Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bionic Commando

Options
  • 10-06-2009 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

Id wish i'd seen the Zero Punctuation review before i'd bought this game.

Anyone else play it yet?

Imho.

Its ok, but the constant loading screens, repetitve combat and completely screwed physics engine take away from what should have been a good game.

Also the weapson systems bug me. "Lets drop weapons for you in an arkward place AFTER you needed them"

It also seemed a bit too short for a game.

Kinda feel like dragging out my old nes copy that i still have... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its flawed, but by god its FUN when you get into the swing of things (sorry), and there are some great set pieces. I'm about 65% through, and really enjoying it.

Weapons are your secondary form of offense - you are supposed to rely on your arm more, and use it creatively (although that can be hard when there are 4 mechs jumping around you).

My main complaints are:
    - That godawful loading screen (loses novelty and usefulness after, oooh, the 3rd time you see it)
    - The linearity of the levels (they look big and open, but stray too far off the main path and its insta-death)
    - the collectibles (you need to get them all in one game, and there is no backtracking if you miss one).

I think the fun factor outweighs them though. I hope Grin do a sequel, and learn from their mistakes.

If you're an xbox gamer, grab Bionic Commando Rearmed off the Marketplace for a reimagining of the NES version. I think its out for PSN and PCs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I'm at 96% apparently and i think ive only played the thing for about 4/5 hours in total. Seems a bit quick for me. But then i come from the old school "No autosave" NES background so maybe its me.

The being able to drown in an inch of water is a bit silly.
    The being flung into a nuke area without warning insta death sucks.

I do like bashing the crap out of bad guys into each other and to the games credit the grunts do start getting pretty harder later in the game. The sniper parts are pretty good too.

I definatly agree about the linearlity of the level. It looks like a sandbox but its a sandbox with parts of it that fry you almost instantly without warning.

The mechs can be a pain in the ass but ive found sneaking up on them while they can't see you and throw 3 of the grenade sticks usually does the job. They get knocked over after the first one and cant evade the other 2.

I tend to end up using the arm mainly for running like hell when you have 4 mechs around you.

It is fun but it just seems like there is nothing that would bring me back to play it again.

Alas Ive a ps3 so no rearmed for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

BC:R is out on the PS3 since last August.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/data/944601.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Oh cool. Must check it out so.....
    Cheers.

Advertisement