Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Customer Moving to London HELP!!

Options
  • 10-06-2009 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys i hope you can help me im currently with AIB and im planning to move to London in the next few weeks.

What im looking to do is to try get my current account set up with one of there sister branches in london so i have my account in sterling while im over there for a few months so i dont have to pay the conversion fees every time i use my irish lazer.

If this is not possible with AIB do any of you know which banks will allow me to set up a current account here in euro and then convert it into sterling like a duel account i think.

Many thanks

I hope you understand what im asking :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It doesn't work like that with AIB I'm afraid. Seperate banks (and AIB GB mostly mainly deal with business customers/clients of high net worth [the filthy rich]). None of the Irish banks can do what your asking, really.

Why not just set up an account with a UK bank when you get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Zularch wrote: »
    Hi guys i hope you can help me im currently with AIB and im planning to move to London in the next few weeks.

What im looking to do is to try get my current account set up with one of there sister branches in london so i have my account in sterling while im over there for a few months so i dont have to pay the conversion fees every time i use my irish lazer.

If this is not possible with AIB do any of you know which banks will allow me to set up a current account here in euro and then convert it into sterling like a duel account i think.

Many thanks

I hope you understand what im asking :P

Don't bother, won't work.

Best to get an account with Nationwide (the UK one, not the IE one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Zularch

Thanks guys for the info now that i know that its a bit of weight of my shoulders i just thought it was possible as i know people that have accounts in england but are under there irish address i just thought they might just switch my account to sterling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Zularch wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the info now that i know that its a bit of weight of my shoulders i just thought it was possible as i know people that have accounts in england but are under there irish address i just thought they might just switch my account to sterling

No, but if you go to your local branch and tell them your circumstances they may be able to do something for you.
    I'm not sure about AIB but Bank of Ireland do offer personal banking in the UK.

Check their website and give them a call to see what you can do. I have been in the same situation and needed to open an account in the UK prior to moving there, managed it with BOI, but had been a long time customer of theirs so that made a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I have a UK BOI acc and a ROI one. For all intents and purposes though it didnt seem to matter. When I required money transfers etc some time back it was just a foreign currency transaction with associated fees it was not relevant that I was transfering it to a ROI BOI acc it could have been to anywhere and would have cost the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement