Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to work enterprise allowance

Options
  • 10-06-2009 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Has anybody had any expeience with this scheme?
    If so how did you get on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

what do you want to know? The scheme is very simple. you get you Dole and it decreases by 25% every year for four years.. Are you looking for more detailed responce, if so state what and ask a more detailed question!! Other wise Im not too sure what to say to ya!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dewie

I'm not sure which scheme you mean............

I was made redundant in March and have just applied for the new Short-term Enterprise Allowance Scheme. When i went to speak with someone at Social Welfare Offices i was told it didnt exist. So I printed the info from the Social Welfare website, brought it back to them and then they agreed that it did.

Anyway the criteria is as follows:

TheSupplementary Budget April 2009 announced a number of changes to the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance Scheme.
    • From 1 May 2009, the amount of time you can participate on the BTWEA scheme will be reduced from 4 years to 2 years for new applicants. Also from 1 May 2009, the qualifying period required for BTWEA is reduced from 2 years to 12 months provided you have an underlying entitlement to Jobseekers Allowance.
    • From 1 May 2009, if you have previously participated in the BTWEA scheme and exhausted your entitlement, you can participate a second time after a period of at least 5 years has elapsed.
    • A new Back to Work Allowance Scheme called the Short-term Enterprise Allowance will start on 1 May 2009.
    Short-term Enterprise Allowance
    • There is no qualifying period. You can get immediate access to the allowance but you must meet the qualifying conditions.
    • To qualify you must have an entitlement to Jobseeker's Benefit and have either 104 contributions paid in the past 2 years (NOTE: when I spoke to the job facilitator, she said 104 contributions paid over the last 4 years and that 2 years was a typo on the website) or qualify for statutory redundancy.
    • The Short-term Enterprise Allowance will be paid to you for a maximum of 1 year. It will end when your entitlement to Jobseeker's Benefit ends (that is, at either 9 months or 12 months).
    More info here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/social-welfare-payments-and-work/back_to_work_enterprise_allowance

Not a lot of people know about this (including staff at Social Welfare!), and I even rang a radio station to correct an advisor who was giving wrong information to people just made redundant. It is hard for everyone at the moment but if the information is not duly related to people, it will not get better.

Anyway, I hope this helps... and good luck with your venture. Be prepared for HARD work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭greener&leaner

That is very very interesting.

I'm in a slightly odd situation in that because I was working in the UK I got put on the means tested benefit straight away, although I did have an entitlement to statutory redundancy.

I shall investigate further.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭WHU

Cheers for the responses, well except FusionNet's one! :) No seriously maybe my initial post was a bit vauge.

I know there is a social welfare section but there wasn't any response there so I thought I'd try here as it is business related as well.

I was really after some feedback from someone who'd been through the scheme itself, nobody I know had even heard of it.
    What, if any support do they give?
    There was a mention of courses and grants available, did anyone take them up on the offers?
    What else is available, help wise?
    Also you have to registered self employed with the Revenue before applying but the nice man at the revenue said he's not sure if that would affect your claim or not, anybody have any trouble with this?
    I currently get mortgage intrest help from the comunity welfare office, which may be affected as this is means tested, anyone else have any problems with this? or did I read you can earn so much a week before this happens?
    Cheers in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭liverpo

Hiya WHU, I'm currently applying for the back to work enterprise scheme, the guys are very good and very helpful, the main information they require is your business plan, that you will be self-employed paying class S contributions and the chances of you employing other people.
    Due to the current climate they are looking for reasons to let you join the scheme as opposed to reasons why you can't.

Best of luck, oh yeah contact your local enterprise board and setup a meeting. Again they are very good, you will need a business plan and reasons why you will succeed but these guys want you to succeed so give them a buzz.

• Advertisement

Thank you liverpo, your right about the enterprise boardI had a meeting with them this afternoon I found them very helpful and they even helped me with my business plan and recomended Start your own business training programe through the Enterprise Board.
    Best of luck with your venture too, this seems to be a very good scheme.

Cheers WHU, best of luck.
    Maybe if you and I get things up and running there might be way to help each other, I'm hoping to find out about my application in a few days, so I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alligator Wine

I rang my local social welfare office today (before I read this post) and was told they would take away all my benefits as soon I registered a business name. I asked if there was any scheme set up to help people like me who want to start up their own business but was told there was no such thing. I think it's disgraceful that staff are giving out false information.

