Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marketing calls from Tel:0010000000000

Options
  • 10-06-2009 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Got two of these today to a landline. Load of crap from some marketing company in the states wanting a minute for your time, and they would donate something to charity.

Seems a lot of people are getting this everywhere, not just ireland. What is the company getting out of it, because i know stuff like this has appeared before, but dont you have to 'press 1' or similar and from then you are being charged or something along those lines

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Did they ask if you had a credit card, and were you in good stead with them, by any chance? The only call I've ever had like that was one that asked this, and I was entered into a competition to win a holiday.

Low and behold, 2 days later I get a call proclaiming that I had won it, happy days eh? Not quite, they spend about 20 minutes going through the ins and outs of the holiday, together with the small nominal fees associated with each part (additional charges, taxes, and so on), which totaled $900 for a holiday I had won. Oh, and I needed to make my own way over to Florida too.

Quite a common scam when I looked into it, seems many Irish people had been conned by this crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Disappointed i didnt get my free* holiday now :D

They never mentioned credit cards or anything like that. They actually wanted to know about the irish health service which seemed strange to me. What do i think is worst about, and how is it effecting me etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I got a call from one of them once when I was off sick bored at home telling me I was winning a free trip to florida. I sounded interested and they stayed on for at least 30 minutes detailing all the wonderful things I was going to win, then eventually came up with some excuse for needing my credit card number. I told them I'd left it in work, but if they gave me a number I'd call them back the next day. They told me once I hung up the offer would have to be passed to the next person, and was I sure I didn't have my credit card number on any old bills that might be lying around - obviously realising they'd just wasted 40 minutes talking to someone who wasn't going to bite. Passed a bit of time for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

what you do is tell them you need to go get your card and ask them to wait a minute, leave the phone down with them still connected, and go about your business

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Try the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4qved5nPjA

Priceless :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I got a miscall from some UK number. I rang it and its an automated queuing system that keeps telling you place in the queue. When i get to the top of the queue its a voicemail box. Now to wait for my phone records to update to see of i was scammed by some UK company.

Number is 0870 878 2261. Is that a UK premium number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is a UK national rate number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I got a miscall from some UK number. I rang it and its an automated queuing system that keeps telling you place in the queue. When i get to the top of the queue its a voicemail box. Now to wait for my phone records to update to see of i was scammed by some UK company.

Why would you return a call to a number you don't know? If it's a genuine call, they should either call you back, or leave a voicemail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

seagull wrote: »
    Why would you return a call to a number you don't know? If it's a genuine call, they should either call you back, or leave a voicemail.

I buy products from UK companies and thought it was a different company who was trying to contact me.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I just got one of these calls. They wanted to know what I considered to be the major concern for health in Ireland - diet, exercise or water. Then went on to ask me did I drink water and if it was bottled, filtered or from the tap. Said they would make a donation to a charity on my behalf and asked me which charity I would like it to go to. WTF?

I'm beginning to think it's that H20 water filter crowd up to their old tricks again. I've been through a similar kind of thing with them before and I'll be telling them to f**k off if they ring back - which I'm sure they will.

Anyone else had any of these calls recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Mollywolly wrote: »
    I just got one of these calls. They wanted to know what I considered to be the major concern for health in Ireland - diet, exercise or water. Then went on to ask me did I drink water and if it was bottled, filtered or from the tap. Said they would make a donation to a charity on my behalf and asked me which charity I would like it to go to. WTF?

I'm beginning to think it's that H20 water filter crowd up to their old tricks again. I've been through a similar kind of thing with them before and I'll be telling them to f**k off if they ring back - which I'm sure they will.

Anyone else had any of these calls recently?

Got one last night saying they were doing a survey (for HMI or some TLA like that) and they'd make a donation to charity. I was already in a bad mood and I'd only just got in the door, so I told her it was a bad time. Asked me did I not have 30 seconds and they'd make a donation to Concern - was tempted to ask them how much they were donating, then tell them I'd donate double and tell them to f off, but I pretty much just hung up on her instead.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mollywolly wrote: »
    I just got one of these calls. They wanted to know what I considered to be the major concern for health in Ireland - diet, exercise or water. Then went on to ask me did I drink water....

You should have said that you don't drink or wash with water as its the work of the devil, damn that H2O

Was definitely H20. Got another call last night from one of their telesales girls thanking me for taking part in their survey and that I had qualified for a free gift blah blah blah. Told her that a few years ago I endured a long sales pitch from one of their aggressive salesmen and that I didn't fancy another go, thank you very much!

So unless you really fancy winding them up, ignore any calls from the 001 etc number.

Cabaal wrote: »
    You should have said that you don't drink or wash with water as its the work of the devil, damn that H2O

Wasn't thinking on my feet Cabaal, maybe next time they ring :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What about telling Eircom/BT etc. that you don't want direct marketing calls? Haven't had one of the time-wasting feckers ring me up since I put in a request to BT.

Advertisement