Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Physics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

This has some stuff:
    thephysicsteacher.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Heggy wrote: »
    This has some stuff:
    thephysicsteacher.ie

fair play to the teacher who made and compiled this site , he also has a youtube account with loads of videos explaining diffrent experiments and applications in the course.

its nice to see that some teachers acctually like helping people :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

awhir wrote: »
    fair play to the teacher who made and compiled this site , he also has a youtube account with loads of videos explaining diffrent experiments and applications in the course.

its nice to see that some teachers acctually like helping people :P

any chance of a link to the youtube ? anythings worth a try for me now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hmm in fairness Likely_lass, youtube is an inefficent way to learn experiments. There are 24, they are very well documented (on teachnet,ie among other places) learn them in text for, its just better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Can anyone tell me the answer, or how to solve question 9, the last 3 parts, of the 2002 department sample paper ?

I can't figure it out at all. Everything in that paper is so abstract.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hmm in fairness Likely_lass, youtube is an inefficent way to learn experiments. There are 24, they are very well documented (on teachnet,ie among other places) learn them in text for, its just better.

with all due respect errlloyd different people learn in different ways, i take information in a lot better when i listen to it or say it out loud, i think these videos would be a nice quick way to recap on the experiments

Ah like its entirely up to you. I am just saying in the exam room your not going to be asked to reproduce what you saw some lad do on a video, your going to be asked to reproduce what you read out out of a book. The video for each experiment (I imagine) will be around 10 minutes, in that time you could easily do a part A question, which would be more useful IMO.

If you look up the stats, lecture (listening) has a 10% memory rate, reading has 25% and the act of doing something has a 65%. Its up to you.

Errllyod, how can you know what way works best for her? Watching a video might be one hundred times more useful to her than reading some notes. Statistics don't really count for much.

Likely Lass, this might be of some use to you:

http://www.youtube.com/user/c4science

I find this site absolutely brilliant, too:

http://www.mathsphysics.com/Physics/applets.html

Click into each catagory and do the experiments, works brilliantly.

Hmm I said "youtube is inefficient to learn" <-- which it is true, backed up by stats, lots of them. I also don't advise the reading of notes.

I'm just saying, no youtube video is going to do the graph or the maths for you, and that's where all the marks are.

THANKS JAMMY ;)

eerlloyd i suppose its each to themselves how they study, ive read the material but i hate the subjects so much its difficult to make it stick & i do know how to study im banking on 3 A's & 2B1's this year and 99% certain ive got that, physics was a stupid choice for me i have a mental block on it and ill try anything to make the info stick

• Advertisement

THANKS JAMMY ;)

eerlloyd i suppose its each to themselves how they study, ive read the material but i hate the subjects so much its difficult to make it stick & i do know how to study im banking on 3 A's & 2B1's this year and 99% certain ive got that, physics was a stupid choice for me i have a mental block on it and ill try anything to make the info stick

Fair enough and I wish you the very best of luck, I know what you mean I did the same with DCG. I want to study law, the subject is completely differen't to any of my strengths. If I was to give you one piece of advice with those videos. If you do Sound, Mechanics and Electricity you're covered.

I'm just saying, no youtube video is going to do the graph or the maths for you, and that's where all the marks are.

Yes, you're right: no YouTube video is going to draw your graph or do your maths for you, but that's not the point. Watching a video of the experiment (or anything, for that matter) can build up your underlying knowledge of the workings of that experiment; it can provide you with an easily understood representation of the procedure which will, no doubt, help with more general questions on that experiment. Watching a video certainly isn't going to hurt, and, in my opinion, it will help your general comprehension of the experiment greatly.
    Hmm I said "youtube is inefficient to learn" <-- which it is true, backed up by stats, lots of them.

Inefficient to learn? That's a very vague statement. By what are you comparing its ability to teach with?

Plus, I'd love to see the "lots" of statistics which back up your assumption; statistics that specifically deal with a videos ability to teach a person something. And don't give me statistics comparing the retention rates of information when it's taken from different media. Likely Lass isn't relying solely on the YouTube videos, I bet.

. Watching a video certainly isn't going to hurt,

Unless you only have 2 days left, in which case you wanna study the most time efficient way possible.

But its not worth fighting over, video's are legendary, I would have used them 6 weeks ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

is it possible to go from 58% in the physics mock to 70% in the real thing?...i was just wondering because that's what i'm hoping for.

celtic723 wrote: »
    is it possible to go from 58% in the physics mock to 70% in the real thing?...i was just wondering because that's what i'm hoping for.

Yeah of course, and more mate. There is no reason to say you reached your potential in the mock.

Yeah of course, and more mate. There is no reason to say you reached your potential in the mock.

that's good to hear. cheers man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

For the mechanics q's and any others involving gravity, can you leave answers in terms of g?

Interesting question, I would say no. You're always supposed to leave the "correct units"

looking at the marking schemes there seems to be an awful lot of rounding up and rounding down. Can you at least bring it down throughout the answer using g? then sub in at the very end? im sure theres nothing wrong with that anyway.

Interesting question, I would say no. You're always supposed to leave the "correct units"

I meant in terms of g i.e in terms of gravity, not grams if that's what you're thinking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Its fine in applied maths because it is more about the method and subbing in 'g' almost always makes things messy, but in physics the answer is important so you'd have to sub it in. But leaving it to the end then subbing it in is perfectly acceptable if you are so inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Completely screwed for it. I know Nuclear Physics and The partical, sort of know my experiments, i do applied maths so that'ms my mechanics sorted and i still have to look over waves and sound :S

Somebody give me a question. Any question (on physics, from the exam papers!)

I will do it.

"Suggest what remedial actuion could be taken to reduce the level of radon gas in the school?"

"Incase the school in lead. Solid lead. All around the school, not just the walls. Everything should be surrounded by lead. Then, and only then, will we be safe from the incessant ravaging of the radon :("

I got full marks for this answer in a 5th year exam. It is right, isn't it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

"Suggest what remedial actuion could be taken to reduce the level of radon gas in the school?"

"Incase the school in lead. Solid lead. All around the school, not just the walls. Everything should be surrounded by lead. Then, and only then, will we be safe from the incessant ravaging of the radon frown.gif"

:D
    It definitely solves the radon problem. Hardly remedial though, considering the lead poisoning, and depending on the time hat the action was taken, many trapped suffocating students.

You have no choice but to try it in the exam :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Alexl

Jeebus wrote: »

"Incase the school in lead. Solid lead. All around the school, not just the walls. Everything should be surrounded by lead. Then, and only then, will we be safe from the incessant ravaging of the radon :("

I would say, insulate the floors well and have a radon vent installed would probably be the more acceptable answer:)! I prefer yours to be honest. Much more interesting!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

As my physics teacher said, in the mocks we were just operating at RMS value.

can someone show me how to do Q7 the maths parts 2002 Revised Sample Paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

awhir wrote: »
    that came up last year didnt it ? :confused:

Yeah it did but.......
    Jeebus wrote: »
    Electromagnetic induction did indeed come up last year. But, equally, it was answered horribly - students on average getting 38% in the question. So don't discount is coming up again.

There ya go.. :P When things are answered horribly, they tend to be repeated. The one in the DEB pre was a nice question, Q.8 I think. About the coil and the magnetic field. Liked that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Hmm, i'm not doing electricity at all.. It's a horrible, HORRBILE topic and deserves to be torn out of the curicculum and thrown off a very high cliff.

Advertisement