I've been on the dole now for the past month, and had an idea for a web-based business. In order to get a .ie domain you have to register a business name. This involves handing over your PPs details, which I'm not willing to do if my befits are going to be affected. My main source of income would be from advertising on the site, so I'm sure I wouldn't be seeing any income from the site for at least a few months.

Because I've only been on the dole for a month does that mean I don't qualify for this back to work enterprise scheme?

Also I was going to go into business with a friend. I'm still technically self-employed right?

It all sounds really complicated, and to be honest we might end up just getting a .com address instead.

Anyway, I guess the best thing to do in the meantime is to fill in the form and try to arrange a meeting with the enterprise officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I rang my local social welfare office today (before I read this post) and was told they would take away all my benefits as soon I registered a business name. I asked if there was any scheme set up to help people like me who want to start up their own business but was told there was no such thing. I think it's disgraceful that staff are giving out false information.

I've been on the dole now for the past month, and had an idea for a web-based business. In order to get a .ie domain you have to register a business name. This involves handing over your PPs details, which I'm not willing to do if my befits are going to be affected. My main source of income would be from advertising on the site, so I'm sure I wouldn't be seeing any income from the site for at least a few months.

Because I've only been on the dole for a month does that mean I don't qualify for this back to work enterprise scheme?

Also I was going to go into business with a friend. I'm still technically self-employed right?

It all sounds really complicated, and to be honest we might end up just getting a .com address instead.

Anyway, I guess the best thing to do in the meantime is to fill in the form and try to arrange a meeting with the enterprise officer.

Im in the same boat as you. been on the rock n roll since jan. trying to set up very similar biz as yourself, tourism based, relying on add revenue etc. I should be hearing back from enterprise board this week regarding mentoring programme for setting up a biz. Il post again with any info i get from them and hopefully it can help you.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/BackToWork/EnterpriseAllowance/Pages/ea.aspx

Info and contact details here.
    I contacted them directly and they sent me the application and an iformation booklet (although it was out of date) they told me to fill out the application and take it to my local dole office, hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭yaynay

Folks,

I know this thread has been around for ages, but, hopefully someone can help.

My wife has wanted to start up a wedding dress business for the past couple of years. She has been unemployed since May 2009 and is getting restless at home all day.

We have done some brief research into suppliers, cost of starting up, etc. I know there is the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance scheme, but, is there any grant schemes for starting a new business?

yaynay wrote: »
    Folks,

I know this thread has been around for ages, but, hopefully someone can help.

My wife has wanted to start up a wedding dress business for the past couple of years. She has been unemployed since May 2009 and is getting restless at home all day.

We have done some brief research into suppliers, cost of starting up, etc. I know there is the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance scheme, but, is there any grant schemes for starting a new business?
    Hi yaynay yes the back to work scheme is brilliant, first year you get 100% of the Social Welfare, 2nd year you get 75% then your on your own.
    But the great thing, you don't have to sign on or anything like that and they also provide funding for equipment/flyers/laptop etc

To get Employment Grants I would recommend you contact your local Enterprise centre and provide them with a business plan and some forecasting over the next 12 months.
    Again the Enterprise board are very good, they will also help with funding if your wife is looking to setup a website or get an upgrade.

Good luck, also from her business point of view get her to checkout www.mumstown.ie there is a section dedicated to wedding dresses etc, she could put her details in there and let people know what shes offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Back to Work Enterprise Scheme applies to starting your own business too.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Hi,

I am currently on Jobseekers Benefit, I am interested in the BTWEA scheme and have looked up most of the info online and spoke to someone in the Dept of Social Protection. I have a couple of ideas i think may work and they are both connected, so I could start one and then develop the other one along the way. If I am within receipt of BTWEA can I still apply to CEB for a grant aswell? Also anyone dealt with First Step. I have funds to invest myself but obviously might aswell take any assistance, funding & grants available. My real question is have any of you gone through the process and through any other things like Enterprise Boards and other grants etc.. I think it would be a valuable resource for all of us if any tips, advice, help was posted.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.

