Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon D40...stupid question??

• 10-06-2009 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all, sorry if this is a ridiculous question! I got myself a Nikon D40 last week. Just wondering as this is my first SLR.... the images on the playback menu are quite crappy!! Well not crappy but contoured if that makes sense. Is this normal?? Just wanted to check! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Contured? Is it like pixelated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Not really sure what you mean. I wonder if the "crappy contours" are flashing? If so you're referring to the Highlights option, which may have been switched on, and causing you some confusion.

Try this: go to Playback menu, select Display Option and turn Highlight OFF.

This is actually a very useful feature, as it indicates if a picture has any over / under exposed sections.

If that's not it, leave it OFF anyway, come back and let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Plasticpants

No it's not the flashing highlight option, I have that switched off at the moment. It's not a huge deal it's just that I'm not getting a true sense of the pic on playback. It just seems that any contrasting areas of dark and light are very defined. For instance shading on a persons face. Sorry if this makes no sense!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭zdooldreb

Were the pictures taken under difficult lighting conditions?
    Did you try taking the pics off the camera and viewing on a PC?

As regards the highlight option. You can leave this turned on. Then when you view the photos in playback mode hit the up button on the selection wheel to change the viewing options e.g 1. is just the pic. 2. is with highlights turned on. 3. is histogram and I think there is a 4th as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Maybe you should try to reset the camera to default settings & work from there, in case you have fiddled with something.

There should be two buttons with Green Dots. Hold those down & it should reset the camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

hmnnn.... if you were able to take a picture of the back of the D40 on your mobile phone or other digital camera and upload a pic it would be useful to people for assisting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Well, the D40's display isn't that great really. Have you tried to 'zoom' into the picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Plasticpants

Cheers, I'll have a mess around and see what I can do. The pics on the PC are perfect, just the LCD display so not a big deal I suppose. Early days yet so I'll keep at it.... thanks for your replies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In my opinion the D40 doesn't have a great LCD display - in the sense that it's not the most accurate representation of the photo.

However, as you get used to the display and the subsequent photos, you'll learn to interpret the display.

Advertisement