Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moog modular help

• 10-06-2009 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

okay so ive been using the moog modular a bit(arturia).

i like it alot but i feel like im only scratching the surface with it.
    im not confident with the routing in it and the vast array of options in it is a bit of a headmelt.

soooo(looking at one person in particular here who recently got screenflick:D)

anyone fancy doing a little walk through.:D
    i cant really find any on youtube.
    or indeed if anyone has any insight into it id appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

That's a can of worms ;)

You'd learn more by playing around with a real modular and then taking that knowledge back to the moog - that's what it's aimed at to be honest.

Or, if you think about the signal path through a digi synth then the routing becomes comprehensible.

e.g. - Osc --> AMP --> Filter --> Outs - that sort of thing.

You'll always need an Osc before anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

yeah i can do the basics alright but i lose the signal path when it comes to the modulation.
    its a pretty daunting plug in to be honest but i wanna get deeper into synthsesis and i reckon this might be a good one to try out seeing as how i have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

The modulation work like any LFO - you can really abuse modular synths with these LFO/Modulators - basically take an output from an LFO/MOD and put it into something like the pitch cv of an Osc and play with the MOD speed while you play a note ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ah jaysus, nash don't be hinting at me so obviously. yeah i'll do a walkthrough for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Its definitely a daunting plugin to learn. Takes up so much of the damn screen as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

jtsuited wrote: »
    ah jaysus, nash don't be hinting at me so obviously. yeah i'll do a walkthrough for ya.
    :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i think a lot of people get thrown by the fact that the modulation depth is controlled by how much the screw is turned on the actual modulation input.

I find the modular the easiest way of synth programming. Because you don't have to imagine the signal path. You can see it in front of you.

In general and in the most basic setup, with the moog modular, you just go Osc>Filter>ADSR, using one of the env generators to control the filter and maybe an LFO to control the fm and pwm of the osc's drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

yeah i'll do a walkthrough for ya.

I'd like to see this
    ... the modulation depth is controlled by how much the screw is turned on the actual modulation input.

it had me stumped ! had a go this morning... nice

OT but we could do some kind of light bulb icon !

Advertisement