Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession bites

Options
  • 10-06-2009 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Oh forgive the pun... !!

Which restaurants have dropped their prices or are doing an attractive early bird?

I know Chakra now do the early bird for 18.95...

Indian Spice now add in rice for free on the take away.

Insomnia do some cheap deal...

Let's support the local businesses that have started getting realistic.

In Dub at the moment a meal is far cheaper than here .. unless someone can tell me different!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Oh forgive the pun... !!

Which restaurants have dropped their prices or are doing an attractive early bird?

I know Chakra now do the early bird for 18.95...

Indian Spice now add in rice for free on the take away.

Insomnia do some cheap deal...

Let's support the local businesses that have started getting realistic.

In Dub at the moment a meal is far cheaper than here .. unless someone can tell me different!

I noticed Indian Spice also introduced some "smaller portion" options. It's not the same as lowering the price on an existing product, but it does mean you can order from them for less.

I noticed Little Caesar's pizaa offering buy one get one free the other day. Probably a short term promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭DTinthegrove

OK. The budget took 500 a month out of my pocket, the next one will take more, like the majority of Charlesland I am probably in negative equity and my job security is 50:50......

To be honest my eating out budget is dead in the water, it doesn't matter how "cheap" it becomes. I would love to support local business but I have to be realistic to survive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Cherry Blossom has always been relatively Cheap over the years ive found

Food is great and no added MSG!

And always get a Free bottle of Wine of them at Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

Boccelli's do a great four course Sunday lunch for €19.95

Nosh and Coffee in the Meridian have a regular tea or coffee and sandwich for a fiver - highly recommended :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I noticed Indian Spice also introduced some "smaller portion" options. It's not the same as lowering the price on an existing product, but it does mean you can order from them for less.

I noticed Little Caesar's pizaa offering buy one get one free the other day. Probably a short term promotion.

Yea our regular Friday curry sesh from Indian Spice is now down to 30 from about 37 euro. The rest i'm afraid i find ridiculously expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Insomnia are doing any size hot drink (take the large thankya) and any muffin for 3 yoyos. Not too shabby if your waiting for a DART.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 FVC

stay clear of the well known Italian beside the Dart station. Brought the family there for any early meal last Sunday evening

Ordered - 2 mains, 2 childrens mains, 3 soft drinks, 1 glass of wine, 1 bottle of water, 1 garlic bread, 2 deserts and 1 coffee

A whopping EUR 95 for a few pasta dishes, a few drinks, bit of bread and some ice cream !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

OK. The budget took 500 a month out of my pocket, the next one will take more, like the majority of Charlesland I am probably in negative equity and my job security is 50:50......

To be honest my eating out budget is dead in the water, it doesn't matter how "cheap" it becomes. I would love to support local business but I have to be realistic to survive.

That's one of the reasons I was asking.. eating out for me is a big treat but I am aware that some restaurants and cafes are reacting to the over pricing and I want to know who they are!! I for one cannot pay the 25+ for a plate of food without even taking into account wine or sides.

I saw Homans with a sign for takeout soup and a panini for a fiver... I went in asked how much a take out scone would be €2.40!!! Cavistons do a take out scone for €1.00 and they are yummy! I said no thanks and they looked at me like I was mad .. but the soup and panini offer is good value for Ireland.

I do think if we are eating out or having takeaways we should support the local business that is offering value. That's just my opinion.

Thanks for the ones that you have all posted so far .. it seems none of the restaurants have stepped up to the mark yet and are offering REAL value.

Is the Insomnia coffee good because that's a good deal?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Insomnia coffee is good enough, but some find it too strong.

Any coffee and a muffin for €3 gives a good indication of just how much customers were being ripped off in the good times, when you factor in that a large latte on it's own is €3.25. :mad:

Was in Bocelli's tonight and while the food was as good as ever, I did notice that there were less toppings than before on my pizza. Wasn't any cheaper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

We recently had Sunday lunch in Scent Garden, above the Burno.

