Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mazda6/Accord/Passat/S40/9-3/407

• 10-06-2009 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi All,

Have about 10k to spend looking for an 05/06 car up to 2.0l, I'm trying to narrow down the following list, which do you recommend/write off:
    Mazda6
    VW Passat
    Volvo S40
    Honda Accord
    Saab 93
    Peugeot 407
    Might be tough to find Accord or 93 for that amount though....
    After driving a wretched Renault for the last few years reliability is high up my list ...
    Have test driven a 407 and a S40, the 407 seemed very cheap for what it was, is that just a over supply thing? The S40 i drove wasn't in the greatest nick.
    Looking to drive a Mazda 6 and Accord this weekend.
    Any others in this class i should consider?? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Subaru Legacy? There's also the Citroen C5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

Just want to be the first to say Accord! :D

Plenty of reasons, especially reliability. I have a 2.0l petrol, but the 2.2 diesel is more popular. I don't use the car that much, so 2.0l petrol suits me fine. Loads of room, enough power and if the Honda's are probably one the most reliable cars out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Frizzaldo wrote: »
    Any others in this class i should consider??thanks

Mondeo:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

positron wrote: »
    Just want to be the first to say Accord! :D

Plenty of reasons, especially reliability. I have a 2.0l petrol, but the 2.2 diesel is more popular. I don't use the car that much, so 2.0l petrol suits me fine. Loads of room, enough power and if the Honda's are probably one the most reliable cars out there.

+1

the only thing against the Accord is that they are shocking noisy , tyre noise in particular is awful for a car of this standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Frizzaldo

sorry about format

• Advertisement

hearing a lot of good things about Accords but not many of them for under 10k unless i look at 04's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

No particular order.

Accord
    Passat
    Volvo

I recommend the 2.0d S40 had one for 4 years loved it bad points are rear leg room+smallish boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

Avensis/Vectra ?

Although I'd choose the Accord myself but you'll probably need to do a fair bit of haggling to get a 05/06 one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'd take off the 93 and S40 off that list. Both are below the par for the course set by the competition. The 93 is poorly built unless you get a top spec one, and the S40 is based on the Focus, it's cramped for the class.
    Add a Mondeo as said. I assume you're buying petrol given the price you're willing to spend. The FSI engines are the ones to get in the Passat, not sure if the old crappy ones are still in the B6 Passat. The Accord 2 litre is a good engine. The Mazda 1.8 and 2 litres are fine. Mazda and Mondeo are the best to drive, but I'd go with the Mazda over the Ford based on looks and engines, and I'd go with the Accord or Passat for refinement. The Passat would be the most comfortable of the lot.

cheers guys.
    I've seen a few threads on here bashing the Passats:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055223689
    My old man drives an Avensis and wasn't blown away by it but it is reliable. Not a huge fan of the Mondeo's, something about the gardai driving them puts me off them a bit....
    so starting to think it's down to the Accord of the Mazda6.....anyone driven both??

• Advertisement

cheers guys.
    I've seen a few threads on here bashing the Passats:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055223689
    My old man drives an Avensis and wasn't blown away by it but it is reliable. Not a huge fan of the Mondeo's, something about the gardai driving them puts me off them a bit....
    so starting to think it's down to the Accord of the Mazda6.....anyone driven both??

Yep, and I prefer the 6. Engines and seating position put me off the Mondeo. But you should drive both and see.
    The Passats have their issues no doubt, but there are two types of people on boards. The ones who think everything VW do is fantastic, and the ones who think VW's are pure sh!t. In truth neither are correct. The Passat is a fine car, despite being dynamically inferior to the 6 and Mondeo, and even the Accord, it is ahead of them in refinement and comfort. The B6 Passat is in a different league to the older B5.5 and B5 models however. Much better to drive than the wallowey old ones. Test drive all of them and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

It's not an SE spec car for starters, but otherwise looks good, especially if the FSH checks out. One of the very last E46's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's one of the ES run out models afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's one of the ES run out models afaik.

