Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD MRUP (Masters in Regional & Urban Planning)

Options
  • 10-06-2009 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

hi there , anyone have any info about this course or other planning related courses/masters ??

If a person completed the four year undergraduate program in Spatial Planning in DIT and wanted to do a masters afterwards
    - would the ucd MRUP be an appropriate choice in your opinion or would it be redundant/repetitive having completed the four year undergraduate in DIT??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

hi there , anyone have any info about this course or other planning related courses/masters ??

If a person completed the four year undergraduate program in Spatial Planning in DIT and wanted to do a masters afterwards
    - would the ucd MRUP be an appropriate choice in your opinion or would it be redundant/repetitive having completed the four year undergraduate in DIT??

Before I start, I want you to know that I've just finished the BA in Geography, Planning and Environmental Policy in UCD, so the MRUP has been our goal since 1st year. It's the antithesis of our undergraduate degree, also I'm top of the class as this undergraduate course goes so here's my advice.:pac:

Don't do it!
    If you want a 20 grand of debt then by all means do it, but I wouldn't do it. There is absolutely zero planning jobs, there is nothing for planners now (My brother has an MSc in Environmental Planning from QUB, nobody in his class of 40 got a job in planning last year). The course is good and you would piss it handy so you would, you're undergrad is tens times better than the UCD one (our one is a total load of bullshíte) and you'd be offered the course at the drop of a hat with a 2.1 even a 2.2 (I'm not joking, I've lectures with the MRUP crowd over the last 2 years, this year was the first time I encountered 2.2 people in the course). However, if I were you I'd apply to Queens or UCL, it's one year, cheaper, it's the british system which would mean you'd get something abroad. The MRUP is overpriced, it's very disjointed (i.e. loads of modules, structure some times isn't superb etc... but it's tailored specifically towards the Irish system). I really wouldn't do this course, it's not worth the money, it's more a of status thing for planning in Ireland. There are great lecturers, lots of interesting topics etc... but I wouldn't do it. Now, you've a spatial qualification, is your course accredited by the RTPI? If so, have a look at the Bartlett School of Planning in UCL, that's planning central it's the best place to do planning in the world, really good so it is. Queens is good as well, wouldn't bother with Cork. The thing is the housing market bottomed out so we're left in the **** in Ireland, emigration is crucial if you want to be a planner not unless of course you have contacts in the County Council etc... Really the MRUP is a glorified, self aggrandizing course that capitalised off an overinflated housing market. Keep looking abroad, especially britain, more work, cheaper courses, better planning system by miles!

PM me specific questions about the MRUP course, modules etc... I can give you more details about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

Thanks for the detailed response el siglo, appreciate it, at the moment the undergrad is not rtpi accredited but i know in the past this hasnt stopped people getting work in england, i agree england is definitely the best option, thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Just got offered this today. Does this department grant deferrals for this course atall?

Just got offered this today. Does this department grant deferrals for this course atall?

No they're really anal about that in fact, we (BA GPEP) aren't guaranteed the course unless we do it after our degree in what is called the 'accelerated programme'.

It's not the worst course in the world, it's better than a pissy MA in some mickey mouse yoke. You'll be doing 6 or 7 taught modules in semester 1, studio and a development plan in semester 2 with a few modules, second year then is mainly your urban design project, one or two modules, studio and research project, there's no thesis in the two year MRUP programme. What I will say to you now is start reading up on your urban and regional economics, collaborative planning, housing, urban design compendium etc... because when you start it will hit you like a ton of bricks! And because you're paying good money for it you don't want to mess it up with a dodgey semester. Also, get to know the final year BA GPEP people you're in with, if your lucky they're might be a medal winner there that you can turn to (trust me, the undergrad crowd have being doing planning for 2 years, some of them might actually have half a brain cell!). Also, it helps if you read the stuff written by some of the lecturers thesis supervisors (e.g. read some Brendan Murtagh for some of Mark Scott's stuff etc...) tricks of the trade really help. Also, get used to the word 'sustainability', it will drive you mad!:eek: Seriously, you will be inundated with stuff to read, and you will have to hit the ground running, that's the thing with the MRUP, UCD are desperate to keep it up to scratch with the IPI and RTPI, it will push you pretty hard, but stick with it once you've started it gets better with the development plan and urban design projects. Oh finally, get some work experience, even unpaid it will stand to you in some way e.g. GIS, planning guidelines etc... Keep an eye on the job market constantly, especially in the UK, but also remember that the MRUP qualifies you to do a number of different jobs besides planning so bear that in mind. Last bit of information, any lectures with Derry O'Connell, I suggest you drink at least three redbulls and have water at hand, you'll understand once you have him.;)

Wow it sounds really intense. Im scared now! Coming from a very broad undergrad B.A programme it sounds like alot to take in. I dont even know if I want to do planning! Agh this is so confusing... my thesis did deal with the effects of bad planning in an urban area but it was nothing like this. God now i feel like the mickey mouse candidate here that has somehow slipped in here! I really need to defer i am not ready to take on a two year commitment of this magnitude at the moment. :(

• Advertisement

Wow it sounds really intense. Im scared now! Coming from a very broad undergrad B.A programme it sounds like alot to take in. I dont even know if I want to do planning! Agh this is so confusing... my thesis did deal with the effects of bad planning in an urban area but it was nothing like this. God now i feel like the mickey mouse candidate here that has somehow slipped in here! I really need to defer i am not ready to take on a two year commitment of this magnitude at the moment. :(

Ah don't panic now, relax.:pac: It could be worse, it could be an MSc in Actuary or something mad like that! The trick to doing it is, keep your eye on the prize. It's tough and unyielding, but considering from this years 1st year MRUP, you'll fly it. It's not as tough as it once was (prior to modularisation it was a bitch of a course) it's tough in parts but you'll get through it, there is a lot of work involved and judging from the fat that you're user address is Galway, then the relaxed atmosphere of the west is non-existent with the Planning crowd. Keep on top of your assignments, do as much reading as you can, you'll be reading a lot of shít, once you do that, 2nd year won't be as bad. Good luck with it either way, and as I said in my earlier comments, feel free to pm me any specific questions about the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I just finished the 4 year ungergrad at DIT too and I'm wondering what other masters people considered?

I got a 1st so my options are pretty open, all I've applied for so far is the MSc. in GIS and Remote Sensing in NUIM. Got accepted but not sure if I want to do it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Lots of my buddies did this in 1999-2001 in UCD. They all got jobs as it was boom time but nnow its a very very different story.

They got some shock when they went into the Council...nice cushy Council number...BUT no jobs now..they are letting people on contracts go...so expect unemployment after 2 years in UCD.

If you have any ambition stay away from the Local Authorities..my buddies tell me its a joke and they pull in around 55k a year..and their brains have turned to mush.

Wow i really dont know if I should accept this now! A deferral is on the cards no matter what i get offered this summer because i have a case of itchy feet and want to get my travelling done this year before I settle down and do a masters. Im thinking I will see if DIT offer me the Msc in Sustainable Development!
    Although a 55K a year job does sound nice I dont think I could hack a council-type office job!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Yeah they say its like being back in school...everyone has nicknames, they all score with the same birds in Admin, and go beering together...while it is a nice secure publin sector number I would rather chew my arm off than get stuck there.

• Advertisement

Yeah they say its like being back in school...everyone has nicknames, they all score with the same birds in Admin, and go beering together...while it is a nice secure publin sector number I would rather chew my arm off than get stuck there.

yeah me too! id rather be out and about or working for myself!

Advertisement