Woody

Hi Woodgate

Yes, I've been through the process, I'm in my second year of the BTWEA, if you communicate with the officer working with you, you are also entitled to funding i.e. business cards, posters, laptop etc, I think you can get upto €1000 per year, with the second year @ 75%.

I'd recommend that you contact your local Enterprise Board and setup a meeting ASAP, they will advise you complete a business plan explaining how will you will grow over the next few years. You can avail of funding like Employment Grant, Capital Funding, website upgrades etc

These guys are here to help you, unfortunately you're the one who has to make contact, fill out forms, establish a business plan, they are very helpful once you've made contact.

Thanks Liverpo,

Really appreciate that advice, I'll do all of that.

My main reason for posting is just to get info so that I (or others) don't miss out on stuff that's available, it's great to get info from someone who's been there and done it.

Thanks again,

Woody

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭spindizzy

Hey,

I am on the start your own business scheme and so on the enterprise allowance. I heard along the way that a person on the allowance may be able to work for someone as a paye employee up to a limit and still claim the enterprise allowance. I understand the idea of this is for when the start of the business is slow.

Does anyone have any details on this or even if it is the case?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

You must contact the Department of Social Protection immediately if your self-employment ends or you take up employment. I believe you can work part time as an employee up to 3 days a week and the amount you receive from the STEA will be reduced pro rata.

Regards

Dbran

dbran wrote: »
    Hi

You must contact the Department of Social Protection immediately if your self-employment ends or you take up employment. I believe you can work part time as an employee up to 3 days a week and the amount you receive from the STEA will be reduced pro rata.

Regards

Dbran
    That's not really what he asked, what he is asking is, while still keeping the business going can he take a part-time job to supplement his income, which I think he can. He's not talking about giving up self-employment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 submachinegun

I am currently doing a Failte Ireland course so I'm just wondering if this would be accepted as a time spent training, I get a maintenance grant as opposed to Back to education as I was working before I started the course. I know when I finish this course that I will find it difficult to get full-time employment. I do have a business in mind that I would like to setup but it will be slow to start and would need some kind of funding - such as the dole.

However, the "CERT" that they have listed, is this the old name for Failte Ireland?:confused:

Periods of time spent in FÁS Training, Community Employment, the Community Services Programme, Job Initiative, CERT, Teagasc, FIT and Back to Education Schemes are accepted as periods of unemployment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭newuser30

I know this is an old enough thread but I have a query about the scheme. I have been on it for over year and finding it hard to survive on the allowance, as business is very slow especially after christmas. One of the posters says you can take up a part time job but I thought you would immediately be taken off the allowance as soon as you work for someone else? Or is it just ok if you work for someone and they don't employ you? Its all very confusing. I've been applying for part time jobs, if I were to take one up I 'd say I'd have to give up the enterprise allowance, not be paid much more than the allowance and have it eat into alot of my week. So in that case I'm better off packing it in all together and getting a fulltime job in something probably completely unrelated to my work :( Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I was told I could take a contract position, but not a full time PRSI-salaried one.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Dirac98

Hi
    Wondering has anyone else not received their BTWEA payment into the bank this morning or is it just me!??

Normally paid in every Saturday, only just gone onto years 2 and completed the form that is required to say I was still self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sheper

hi all,
    after 7 years continuous full time work i lost my job, because the place was closed. i was in job seeker benefit for 6/7 months(October 2010 to apri l 2011). then i passed the taxi test and start my own business. but i don't know about the back to work allowance and i didn't apply for it.Now after 2 years i found that i was eligible for short tram back to work allowance.
    my question is can i apply for it now? because its already 2 yrs gone. please help me with your best experience and suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

Anybody think its a tad unfair that you dont get any help if you decide to leave your job to start a business, but if you're on the dole you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Anybody think its a tad unfair that you dont get any help if you decide to leave your job to start a business, but if you're on the dole you do?

Yes. But you can sign on 8 weeks (or thereabouts) after you leave your job, then you can go into your local area partnership/enterprise board and sign up for the scheme.

It's a roundabout way of doing it but its possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Look at STEA, if you qualify for jobseekers, you can get this instead! http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_and_work/short_term_enterprise_allowance.html

Advertisement