Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do election posters have to be down by?

Options
  • 10-06-2009 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

by law?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

7 days from end of polling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

7 days of election day I think

I know FG were planning to take down their posters in Dublin Central

Maybe the rain has put a stop to that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Yeah, seven days. Fine for non-compliance is €1300 IIRC. No idea whether that's per poster, let's hope it is.

Most of them are down in Limerick city, even the local candidates. Kathy Sinnott's are still up and Alan Kelly supporters seem to have forgotten about their posters near the Milk Market as they took them down everywhere else. Fine Gael euro posters are still up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cant see them being fined since they got away (mostly) with putting them up early. Must down here also, few still up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

To be fair almost all posters are gone here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

They were just taken down here. (And this is Ballymun!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Access to the cycle track at Dollymount is partly blocked by one for the Greens...ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The only one's I've seen still up are SF "Take Action" and a bunch of FF candidates.

I've seen one or two Joe Higgins posters still around but the bulk seems to be gone. Nice to see them disappear almost as quickly as they were put up.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Has anyone been fined yet for having left a poster up beyond the 7 days? My recollection is that the relevant council usually notify the 'offender' and give them another week or so to take them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nah, nobody is ever fined

You might get a warning and a strongly worded letter from the council, but that's about it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

Shay Brennan's are still up, I'm sure he's still inconsolable :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

You will always have a few stragglers, I can guarantee that the occasional one will still be on view in three months. I remember one of Frank McNamera (PDs, Dublin South Central) still on show in Terenure, in September 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

All down here except SFs. In fairness, the FF and FG ones were down on Saturday last.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭squonk

There were a few FG/Lab ones up on my road til yesterday and they came down. There's only one Deirdre De Burca poster left now on the ralings beside the train line up my raod. I was impressed myself how quickly they came down. You don't mind the odd one staying up really. On a nice note, there's a poster for an independent candidate near Pearse St. that is still up but now has a Thank You sticker on it. Young guy, can'r remember the name now but a bit different and a nice thing to do imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

mikemac wrote: »
    Nah, nobody is ever fined

You might get a warning and a strongly worded letter from the council, but that's about it

Oh I can assure you that they do! I know a candidate from general election 2007 personally, who got fined for a number of his posters left up; 150 euro a pop. Someone in Limerick also got a hefty fine for having his posters up too early this time around.

Legally, all posters have to be down by midnight tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Kathy Sinnott and Tom O' Callaghan have a fair few on....a street in Limerick. Wouldn't want to be helping them find them now would we hahaha:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

copacetic wrote: »
    7 days from end of polling.
    edit post: 7 days from being up the pole. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Miss Ferris will be in for a nasty shock as I have counted at least 10 of her posters still up in Roscrea. That's €1500 in fines. :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Eibhlin Byrne's ghastly mug is still looking down from lamp posts in south dublin.

Advertisement