Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gearbox failed on 00 Golf again!

• 10-06-2009 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

Lost fifth gear on my 2000 Golf, 1.6. Dropped it into the garage. They say it needs a replacement gearbox. Does anyone know of any good dismantlers who can deliver and not rip me off. I don't want new or reconditioned because the car is barely worth the money. Plus the one in the car was reconditioned and lasted barely two years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

That sucks op. The 1.4 and 1.6 are notorious for the gearbox going. You could try selling the car in full or for parts on www.vagdrivers.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Plus the one in the car was reconditioned and lasted barely two years.

I've seen re-con boxes blow after 6 months. IMO its luck of the draw with re-con boxes. Just aswell chance a second hand one from the scrappy, the odds of it blowing up are probably about the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

How much was it to replace the first time (including parts) out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

The reconned gearbox cost €1500 from the gearbox dealer. I was quoted €2000 at a different company. Plus there were extras and labour at the repair centre. That was 2 years ago, mind. I might as well get a second hand one gearbox, assuming there are any available given the the fact that Golf Gearboxes go bang all the time.

In fact, it would probably be better if I went and bought another Golf for the gearbox or give up altogether and get another car. I doubt if the car is more more than 3k at this point. I'll have a look at VAGdrivers.net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I'd buy a new car myself!

For 1k you can get something like this these days :pac:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1419507

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Thanks for the suggestion:D Whatever happens, I think it's time to move on. But it will have be at least a 2001 or later. I think a visit to the bank manager to see if they really are lending money again would be in order.

It's a pity really, the old Golf was pretty reliable except for that damm gearbox. I wonder are they any cheap Beemers out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I wonder are they any cheap Beemers out there.

lots and you don't want them. if you're trying to avoid big bills in the future don't invest in the false economy of a cheap BMW.

Advertisement