Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Rewire

Options
  • 10-06-2009 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I have a few questions aout rewiring a house I would be grateful if somebody could give me a little advise.

1 If u rewire a house for someone do u need to provide a certificate.

2 Under what circumstances does the ESB require that the meter be moved outside.

3 Does a new earth rod have to be installed

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

1 If u rewire a house for someone do u need to provide a certificate.
    Yes. You can pay a fee to get the ECSSA or RECI to come in and cert it for you
    Under what circumstances does the ESB require that the meter be moved outside.
    If the meter is currently in the premises and a complete rewire is being carried out it the ESB would normally expect the meter to be moved outside. This is generally not that hard to do. The ESB will reroute thier cables.

Remember it is possible to buy surface meter cabinets
    Does a new earth rod have to be installed
    If the old one is OK, then no. BTW it should be connected to the MET with a 10mm sq. cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Thanks 2011.
    Just wondering about changing meter. U said ESB normally require it to be changed.
    Is it up to you or the ESB?
    Do u have to contact them first before u move meter
    Will they charge for this service
    What if I decide i dont want to move meter is that ok and can u still get a cert from Reci Or Eccsa.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

U said ESB normally require it to be changed.
    That is my feeling, yes.

What I would suggest is that you get the MPRN number from the meter and arrange a site visit from the ESB to be sure they are happy before you proceed. Make it clear to them that the job will be certed.

They are a friendly lot so dont worry.:)
    Is it up to you or the ESB?
    I am not sure TBH. I think you will find that you have to move it.
    IMHO it is a better idea to move the meter. That way the ESB can read it anytime without there being anyone at home. Also some people do not like letting meter readers into thier home.
    Will they charge for this service
    It was free, I am not sure how much if anything it is now.
    What if I decide i dont want to move meter is that ok and can u still get a cert from Reci Or Eccsa.
    You will have to ask them that!

Why do you not want to move it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

I dont particulary want to move it I just thought maybe u had to move it outside if u wanted to get it certified.

Thanks 2011 for good advice

Phone the ECSSA and talk to them (or RECI).

You will find that they are great for advice and some of the inspectors are retired from the ESB so they really know what is expected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

the best way imo john is to get reci/ecssa to cert it for you.they will enforce any neccessary remedial work and bring you up to speed .dont go sideways anyway with non-certification or other contractors certing the work

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You should not be forced to move the meter location unless its in a hazard location like under the stairs. Do your rewire, get the cert, and make an appointment for the esb to call, to put the new tails into the meter.

It would be better in the long run to have it outside, but its all personal. Ypu get your MPRN from the top right hand corner of the bill rather than from the meter itself.

Advertisement