Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry - lough currane, river luane, kilarney lakes

Options
  • 10-06-2009 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

lads im hitting these places over weekend and early next week.
    how are these places fishing?
    any hot spots to visit?
    what flies work well?
    - lough currane
    - river laune
    - kilarney lakes
    pm if you wish
    any advice welcome
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

check out the fishery reports under 'loughcurrane.com'. Generally kept up to date although I was told to take some of the reports there with a pinch of salt as it is kept up to date by a gillie and if there aren't any fish being caught then he doesnt get business. That, perhaps, is just a conspiracy theory though ;)

Think there is a break in the weather tues- thurs next week. Should be good for the fishing on any of the places you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

thirtypence, how did you get on in Kerry? Please let us know.

The reports on Lough Currane are updated by the Fishery Manager, whose reports are generally reliable, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Slasher wrote: »
    The reports on Lough Currane are updated by the Fishery Manager, whose reports are generally reliable, in my experience.

I started fishing Currane about 3 years ago. Always planned my trips based on the reports i.e. if there was a lot of trout being caught I would try and get down. It was a couple of anglers I know, that are a lot more experienced fishing it, told me to take those reports with a pinch of salt because it was in the best interest of the people running the website to have as many anglers coming down as possible. Makes sense if you think about it but Im still not sure who to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭thirtypence

thirtypence, how did you get on in Kerry? Please let us know.

we fished currane on the saturday of the weekend that we were down, it was tough fishing conditions, nearly gale force winds......bewteen 4 of us we had 6 sea trout on the fly in currane on mallard and claret and black pennel flies....biggest sea trout was 3lb.........from talking to the locals down there the best chance of a big trout or salmon is on the troll........we also fished the river laune on the friday evening and had brown trout to 2lb and also fished the kilarney lakes where we has trout to 1 1/2lb

I fished Lough Currane for three days last week. There had been little rain, so the lake was about 11 inches below where it should be. Fishing was poor for us, we got three decent sea trout for the three days, one was 4.5 pounds.

The day after we left, one angler landed a 9 pound trout. Sweet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭thirtypence

I fished Lough Currane for three days last week. There had been little rain, so the lake was about 11 inches below where it should be. Fishing was poor for us, we got three decent sea trout for the three days, one was 4.5 pounds.

The day after we left, one angler landed a 9 pound trout. Sweet!

what flies did you get the trout on? what size flies?

what flies did you get the trout on? what size flies?

Red Arsed Green Peter. Size 10, I think, or maybe 12.

Advertisement