Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to breed a male Yorkshire Terrier

Options
  • 10-06-2009 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My girlfriends family have a male Yorkie that they would love to breed and keep the bloodline going.

He is 12 years old and he has a fantastic personality. His parents were both pure breed Yorkshire Terriers.

If anyone knows of anybody that would be interested or breeds them for a living please contact me. If you want to send me a pm you can get me here

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you want some pictures, let me know and I will get some.

Thanks again!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Wil you be able to get papers for the pups if your dog is 12years old. Do they not have an age limit thingy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Is this dog registered?
    Are you looking for a registered dame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

star-pants wrote: »
    Is this dog registered?
    Are you looking for a registered dame?

Starpants ... I love your signature. sooooooo cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Isn't he a bit old for hanky panky lol.

His offspring may or may not have his temprament so you won't be guaranteed another one of him so to speak.

Can see why you want to carry on his good temprament etc. but ensure he has no other health issues not sure a breeder would allow their dog to be bred by an older pooch not sure what the ikc policy, if any, is on that so contact the IKC they will also have a list of breeders etc.

If you must go ahead with this then ensure that everything is above board someone may use your dog and then refuse to give you any pups and just sell them on to the highest bidder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Thanks for all the replies. To be honest I'm not sure if they have papers (I reckon they probably do though).

I don't think they are too bothered about being able to get papers for the pups, but that might be a problem when it comes to finding a breeder willing to help. I'll contact the IKC and see what they say. We do have a few breeders, but I don't know how recent they are. I'll be starting to ring around shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Please ask them to really strongly think about this before they do it.

For a start I wouldn't be breeding a 12 year old. Also if they are eager to keep the bloodline going but are not that bothered about getting papers for the pups then what is the point?

Yorkies are not as popular as they once were and we're starting to get alot of them showing up in the pounds in bad condition so if they're contributing to breeding a litter then they'd want to be very sure they're dealing with a reputable breeder.

In my opinion they'd be better off leaving well alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Is a 12 year old too old to have the relevant breed health tests carried out? Would the results be reliable, what with the age of his body?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

TBH I'd be inclined to say leave it alone too when he's so old. Also given what Toulose has said about a lot of them now ending up in pounds.

I have a friend who has bred them for years without any prob's. But they are KCreg.

I doubt anyone would let you use their bitch when he not reg, also he'd want to be a good model of the breed. I've seen a few yorkies that look rather dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

cloudy day wrote: »
    TBH I'd be inclined to say leave it alone too when he's so old. Also given what Toulose has said about a lot of them now ending up in pounds.

I have a friend who has bred them for years without any prob's. But they are KCreg.

I doubt anyone would let you use their bitch when he not reg, also he'd want to be a good model of the breed. I've seen a few yorkies that look rather dubious.

Your looking to breed to get a pup that will be like the dog you have at the moment, more than likley, should you decide to go ahead and breed the dog there may be more than one pup in the litter (they can have 3 generally speaking) You wold definitley have to get your dog health checked, as well as the bitch you decided to go to to ensure both are healthy etc

What would your palns be for the remaining pups :confused: will you keep them or sell them ..if you decide to sell them will you be ensuring they are going to good homes and not money hungry puppy farmers/factories?

I know your girlfriends family have a romantic idea of feeping the line goinjg but there are so many other yorkies out there with great personalities already looking for homes (either to be bought or rehomed)

Advertisement