Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD -pregnancy - IRCSET

Options
  • 10-06-2009 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi there,

I am a second year PhD student and just found out that I am pregnant. I am very happy :), but I can't find any information on consquences for my IRCSET-scholarship. Does anyone know if it is possible to stop the scholarship for about 5 months and to continue when the baby is a few months old?
    It is still to early to tell people about my pregnancy... But I am also a bit nervous about it..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I'd ring up IRCSET themselves first. Don;t bother mentioning it to your supervisor etc.

You should be able to suss out the relevant information without giving your name away. Then you can announce the pregnancy at an appropriate time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

This is something that you should discuss with your supervisor (I guess this is more important if you were working in a chemical lab like myself).

In dealing with IRCSET I have always found them slow to repond, if they do at all. Maybe give the department who deal with research grants (whoever set it up for you) and see how this is generally handled for any funding area.

Let us know what the procedure is here. This is something I'd like to be aware of too.

Actually, people do take leave of absences and you should not feel a heel for applying for one.

Good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Eleonor

Thanks for your suggestions :) .

I called them and they advised me to write a letter to apply for maternity leave. It is no problem to wait until the 12th week (when I want to tell my supervisor and the rest of the world about the little guy or girl in my womb :) )

(Don't worry, I am not working in a lab :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Glad you have it all sorted :) Best of luck.

Advertisement