Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights if Setanta collapses?

Options
  • 10-06-2009 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

I just noticed that Setanta took the next 12 months' subscription from my credit card on 1st June. What are my rights if the company collapses, which it looks like it might? If it collapses this month am I entitled to 11 months worth of the money back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Claim back from the cc company, I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Other then that if the company goes into administration not much else you can do, same as any other company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

cc wont entertain a claim after 60+ days iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There's almost nothing you can do. It's a sad and unfortunate situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

AFAIK Setanta Ireland are a seperate company and are only loosly bound to Setanta UK. If Setanta UK goes under the Irish operation should be safe as it can be seperated off. Heard it on the radio last night or this morning.

• Advertisement

Del, I think you're wrong there. There is one company (parent), but a number of legal entities - ie there is Setanta UK, Setanta Ireland, and Setanta US, Setanta Australia, (probably more too).

If Setanta go, all branches will go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Did you specifically authorize them to take 12 months from your card?
    Contact your CC company immediately and start a claim back.
    Act quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Del2005 wrote: »
    AFAIK Setanta Ireland are a seperate company and are only loosly bound to Setanta UK. If Setanta UK goes under the Irish operation should be safe as it can be seperated off. Heard it on the radio last night or this morning.

Not much use though if they can't show any football.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You can't claim from the CC company unless you have exhausted your claim with the company. You need a liquidator to be appointed and to refuse refunds.

a.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Paulw wrote: »
    Del, I think you're wrong there. There is one company (parent), but a number of legal entities - ie there is Setanta UK, Setanta Ireland, and Setanta US, Setanta Australia, (probably more too).

If Setanta go, all branches will go.

I heard it again this morning, the only one in trouble is the UK one and there is a chance that the other sections won't be affected/can come out of admistration without too much hassle.
    Not much use though if they can't show any football.

They are only in trouble for the UK TV rights the Irish TV rights are a seperate deal and not an issue. There is a small chance the Irish company could go down with the UK one, that's when the Irish viewing will disappear.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    I heard it again this morning, the only one in trouble is the UK one and there is a chance that the other sections won't be affected/can come out of admistration without too much hassle.

Do you have a source for that? Sounds very interesting indeed and I'd love to find out more. (off to check rte website)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Paulw wrote: »
    Do you have a source for that? Sounds very interesting indeed and I'd love to find out more. (off to check rte website)

The radio this morning stated Setanta Ireland and US are actually profitable and they might be spun off as seperate companys

Found an article in The Irish Times about it.

It would certainly be good if they can spin off the Irish arm of the company, and keep the rugby and other bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

They took 12 months subscription from my credit card last November even though I had cancelled my subscription in September. It was the first week in April before I received a refund cheque from them. IMO you haven't a hope of getting your cash back mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If the screens go blank cancel those Direct Debits quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Thanks all, it sounds like it's a case of fingers crossed they survive!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Tell them you want your money back and that they had no authorisation to take another year

If they refuse then charge the card back , it will be impossible if you do not initiate a chargeback shortly .

Advertisement