Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warranty on a used car

• 10-06-2009 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I've used put a deposit down a used car which I am going to pick up at the weekend. The dealer mentioned to me that he would give me a 3 month warranty, which I didn't question. Talking to a guy in work today, he reckons that the dealer is obliged by law to give me a 6 month warranty and not just 3 months. I can't seem to find anything out on the web about this.
    Does anyone know if this is correct ?????

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

AFAIK its 3 months only. Make sure to get it in writing - verbal isn't worth the paper its not written on!

How old is the car as it may have some of the manufacturers warranty left on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭BIRDCAGE1

Its a 05 corolla verso, so it should be solid enough, I just want to make sure I get everything that I'm intitled to get with the purchase... if you know what I mean.

I'm not sure what AFAIK mean ...sorry??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

BIRDCAGE1 wrote: »
    Its a 05 corolla verso, so it should be solid enough, I just want to make sure I get everything that I'm intitled to get with the purchase... if you know what I mean.

I'm not sure what AFAIK mean ...sorry??

AFAIK = As Far As I Know

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

OP = Original Poster

OK? (= OK!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thecross1

4 a 05 toyota i wouldnt worry to much, depends on mileage but u should push the dealer 4 more warenty, 4 that type of car he should have no problem giving it.

good luck with it safe driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭You

BIRDCAGE1 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I've used put a deposit down a used car which I am going to pick up at the weekend. The dealer mentioned to me that he would give me a 3 month warranty, which I didn't question. Talking to a guy in work today, he reckons that the dealer is obliged by law to give me a 6 month warranty and not just 3 months. I can't seem to find anything out on the web about this.
    Does anyone know if this is correct ?????

Do you not trust 4D???

• Advertisement

by the way if u dont mind me asking im in the market 4 a 7 seater my self what did u end up paying 4 the car

Thanks sogood, I had most of the other ones along with btw=be the way and fyi= for your information, but I'd never heard of AFAIK.

thecross1 wrote: »
    by the way if u dont mind me asking im in the market 4 a 7 seater my self what did u end up paying 4 the car

The asking price was 11K, I traded in my wifes old 99reg corsa and he gave us 1,500 euro for that , which I thought was reasonable enough. the verso is a little bit more expensive then some of the other mpv's but they look a whole lot better and they're made by toyota.

You wrote: »
    Do you not trust 4D???

there's no harm in double checking BF

you did well not a bad price as i said push the dealer 4 more warenty and get a new set of mats as well and some gear 4 cleaning the car ur spending a lot of money so push him.

good luck anyway

• Advertisement

Cheers thecross, thanks for the advice....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Make sure you understand what is covered under the warranty. Is it the engine and gearbox only, does it include parts only and not labour costs or does it cover bumper to bumper?

Very important to understand this before you complete the purchase. No point in going back expecting something to be fixed when it is not covered under the terms of the warranty. Also get it in writing.

Advertisement