Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed call from 6131??

Options
  • 10-06-2009 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all,

I received a missed call from the number '6131', no preceeding + or 00 (which would be Australia). I called Vodafone, Eircom and Directory Enquiries and none have anything to offer on the subject. They all say the number is too short to be a number, Vodafone couldn't see my received calls only my dialed calls and the operator doesn't seem to want to answer the phone. So after expensing all other avenues I dialed it back and it says it's not a number!

My Dad works for Eircom for 25 years and he's never heard of anything like it. Anybody have any idea where or what this is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

sometimes, when getting phone calls from my friends from different companies I'm getting their extension number only. Somehow this info overides caller ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭c0ldfyr3

On your mobile?? That sounds very strange, I've never seen anything like it before....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

A mate of mine got a phone call from Bank of Ireland on his mobile yesterday from a four digit number like that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes this happens to me regularly. There is a division where I work which has a different number to main company one and calls from them to my mobile just show the extension number thats being used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭c0ldfyr3

They called back today - turns out it was NTL/UPC! When I told them about the number that was showing up they were a bit surprised, think it's what the lads above said about the extension showing and not the rest.

What do you expect from a company with substandard equipment trying to pass it off as telecommunications equipment =P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I would say it has something to do with ISDN...A few years ago, when I was working in a job that involved programming office telephone systems, you could get the phone system to recognise the number that was dialled to get through to you (DDI feature so that you have 2 voice channels but up to 10 phone numbers for example: reception number is 01-123000, accounts direct number is 01-1230001...)

Either way, different eircom exchanges presented the number that was dialled in different manners to the office phone system - one exhange might say 01-1234567, another: 1-1234567, 1234567, 234567 etc... until the worst case scenario, an exchange just presents 4567. I suspect the opposite is happening in this case...

If you take this 6131 number, and add to it what NTL/UPC's block of 10,000 numbers are (I think it's 01-245XXXX) you should be able to dial 01-2456131 to get back through to this guy.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I got a phone call yesterday from Quinn-direct on 8405

Sounds like the extension numbers alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

c0ldfyr3 wrote: »
    What do you expect from a company with substandard equipment trying to pass it off as telecommunications equipment =P

Nothing to do with UPC trying to pass anything off as anything.
    Dardania wrote: »
    I would say it has something to do with ISDN...A few years ago, when I was working in a job that involved programming office telephone systems, you could get the phone system to recognise the number that was dialled to get through to you (DDI feature so that you have 2 voice channels but up to 10 phone numbers for example: reception number is 01-123000, accounts direct number is 01-1230001...)

Either way, different eircom exchanges presented the number that was dialled in different manners to the office phone system - one exhange might say 01-1234567, another: 1-1234567, 1234567, 234567 etc... until the worst case scenario, an exchange just presents 4567. I suspect the opposite is happening in this case...

If you take this 6131 number, and add to it what NTL/UPC's block of 10,000 numbers are (I think it's 01-245XXXX) you should be able to dial 01-2456131 to get back through to this guy.

D

You're right it can be dependant on how the exchange presents the number to the B party in the call. I've seen some strage things happening when dialling from a PBX out to another number sometimes due to misconfigurations e.g. numbers getting truncated so only the extension number is presented not the full number.
    Webmonkey wrote: »
    I got a phone call yesterday from Quinn-direct on 8405

Sounds like the extension numbers alright.

Yep that's probably what it was.....if you know the switch board number for the company and you chop off the last 4 digits and sub in the 8405 you should get through to that extension e.g. for me at work it'd be 207xxxx (no I'm not posting my extension number for the world and its mother to see :) )

Advertisement