Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Voyager 2110 is being replaced

Options
  • 10-06-2009 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Of interest to those of us that have suffered with this crappy Voyager router, BT are rolling out a new Netgear router from from next week. This should put an end to having to manually connect to Broadband.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

speedfreak wrote: »
    Of interest to those of us that have suffered with this crappy Voyager router, BT are rolling out a new Netgear router from from next week. This should put an end to having to manually connect to Broadband.
    About time, how did you find this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

cpu-dude wrote: »
    About time, how did you find this out?
    Was having a lot of trouble with connection over last 2 weeks. Sorted now but i mentioned i still have 2 manually connect so he mentioned new router and put me on a list 2 receive new one. Think theres a trial period first.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

I presume this is going to be for new customers and those who actually request a new router (and be charged for the privilage)

I cant see them switching all of the current BT Voyager 2110 units.

Isaac702 wrote: »
    I presume this is going to be for new customers and those who actually request a new router (and be charged for the privilage)

I cant see them switching all of the current BT Voyager 2110 units.

That's a fair assumption as regards new customers but I'm not being charged for it. Its replacing a router that has an issue that can't be fixed. My advice for current customers would be to ring customer care and ask for replacement and you'll receive the netgear and don't entertain any attempt to charge!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

In fairness, I've never had any problems with my 2110.

EDIT: and what netgear model are they rolling out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭jayflame

Hi,

I spoke to a friend who works in BT.
    He knows nothing about them actually replacing their Voyagers at present.
    If they were, the UK would have had them first.

I agree, it would be really, really good to finally get rid of the Voyager, but I have been promised one 1st. :D

As for 2 weeks, not likely. As far as I know, they are about 2 months away and even then that is after successful testing, even then I have my doubts BT would provide a modem as good as Netgear.
    Still, stranger things have happened.

Jonathan wrote: »

EDIT: and what netgear model are they rolling out?

From what BT have told me in the past this manual connect problem was specific to those exchanges where LLU ADSL2+ was offered. Sorry don't know Netgear model.

jayflame wrote: »
    Hi,

I agree, it would be really, really good to finally get rid of the Voyager, but I have been promised one 1st. :D

As for 2 weeks, not likely. As far as I know, they are about 2 months away and even then that is after successful testing, even then I have my doubts BT would provide a modem as good as Netgear.
    Still, stranger things have happened.

Well I was told this from call centre guy in India and one in Dublin. I guess I'll find out in the next two weeks if I get one or not. I am to be part of the user testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

2 weeks 2 late for this customer. I've given them notice, and am currently in the process of moving provider

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

speedfreak wrote: »
    Well I was told this from call centre guy in India and one in Dublin. I guess I'll find out in the next two week's if I get one or not. I am to be part of the user testing.

There is no call centre in Inda, maybe it was an indian agent?

And although I have heard rumours of an incoming router this is not the first time, and it wont be the last. I remember they started using DLINKs some time ago and then the went back to voyagers, maybe they are just testing it...

And even if they replace their routers with Netgears I dont know how they can guarantee that the new ones wont have the same reconnection problems, maybe they should ring you and offer you one for testing purposes...... maybe???

• Advertisement

IIMII wrote: »
    2 weeks 2 late for this customer. I've given them notice, and am currently in the process of moving provider

Why didnt you ask them to give you your money back? that's about 90 euros, with that money you could have bought a much better router, like a Netgear or a Linksys... or even of of those fancy looking Belkin N1

Bohrio wrote: »
    There is no call centre in Inda, maybe it was an indian agent?

And although I have heard rumours of an incoming router this is not the first time, and it wont be the last. I remember they started using DLINKs some time ago and then the went back to voyagers, maybe they are just testing it...

And even if they replace their routers with Netgears I dont know how they can guarantee that the new ones wont have the same reconnection problems, maybe they should ring you and offer you one for testing purposes...... maybe???

just presumed it was overflow one in India. Always seem to get Indian guy at peak times. They aren't guaranteeing it will solve problem hence the user testing. I'll keep ye posted!

jayflame wrote: »

Well he should be aware that BT has withdrawn the BT Voyager 2110 from sale as per the announcement on the 25th of May. See the What's New section on voyager.bt.com

In the UK they are still shipping BT Home hubs and BT Voyager 2500's. These however would not be much use in Ireland as they would be shipping routers with unused VOIP hardware. This would not be economic for BT.
    This is also a reason why the UK wont necessarily have them first.

It makes sense that their supply of Voyager 2110 routers in running low and they will have to replace it with something else. Personally I can see them purchasing the rights to another Dynalink router and selling it under the BT Voyager brandname. Any BT Voyager routers are slightly modified Dynalink routers.

It makes sense that their supply of Voyager 2110 routers in running low and they will have to replace it with something else. Personally I can see them purchasing the rights to another Dynalink router and selling it under the BT Voyager brandname. Any BT Voyager routers are slightly modified Dynalink routers.

Believe me, unfortunately, they will never run out of Voyager's and you are right, whatever will be replacing the Voyagers wont be released first in UK as they are focus on the Home Hubs which, as you have said, have VoIP among other things...

I am not saying BT Ireland, wont be replacing those routers in the near future, I just believe that is not going to happen in two weeks... Voyagers 21xx were put out of service in the UK over 1 year ago, they sent the remaining to Ireland to be used.

I think that BT are looking for a replacement and they are testing different brands. I have heard that the DLINK didnt turn out to be as reliable as they though so they are probably looking for an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Same here.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Same here.

Glad to here that! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Bohrio wrote: »
    Glad to here that! :)

Still wouldn't turn down a ddwrt router tho ;)

Still wouldn't turn down a ddwrt router tho ;)

Provided you don't need to use the ADSL chipset in the BT Voyager 2110 you can run OpenWRT on it.

They are currently working on a way to use the binary broadcom drivers on it as-well so then we will have a fully functional OpenWRT installation.

Keep in mind that you will have to compile a version of it yourself though as it is not in the released version yet.

Provided you don't need to use the ADSL chipset in the BT Voyager 2110 you can run OpenWRT on it.

They are currently working on a way to use the binary broadcom drivers on it as-well so then we will have a fully functional OpenWRT installation.

Keep in mind that you will have to compile a version of it yourself though as it is not in the released version yet.
    Aye, but little point in running two routers just to have wrt..

I thought of that but never had the time to mess with it... I dont have ADSL at home so it will be perfect for me, cant wait now :)

With all the bad things said about the Voyager I must say that I love playing with them, the CLI is very good and has hidden a lot of potential.

The Broadcom chipset is one of the most common ones and is very reliable, so it will all depend on the firmware you have installed

• Advertisement
Advertisement