Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone for pre-pay internet access?

• 10-06-2009 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭

I'm currently on Meteor pre-pay, but switching to bill pay lite 25 soon. When I do, I'll need to get a new sim-card and phone just for internet access on my laptop (currently use the 99c / 50mb per day pre-pay rate).

I live in a non-3g area, so that rules out 3 and Vodafone. I can get EDGE speeds on both O2 and Meteor, so would probably stick with the Meteor prepay rate (the Meteor bill pay data add-on is not worth it)

I currently use an N95 8gb but couldn't be arsed swapping out sims everytime I want to connect to internet.

So what's the best cheapest phone for internet access via laptop?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

ablelocks wrote: »
    I currently use an N95 8gb but couldn't be arsed swapping out sims everytime I want to connect to internet.

Just use the n95 as a bluetooth or usb modem, no need to switch sim cards at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

How do you mean the data add on is not worth it? It's only €9.99 a month. Or do you mean it doesn't provide enough data?

In answer to your question, any nokia or SE with edge will do fine so just take a look at the network websites

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Just use the n95 as a bluetooth or usb modem, no need to switch sim cards at all.

I think you're misunderstanding him there. The sim that's in the N95 won't have an internet add on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭ablelocks

the sim in the n95 will be a bill pay sim, so I can't obviously avail of the pre-pay rate with that.

The data add-on is too expensive for the allowance you get. 250Mb on pre-pay = €5 (split over 5 days obviously) while on bill pay it's €10. I generally go online about 8-12 days per month, and usually use up the 50Mb. So that's a spend of €8-12 per month on basic home internet access. Meteor really need to get better data add-on packages for bill-pay.

ablelocks wrote: »
    the sim in the n95 will be a bill pay sim, so I can't obviously avail of the pre-pay rate with that.

The data add-on is too expensive for the allowance you get. 250Mb on pre-pay = €5 (split over 5 days obviously) while on bill pay it's €10. I generally go online about 8-12 days per month, and usually use up the 50Mb. So that's a spend of €8-12 per month on basic home internet access. Meteor really need to get better data add-on packages for bill-pay.

It depends how you use it really. I use data every day but don't use a lot so 250MB is fine for me at €9.99 where my small usage would cost €29.70 a month on pre pay. If you're using 50MB a day for more than 5 days the 250MB add on is useless of course, you can only get one a month. They really do need to increase the allowance on that add on, it's well behind the times.

Looks like your best option is a separate phone so. Again, any nokia or SE will be fine. It'll probably cost about €50

• Advertisement
Advertisement