Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book similar to Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

Options
  • 10-06-2009 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I'm currently finishing book 3 of the twilight series. When I finish book four I would love to read something similar. I know this series is a childrens book but I really adore them! Does anyone have any suggestions of other books or series like the twilight series?! Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Anne Rice's Vampire chronicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

This really shouldn't be in Literature... :pac:

Maybe try the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

If its vampires your after, definatly Anne Rice as suggested above, if it stephanie Meyer, she has another book called 'Host' which is also a good read, plus you can get the first book of twilight from Edwards point of view from her website. (its a draft). I think its Stephaniemeyer.com do a google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Thanks Everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CallistaRose

If it's the style of writing, there are a tone of books I could recommend. You might like Tithe, Valiant and Ironside. They are modern fairy tale. They have the same target age group.

Anita Blake as stated, is good. If there was something specific about Twilight you are looking for, Anne Rice might not be a good go unless you thought you could focus for it. I liked the Twilight books but couldn't stand Anne Rice (sorry for those who are fans of hers. I can't read Stephen King either. They both bore me <.<).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Magic.Marker

gogo wrote: »
    If its vampires your after, definatly Anne Rice as suggested above, if it stephanie Meyer, she has another book called 'Host' which is also a good read, plus you can get the first book of twilight from Edwards point of view from her website. (its a draft). I think its Stephaniemeyer.com do a google search.

But beware Midnight Sun is just a draft. It ends on chapter 12 and Stephenie Meyer doesn't intend to finish it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

She said she has actually decided to finish it now, but the full thing won't be out for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice. It's not lowbrow crud either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Or Elizabeth Kostova's "The Historian". My personal favourite when it comes to vampire stories (apart from the original and best from Stoker).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There's another series called the Vampire Academy series. I haven't read any of them but they seem popular.

• Advertisement

I also forgot to mention the Sookie Stackhouse series of books. They've been turned into a TV series called True Blood in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

dudara wrote: »
    I also forgot to mention the Sookie Stackhouse series of books. They've been turned into a TV series called True Blood in the states.

Guys thanks so much for all of the suggestions. I have ordered the Anne Rice book and actually have the Historian at home and never gone around to reading it. Thanks a mill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭term

House of Night series from PC & Kristen Cast are popular with Twilight readers. Latest 2 in the series have just come out over here. The books are from the same publishing house as Meyer, and will be HUGE this christmas 2009.

I've just finished reading a review copy of Hush Hush and I remembered this thread. It's quite like Twilight, only with fallen angels instead of vampires. I think that young adults will love it.
    Link to the review on my blog here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

The Mediator by Meg Cabot goes along the same lines but with a ghost rather than a vampire. Very enjoyable series. There are six altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tyrocks00

Anne Rice is AMAZING I love her vampire chronicles, but the mood is completely different than Twilight. I guess if you wanna read about vampires then any vampire novel would do haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Twilight_Muse

PC & Kristen Cast's House of Night Series.
    A whole series of books. there're much more, 'modern' than twilight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Are the Twilight books good??

I love Interview with a Vampire and The Historian but don't want a really kiddie book!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

They are very good. Well-written, and enjoyed by teenagers and adults alike. It's not a kiddes book, especially the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

cool may give them a try! Oh also try The Strain for a vampire book, just finished it!

• Advertisement

The Darkangel trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Some have mentioned 'The Historian'....I'm reading it at the moment and finding it a real struggle to get through it:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I'm after reading 'Let The Right One In'. Best vampire story I've read since Salem's Lot. I couldn't put it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Miskatonic

Ann22 wrote: »
    I'm after reading 'Let The Right One In'. Best vampire story I've read since Salem's Lot. I couldn't put it down.

Agree with you on Let the Right One In, great book! I would recommend the film too (it's in Swedish, I'd watch it before Hollywood remakes it and ruins it!)

OP I haven't read any of the Twilight series but recently read Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (this is the one that the new TV series True Blood is based on) and enjoyed it

Advertisement