Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP Conflict, HELP!

Options
  • 10-06-2009 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Im in France and sharing wi-fi with the neighbour (they have the modem etc.) Got connected on my laptop (windows xp) fine and have been using it without problems for the last 2 weeks. Yesterday my flat mate brought her laptop (windows vista) over from Ireland but when i gave her the password for the network, she was automatically given the same IP address which means that only one of us can use the internet at a time.

We've googled and been told to use the command prompt, typing in "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew".
    When we typed in the first (release) it came up,
    "the requested operation requires elevation"
    and when we tried "renew" it came up
    "no operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has media disconnected"
    This happens whether the said laptop is connected to the internet or not. we have no problem connecting just the one at a time.

Also, the laptops have brought up "Automatically find new IP settings", "Diagnose" and all but nothing has worked. We're at our wits end as we need our laptops to do college work, and to stay in contact with our families in ireland!!!!! HELP!! :confused::mad:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The Cool wrote: »
    Im in France and sharing wi-fi with the neighbour (they have the modem etc.) Got connected on my laptop (windows xp) fine and have been using it without problems for the last 2 weeks. Yesterday my flat mate brought her laptop (windows vista) over from Ireland but when i gave her the password for the network, she was automatically given the same IP address which means that only one of us can use the internet at a time.

We've googled and been told to use the command prompt, typing in "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew".
    When we typed in the first (release) it came up,
    "the requested operation requires elevation"

You need an admin privileged account.
    Also, the laptops have brought up "Automatically find new IP settings", "Diagnose" and all but nothing has worked. We're at our wits end as we need our laptops to do college work, and to stay in contact with our families in ireland!!!!! HELP!! :confused::mad:

Does the neighbour have a wifi modem? It's not clear how they're sharing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Spear wrote: »
    You need an admin privileged account.

Does the neighbour have a wifi modem? It's not clear how they're sharing it.

I need a what now?

As far as i know, its a wifi modem yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

They must have set the DHCP scope to only lease one ip.

As Spear said you need to login under the administrator account or an account with admin rights and then release the ip.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I need a what now?

As far as i know, its a wifi modem yes.

You need to be precise on this. Is it a single modem, with wifi access, or is it a router with wifi access? The modem will most likely only allow a single device to work at a time. What addresses are the laptops receiving anyway?

Spear wrote: »
    You need to be precise on this. Is it a single modem, with wifi access, or is it a router with wifi access? The modem will most likely only allow a single device to work at a time. What addresses are the laptops receiving anyway?

Eh... I couldnt tell you if its a modem or router. I havent seen it, and the neighbours are worse technophobes than i am.

@RoadkillTs, i have done it as administrator, nothing doing.

• Advertisement

Eh... I couldnt tell you if its a modem or router. I havent seen it, and the neighbours are worse technophobes than i am.

@RoadkillTs, i have done it as administrator, nothing doing.

There should be a model number of some kind on it. If you can get that it should be easy to tell what it's capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

First thing to try is to get the guys next door to power the router off and back on this might fix the problem if the address leases are messed up.

alternativly Bit of a long winded option and you would have to login to the laptop as a user with rights to make the changes.
    When you turn on your laptop that gives the elevated privilages message is there a choice to pick another user? if not try logging in as administrator with a blank password ( usually works if its not a work machine)

with a working machine run cmd and at the dos screen type in ipconfig /all

make a note of the following - ipaddress subnet mask default gateway
    and dns servers.

right click on the network and sharing icon next to the clock. and open it.
    click on manage network connections on the right and you should get a list of the devices, your lan will be disconnected and the wireless connected.

right click on the wireless adapter and click properties.
    on the ptotocol list pick tcpip 4 and properties then change the auto obtain to use the following. enter the details as noted before. on the second machine add 1 to the ip address used on the first laptop so if its 192.168.1.5 make the second one 192.168.1.6 fill in all the fields and it
    should work unless its a weird setup.

Try the router power cycle first though ( a lot less agro!!)
    also if you need to use the laptops elsewhere you will have to reverse the above steps and change back to obtain automaticlly in ip4 properties.
    :D

Thanks a million for all the suggestions guys, really appreciate it :)
    Unfortunately it seems the neighbours are away for the week, so we can't confront them about it!!!!!:rolleyes:

Managed to get a hold of a technology-wise mate at home, who recommended we try sharing the network, so went out today and bought a Cisco Linksys Wireless USB Adapter.

We had followed all guidelines on the manual and in Windows Help,set up an ad-hoc connection, yet we still have the same problem, one laptop will connect grand, yet the other won't.

We reckon it's some kind of problem connecting the ad-hoc network to the wireless network the neighbours have next door.
    The host laptop will connect to the neighbour's wireless and our own ad-hoc simultaneously no problem, and the Internet will work away.
    However, when we try connect the second laptop (client) to the ad-hoc connection it shows that the laptop is connected to the ad-hoc, but that the ad-hoc is not connected to the Internet.

Once again, thanks for all the help guys:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

If you run an ipconfig to get the default gateway and type that address
    into your web browser you should get the router config screen ( like you would have for the new one you bought ) if your lucky you dont need a password it might be user admin password blank or user admin password admin or user root password blank those are the most common ones.

if you can get in go to tools or admin tools and pick reboot router.

OPTION 2.

on the new router try setting it up as a "bridge" or "access point" details should be in the manual this will allow you to setup your own network at your side using the one ip from the other.
    :D

Advertisement