Definately one of the Run out ES models - I'm pretty sure I supplied that in 05 and it lived local to me. Changed companies since so can't check the history.

worth a test drive?

seems reasonable at that price.
    where would it rank compared to an Accord or Mazda 6?

R.O.R. what are the differences between the ES and SE models? don't know a huge amount about BMW's...

R.O.R. what are the differences between the ES and SE models? don't know a huge amount about BMW's...

The run out ES models came with the M-Sport front and rear bumpers, M-Sport Steering Wheel and Gearknob and upgraded alloys. SE models would have climate control (think there is manual A/C in the ES), parking sensors and possibly rear electric windows. From a driving point of view it makes little difference - the difference is just toys for you to play with.

Definately worth a test drive - the last few of that model I drove had very heavy steering because of the big wheels, but they did have massive mileage.

Test the Accord as well - I wouldn't say the Mazda compares to the BMW / Honda. From then on, it's really down to preference.

Cheers R.O.R. will post back after weekend and let ye know how it goes...

R.O.R wrote: »
    Test the Accord as well - I wouldn't say the Mazda compares to the BMW / Honda. From then on, it's really down to preference.
    Depends on what area you're comparing them.

• Advertisement

Biro wrote: »
    Depends on what area you're comparing them.

Driveability and cabin comfort are my thoughts. The Mazda isn't a bad car, but the BMW and the Honda are better.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Driveability and cabin comfort are my thoughts. The Mazda isn't a bad car, but the BMW and the Honda are better.

Sorry but I'd put the Mazda ahead of the Honda for driveability

Saab Ed wrote: »

Well, I may be a bit biased being the owner of an Accord, but the engines in the Honda are far superior to the Mazda offerings. The 6 does feel very planted as far as handling, but for the overall package I'd take the Honda (VTEC buddddddd :D)

Saab Ed wrote: »

Definitely. The Mazda is a nice bit better than the Honda to drive. Honda is more refined though, but it'd need to be, it's a lot dearer new.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Hi Guys,

Is the SAAB 93 linear range that bad?
    Im thinking of buying 1.

royster999 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Is the SAAB 93 linear range that bad?
    Im thinking of buying 1.

Its not that they are that bad its just that for the money what you can get in this segment is a lot. The 9-3 is not a bad car its just that there are so many good competitors around about the same money.

SAAB Ed,

What do you make of this deal?

cheers

royster999 wrote: »
    SAAB Ed,

What do you make of this deal?

cheers

No link!!!!

• Advertisement

I'm probably the worst person to ask because I'm biased. I like them and with the Fiat diesel they are a great car. A friend of mine has the 150 bhp version and he swears by it. But if you want to know the ins and outs of their problems you are probably better off getting an opinion of a Saab mechanic. I'll PM you the number of a guy who can set you right on what to look out for. Just mentiom me, he knows who Saab Ed is. Looks a cheap enough car for what its worth.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

OP, if your still thinking of buying Mazda 6 then I would honestly recommended it, I just bought one myself on Wednesday and it s a fabulous car to drive and to be driven in and very comfortable.

Frustrating weekend, called the garage before i left the house but BMW had been sold by the time i got to garage, came back across town, same story with the Mazda6 i was going to testdrive....seems like there were a good few cars sold on saturday

think i've found another mazda6 i'm going to testdrive this week though

pushed out the budget a bit and went for an 2006 2l petrol Accord type S in the end, preferred it to the mazda 6 i test drove and think it's a nicer looking car, they seem to hold their value slightly better too

pushed out the budget a bit and went for an 2006 2l petrol Accord type S in the end, preferred it to the mazda 6 i test drove and think it's a nicer looking car, they seem to hold their value slightly better too

Excellent choice Sir. Feel free to post pics if you have any.

Wear well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

best of luck with it.:D

• Advertisement

Cheers for your help guys

Advertisement