I can't remember exactly how much it was, I think about 8 euro. It was a buffet style eat as much as you like setup. Very good.

Another option is The Hungry Monk Wine Bar, I think it is good value and the food is smashing. See http://www.thehungrymonk.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Scent Garden do a good 3-course meal for €15. Think its Monday - Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

Chakra do an early bird. And I'm going to be really useful now and say I can't for the life of me remember what it was! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Little Caesar's do good offers quite often,
    from monday to wednesday you can get a large pizza, bread sticks and dip and a drink (1.25l) for €9.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

wingding wrote: »
    Chakra do an early bird. And I'm going to be really useful now and say I can't for the life of me remember what it was! :p
    18.95 for 2 course
    22.00 for 3 course

Early Bird goes till half six I think.

Mullie wrote: »
    Scent Garden do a good 3-course meal for €15. Think its Monday - Friday.

I made the mistake of eating there last night. It was truly awful and so expensive. It also ruined our really lovely day we had out. It summed up why i dont eat out anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

That's a shame ciaran 67. I've never eaten there and don't know anyone that has. I won't be rushing there after your post!

Out of interest, was it busy?

That's a shame ciaran 67. I've never eaten there and don't know anyone that has. I won't be rushing there after your post!

Out of interest, was it busy?

It became busy when we were leaving but when we went in there was only one other couple. It took 30 odd mins for our starter of 5 japanese dumplings, which we were sharing, to come out. I've never had such rubber band quality squid or seen so many little pieces of garlic spread all over the food. It actually made me feel ill when i left. 73 euro for 1 starter, two mains and pad thai noodles. Ridiculous.

I'll stick to my regular fantastic Indian Spice delivery. They really are superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Love indian spice. They should open a small BYO restaurant. Now that would really shake things up with regard to true value. The scent garden look like they dont know what they are. Trying to do everything and doing nothing properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Bottchellis have a fine early bird menu and you cant beat thier Pizzas.

Hungry Monk bistro is another great option, was never expensive evn before the R, food is top notch AND they have started opening for lunch.

Its interesting to hear other peoples opinions and experiences :D

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

Pizzas 'n' Cream are doing 25% off all deliveries at the moment, which IMPO is the best pizza around (and I eat a lot of pizza!) Well worth the money and you don't really have to move from the sofa! Loadsa topping on the pizzas and delivery usually comes within 20 minutes during the week!

The Hungry Monk is closed for holidays until the 1st of July (next Wednesday) just in case anyone fancies popping in for a bite to eat.

As for Vino Pasta, I do love their food but find the place quite uncomfortably cramped and over priced. But they are very popular so doubt they're suffering as much as other businesses in Greystones.

• Advertisement

ciaran67 wrote: »
    I made the mistake of eating there last night. It was truly awful and so expensive. It also ruined our really lovely day we had out. It summed up why i dont eat out anymore.

That's a shame, I remember that place was fab when it opened. People were raving about it!

The Beach House have started to do proper food now I've just heard. The same fella who does the food in the Burnaby (yummy!), which should be nice if the Burnaby's food is anything to go by!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Moobui

Pizza n cream must have improved then, I ordered twice shortly after they opened and the pizzas were really disgusting-possibly the worst I have ever tasted! I vowed I would never order from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

+1
    I got a pizza when they opened, it was so bad I haven't had one since.
    However a friend of mine swears by their sit in food.

their sit in food.

messy!

Really?? I've only ever got really good pizzas from Pizzas 'n' Cream!

Little Caesars, however, now that's a different story altogether!! *vom!*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

i know this is an old thread but none the less still relevent....
    i havent been out to in greystones for a while so just wondering if there are any offers/early birds etc out there worth going for...

i did go for a takeaway pizza recently and saw apache were doing any size pizza's for a tenner which i though was good value (well compared to dominoes!)

Advertisement