Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Fishing, havent a clue . .

Options
  • 10-06-2009 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Appreciate in advance any advice forwarded my way . .

Basically Im looking at taking up fishing as a hobby and dont know where to begin. I live in Bettystown (meath) on the East coast of Ireland.

From what little research I have done I see that there is differant bait used for rivers and the sea. Im not sure however if it really matters if you have differant rods for fishing in either. Im not flushed so would be looking to invest modest money in taking up this hobby.

http://www.anglersworld.ie/prodtype.asp?strParents=8&CAT_ID=209

Thats the website I have been looking on . .

Just wondering if anybody could give me some starter points . .

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sickofcats

You are possibly looking at 2 if not 3 different outfits for the type's of fishing you mention in your post.

(1) Sea / Beach Fishing...... you need a decent beach caster and either a large fixed spool reel or a multiplier

(2) Inland river / lakes again a Different set up, Something similar to the set up showing as the 2nd outfit in the link you provided

(3) Fly Fishing out fit rod reel line etc..

The original outlay for tackle can or cannot be expensive depending on what you choose.

Be aware that the rivers in your area i.e Boyne, Dee and Glyde etc all have angling clubs on them so Club Membership would be advisable.

Also the State License (District) will be needed for Salmon and Sea trout fishing.

It isn't cheap anymore but imo, it beats sitting in front of a TV all evening .

Best of luck whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

sickofcats wrote: »
    You are possibly looking at 2 if not 3 different outfits for the type's of fishing you mention in your post.

(1) Sea / Beach Fishing...... you need a decent beach caster and either a large fixed spool reel or a multiplier

(2) Inland river / lakes again a Different set up, Something similar to the set up showing as the 2nd outfit in the link you provided

(3) Fly Fishing out fit rod reel line etc..

The original outlay for tackle can or cannot be expensive depending on what you choose.

Be aware that the rivers in your area i.e Boyne, Dee and Glyde etc all have angling clubs on them so Club Membership would be advisable.

Also the State License (District) will be needed for Salmon and Sea trout fishing.

It isn't cheap anymore but imo, it beats sitting in front of a TV all evening .

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Thanks a mill for the tips.

I have contacted the cfb about a fishing licence (dont intend to fish salmon or trout but then again I wouldnt know one if I caught one!).

I remember the days when a stick, piece of string , hook and a worm were suffice, but some of the stuff out there makes a mockery of the old school ways!!

Is there a general fishing rod (decent make) that you can use for river and
    sea or is that sacrosanct! With this in mind would a sea fishing rod (one you mentioned) be better. I havent fished since 2002 and that was in Australia with crocs nearby!

Also, not being snotty but if you happened to be innocently fishing in a part of a river that has "members" areas, is just that you will be frowned upon or that you could end up in trouble. (Are rivers not for public use, within reason of course). Are these memberships for whole rivers or just sections. (just trying to make sure I dont get in a barny on something I dont understand!).

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sickofcats

Innocently Fishing as you put it, IF you know its club water would be classed as poaching, and you could find the boys in blue waiting at your car on your return.Usually ALL club water is clearly defined with large notices . You could plead ignorance the first time, but I doubt you'll get away with it a 2nd time.

The Beach caster set up I mentioned is exactly that... For beach casting, Probably not Ideal for general pier/ river or lake fishing, its more for distance from the shore.

Any tackle shop/ supplier would recommend a good carp / pike rod for your needs, again its whats within your budget that will determine your purchase, but for pier fishing etc a good sturdy rod would be required. There are alot of posts currently about mackeral fishing etc,I,m sure one of the lads will likely describe their set ups later....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Paulie907

Hi

My advise would be to go out with a guide for a day who can supply you with all the gear and give you some tips. Here is a website which has good shore marks/tips/bait everything you need really. i have found they are very friendly in the forum also.www.sea-angling-ireland.org. Any questions feel free to ask

P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Im not looking to step on any members clubs toes, Im only looking to fish for fun.

Will check out those recommendations by all . .

Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement