Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what a mistake

• 10-06-2009 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

decided back in march that i needed to change my claped out car, went to 2 dealers and saw 2 cars i liked, made the mistake of putting down a deposit on one, ofcourse finance came through and couldnt afford to lose deposit.

Anyways, 3 months later ive a real nice car, ford focus zetec, 2 dr. love the car part from the fact that its stinging me 300 a month in payments and bout 100 a month in petrol, I drive between dublin and belfast quite a lot.

Have decided today that I want to try and change my car, spoke to a dealer today who said that depending on how much bank want to settle the finance he might be able to do me a deal and bring my payments down and also get me a diesel so will be a heck of a lot better on the gogo juice.

Have been looking at a 2005 Peugeot 307 1.4HDi. What do people think bout them, have never driven a peugeot, only ever fords and suzuki. I know that the MPG is going to be better, at mo im only getting about 34-36 mpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Surely you mean €100 a week in petrol? Not nit picking, just €25 a week is very low for the long journeys you describe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Surely the cost of financing a newer car over a longer term on top of the finance you already have, for a lower monthly rate would outweigh the fuel costs you currently pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

bazz26 wrote: »
    Surely the cost of financing a newer car over a longer term on top of the finance you already have, for a lower monthly rate would outweigh the fuel costs you currently pay?

Absolutely, people view loans and fuel costs as if they were different things entirely, instead of both being expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 railto

Surely you mean €100 a week in petrol? Not nit picking, just €25 a week is very low for the long journeys you describe?

yeah your right, wasnt thinking straight there.

what has been offered to me is that i get the settlement figure from the bank, new dealer will pay it off, i trade the car in and get a value for it, i then take a new finance for the new car, plus the difference of settlement and tradein, will work out a bit cheaper, also with moving to a diesel car that has a much better MPG rating i will be saving quite a lot.

including tax, insurance and petrol my car costs are about 850 a month. by doing this i estimate that i will be able to bring it down to about 700-750 a month, thats 100-150 a month better off in my bank account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

railto wrote: »

what has been offered to me is that i get the settlement figure from the bank, new dealer will pay it off, i trade the car in and get a value for it, i then take a new finance for the new car, plus the difference of settlement and tradein, will work out a bit cheaper, also with moving to a diesel car that has a much better MPG rating i will be saving quite a lot.

including tax, insurance and petrol my car costs are about 850 a month. by doing this i estimate that i will be able to bring it down to about 700-750 a month, thats 100-150 a month better off in my bank account

At the end of the day not a lot is it?

you have a car you are pleased with & buying something you don't really know much about,

your new finance is going to run longer than the present,

best of luck whatever you decide ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

snowman707 wrote: »

you have a car you are pleased with & buying something you don't really know much about,

+1

And you are also driving a superior car IMO than you would be buying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Kartale

railto wrote: »

This makes no sense. If the dealer settles your finance he then becomes owner of the car, you wont then get the trade in value off the Pug 307.
    You will just be buying the Pug straight.
    Maybe you know this already it just not clear in your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

I'd be concerned about that MPG, I drive a 3.2ltr 2 tonne car and 80 euro a week does me in Dublin (around 8-14mpg) if I drive up north or down the country I average around 33mpg on a good trip on a 1.6/1.8 focus I'd be asking questions spending that much on fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 railto

Kartale wrote: »
    This makes no sense. If the dealer settles your finance he then becomes owner of the car, you wont then get the trade in value off the Pug 307.
    You will just be buying the Pug straight.
    Maybe you know this already it just not clear in your post

i know that, have decided against the 307, not due to the car, due to the dealer, just not too sure about them. Going to go through same dealer as where I got the focus, and am looking at an 07 focus LX 1.6 TDCi, just waiting on a call with regards to the pricing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

snowman707 wrote: »

EPM wrote: »
    +1

And you are also driving a superior car IMO than you would be buying
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Matt Simis wrote: »
    Absolutely, people view loans and fuel costs as if they were different things entirely, instead of both being expenses.

I think all the above says it really. When you factor in the cost of buying a car, you will not save, you're mpg could be better of course, but in the long run the cost of changing outweighs the benefits IMO of better MPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Have a ford focus LX 1.4 petrol my self. And i get around 36 to 38mpg and that would be with half town driving and half country driving. You should check what MPG your petrol car should be getting. And see if your getting close to that. My car can do 46mpg at best with only motorway driving.

Advertisement