Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Trade only"

• 10-06-2009 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hi, can anyone please tell me what "trade only" refers to in a car for sale advert on carzone?
    I assume it means car trade/industry only? And if so, why would car dealers restrict a potential deal to their buddies in the car sales industry? Tks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Because there's something wrong with it and they don't want to have to honour any warranty or come-back if there are issues with it.

Or just want a super-quick sale with no requirement for customer service or aftersales follow-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Tks Chris.
    Was looking at a 2year old avensis for 10k & knew something had to be up with it. Prob has damge or something else (eventhough the advert does not mention anything to this effect) but I will ask car dealer exactly why it is Trade Only.
    As they say...if looks to good to be true, it is too good to be true!
    Tks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...yep, it's 'cos they don't want to warranty it............

also check it's not a UK flood damage car..........a lot of those around........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Also in most cases "trade only" cars are not sold to the general public ie sold on to other members of the trade who will get no warrant.

2 year old Avensis are retailing at about €13k to €14k presuming it's a 1.6 litre petrol so if this one is selling for €10k then you can be assured there is expensive work needing doing or something seriously not right with it.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Also in most cases "trade only" cars are not sold to the general public ie sold on to other members of the trade who will get no warrant.

2 year old Avensis are retailing at about €13k to €14k presuming it's a 1.6 litre petrol so if this one is selling for €10k then you can be assured there is expensive work needing doing or something seriously not right with it.

would a full history check with motorcheck.ie help reveal a fuller picture (this costs up to e50)? Tks

• Advertisement

rco2000 wrote: »
    would a full history check with motorcheck.ie help reveal a fuller picture (this costs up to e50)? Tks

There could be something major mechanically wrong with it that would not show up on a history report.

My feeling is if whatever is wrong with it could have been fixed for a reasonable price then it would have been put right by now and the car would be for sale at the full retail price and offered with a warranty.

I have just had a look on carzone and presume the one in Cork is the one you are looking at. Looking at the photos there appears to be body damage on the rear quarter where it meets the rear headlight.. This could indicate more serious damage that is not visible.

Bingo ... well spotted & tks a mil!
    :)

Advertisement