Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do any actual shops stock kits anymore?

Options
  • 10-06-2009 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

Want to try home wine making but I'm not confident enough to start out mashing dandelions and things. I'd like to have a go the first time with a kit, just to get myself up and running.

But now it seems to be all online shops. I HATE buying stuff online. Remember when Easons used to do kits?

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a kit in an actual shop?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Try a shop that sells natural remedies, food supplements etc; I know that's where I used buy that stuff when I made my own beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

trio wrote: »
    But now it seems to be all online shops. I HATE buying stuff online.

But online shops will have much fresher stock that not been sitting on a shelf form months at a time and they have much better selection of kits and consumables

The Health Stores sometimes carry kits

I you get a change of heart about online shopping The Home brew Company are very good

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

As far as I know, Ireland's only bricks-and-mortar homebrew supplier is this one, but I wouldn't even be sure how reliable that is.

Practically, it's a question of which do you hate less: ordering online or not having your own homemade wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The country cellar in dun laoghaire might still do them, and there is a health store in stillorgan shopping centre that used to do them.
    oblivious wrote: »
    But online shops will have much fresher stock that not been sitting on a shelf form months
    That can be a problem, I think some stuff was near or past BB in country cellar before. With yeasts it might be a worry but I would have thought the canned stuff would not make much difference since it is essentially sterile and will last indefinitely in the can.

You could always buy fresher yeast online, the cost of postage on heavy tins is what really puts people off.

It would be better if these online stores had some arrangement where they could meet people, say the will be in some dublin market with a stall on such a date and everybody turn up, or be in a shop or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

rubadub wrote: »
    I would have thought the canned stuff would not make much difference since it is essentially sterile and will last indefinitely in the can.

Liquid malt extract is not really not that stable and oxidizes really easy. Coupled sitting on a shelf with fluctuating temps for months or years at a time is can have issues. People do use it successfully but its best gotten from a source with a regular turn over of cans

rubadub wrote: »
    It would be better if these online stores had some arrangement where they could meet people, say the will be in some dublin market with a stall on such a date and everybody turn up, or be in a shop or something.

Good Idea, the nearest was the Brew It Yourself 2009 event in cork with The Home brew company

[IMG][/img]DSCF0465.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 HomeBrewWest

Want to try home wine making but I'm not confident enough to start out mashing dandelions and things. I'd like to have a go the first time with a kit, just to get myself up and running.

But now it seems to be all online shops. I HATE buying stuff online. Remember when Easons used to do kits?

I bought from Easons years ago, don't know of any shops stocking kits these days though.

There are a few on-line shops in Ireland though including ours in Galway http://homebrewwest.com Our claim to fame is that we are much cheaper that the others, although it should also be said that we don't stock as wide a range as some of the others do. As far as I can see, we all charge a flat rate of 7 Euro for shipping by courier and we ship next day so that orders arrive within 2 days of receipt (I presume the others do too).

Hope this helps

Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Goibniu

There's a home brew shop in Athlone just opened. Don't know the address but I passed by it last Saturday. There was a Garda car outside and the Garda was perusing some documents inside. He musta thought it was a head shop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Homebrewwest, will you please stop spamming your site. Your sidekick keeva_ was banned from boards already for the same thing while slyly acting as a punter. You are very aggressive in pimping your site on many other forums already, give it a rest.

mayto wrote: »
    Homebrewwest, will you please stop spamming your site. Your sidekick keeva_ was banned from boards already for the same thing while slyly acting as a punter. You are very aggressive in pimping your site on many other forums already, give it a rest.
    Wow. We don't spam, which is why we always use "Homebrewwest" as our call sign in any boards we participate in, so that you know who we are.

Our call sign in every forum we participate in is "Homebrewwest" and we have only posted in this one, in "Irish craft brewer", and one or two other unrelated sites. We have links in many forums but do not participate directly.

Please let us know which the sites we are being "pimped on" so that we can react.

We can see from our IT people which sites customers are finding us on and we regularly do a search for http://homebrewwest.com so that we can see what people think about us.

Mostly, its http://www.irishcraftbrewer.com/Community/viewtopic.php?t=2596&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 where the feedback to us has been invaluable.

We would really appreciate it if you would tell us about any other boards that we are mentioned in.

Because we really should know about them!

mayto, can you please respond by listing web links to them.

Thanks a million

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

I came across this browsing politics forum http://www.politics.ie/chat/76465-homebrew.html and remembered name keeva_ from identical boards threads which are now deleted for spamming. TBH I was just telling you to take it easy on self promoting your own site as its not really tolerated on boards.

• Advertisement

mayto wrote: »
    I came across this browsing politics forum http://www.politics.ie/chat/76465-homebrew.html and remembered name keeva_ from identical boards threads which are now deleted for spamming. TBH I was just telling you to take it easy on self promoting your own site as its not really tolerated on boards.

mayto, thanks a million!

Keeva! My daughter who is going to run the store while I am on hols in July. I kinda knew about the www.politics.ie , she did say she screwed up on a political board and I nearly killed her.

We don't come up in organic Google searches yet, long story, meantime we are trying to get more links to our site to up our Google rankings. So Keeva tried to help out. She's a young person, ya know? Wont happen again!

On any boards we participate in, our call sign is "homebrewwest". Keeps it honest. Its common for sellers to pretend they are "customers", to either promote their goods or diss the competition. We kinda figure people are smart enough to see through that, so we aint going there.

Keeva is alive, just! You should have been here!

But what boards was she deleted from? Did I hear the whole story? Please let me know.

Brian

Advertisement