Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a camera

• 10-06-2009 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Hello people of boards photography!

I'm really into photography and looking for a good camera. I'm looking for something mid-range, nothing fancy due to budget limitations (I'm only 18). I don't really want an SLR, I don't want something that you have to spend a fortune on extra lenses basically.

I will mainly be taking shots outdoors of static and slow moving objects.

I was thinking of something along the lines of this:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmS8000fd/

or this:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08081201fujifilms2000hd.asp

Any ideas or any other alternatives that I should consider?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

maybe this:
    http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/s/finepix_s100fs/product_views/

but don't rule out an SLR, you can stick with the lens it comes with and upgrade as you go along if and when you can afford to. If you really are into photography you are likely to get frustrated about the fact you can't upgrade lenses in the future IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I'm a big fan of the Fuji bridges, had the 'original of the species' for three or four years, and now my 15-year-old son is using it. But unless you really need HD video, I wouldn't throw money at the latest and greatest model. For less than half the money you could have nearly as much fun learning on something like the S5600, then step up to a DSLR when you outgrow it*. There are a few secondhand ones on adverts.ie, might be worth considering if money's tight. These kind of cameras are usually well looked after because (a) they've been bought by people into photography, rather than point-and-shooters, and (b) they don't fit into shirt/jeans pockets/handbags, etc, so they don't get thrashed.

[Edit: * Sorry, just read over that and didn't mean to come over patronising or anything...! :o]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

peckerhead wrote: »
    For less than half the money you could have nearly as much fun learning on something like the S5600, then step up to a DSLR when you outgrow it

Ya that is what I was thinking myself, by something cheap/reasonably priced now and upgrade to an SLR when I am older. Don't worry you didn't sound patronising at all!

That is a very nice one peckerhead but a tiny bit over my budget. Maybe I should save a little longer?

The only thing I dislike about the fuji is the lack of a Lithium-ion battery. My current camera uses AA batteries as well and I use rechargeables but after a year the life is going very short on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

What kind of money are you looking to spend ?? You can get decent enough entry level SLR's at good prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I wholeheartedly recommend that you follow the opening post in the "So you are looking for a new camera thread" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

cian1500ww wrote: »
    What kind of money are you looking to spend ?? You can get decent enough entry level SLR's at good prices.

Bout 350 max... Wouldn't mind a good second hand one. I'll be keeping my eye on adverts for a while.

Sorry for not reading the stickie, tbh I never noticed it, usually all that is stickied is the rules of the forum and so-forth so I never looked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

If you go secondhand, you should get a lot of camera for that money.
    My last buy was this for €150 with a case, a UV filter and a 4GB card. Kind of a last-stop-before-DSLR-land...
    But for €350 you should certainly be able to pick up a half-decent DSLR with kit lens. Maybe that's the way to go.

Sorry to bring back up this thread but I bought a camera today! I got a fujfilm s9500 with leather case, 2gb card, tripod, charger for €200. Really happy with it so far although I'm still trying to familiarise myself with some of its features.

Anyways here is the first pic I took with it:
    1stpic.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Really happy with it so far although I'm still trying to familiarise myself with some of its features.

Congrats - don't worry familiarising yourself can take a life time :)

Do hang around and take part in the chat. All welcome.

Advertisement