whatever you choose, enjoy your holiday.

P.S. You will pick up the Aires book at any decent bookstore in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Hi Newgirl,

Good value with Irishferries when I booked fback in May for our July trip. Around €550 for camper plus two. Not sure if thats still available.

Working on the figures generally, I always felt that you needed a clear saving on the fares of at least €200 before it justified going landbridge through the UK. Definitely factor in motorway and especially M25 traffic depending on time/day of travel.

Leaving the finances aside, one thing I have noticed is that the Uk-France crossings represent an aspect of foreign holidaying that is uniquely British and is often entertaining to observe and listen to.

I personally enjoy the "Rosslare" experience. The stops on the way down, the queues in the Camper/MH lanes at the terminal as you await boarding and the chat between the campers as they head off.

Anyway, the important thing is that whatever you choose, enjoy your holiday.

P.S. You will pick up the Aires book at any decent bookstore in France.

Hello Unfit,
    I never could find that price that you mentioned,and I saw your post when it came in the first time,so you were lucky.Now the price I quoted is not a land bridge but two seperart bookings and the price is currert,you can check it now and it is the cheapest route,fuel included. It is also quicker by about 12 hours.I do like Rosslare when it's quite................b;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭davidod1

Up to this year it has never been possible for us to be flexible on holiday dates; it was always the first two weeks in August or nothing. This year though all that changed.

Over the years we had paid anything from €800 with Irish Ferries to over €1100 with Brittany Ferries; with Hollyhead, Hull, Zeebrugge and others all thrown into the mix.

However because of the economic situation I hadn't booked anything this year; I hadn't really made up my mind if was going to be France for umteenth time or maybe try something else. Then a promotion email from Irish Ferries offered a 'book now' and go to France for under €300. I checked it out and got an online booking going out on 12th September and back on 29th September for 2 adults inc cabin for €297 all in. I booked it there and then.

I just hope they don't go bust before then.

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Newgirl

Hello and thanks for the replys
    I opted for the following
    June 26th roslare to pembroke July 17th Pembroke to Rosslare €313 return with Irish Ferries
    June 27th Dover to Calais £55 Sea France
    July 15 Le Harve to Portsmouth £129 LD lines

the sterling works out at €342
    so €655 in total

we make the journey between the ports part of the hols.
    and I haven't worked out the petrol costs so its probably 'unfare' to compare cost of landbridge to direct routes

anyway we're happy out counting the days
    thanks again

Good stuff.

Enjoy the holiday - it starts from time you drive away from the house.
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Hi Newgirl,

glad you got something sorted. Enjoy the trip.

unfit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭muint

Were doing Dublin - Liverpool tomorrow night :D at €314 return coming back July 11th.
    5 hour drive down to....
    Dover -Calais with Sea France at about £160.
    Again I havent worked out diesel costs.
    Busy packing up the Bessecarr - othe half wants to bring the Dyson... and before you jump to conclusions - he is a HE. Soooooo proud of his "Bessie"
    So now you've heard it all
    Anyone else bringing anything out of the ordinary in their MH??

Go for Muint. We'll have to wait until September for ours.

With most continental vans not having an oven; the most outrageous item we have in the van is a small oven that we bought in Aldi for somewhere around €30. It's works really well. It's about the size of a microwave; has selectable top, bottom or both elements, a temperature controller, a timer and a fan. When not in use we store it on a shelf under the sink and best of all it draws just 6 amps of mains power.
    Anyway - enjoy the holiday.

Dave

• Advertisement
Advertisement