Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying - official report

Options
  • 10-06-2009 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Long story short, there's a woman in work who today made me feel angry, embarrassed and humiliated in front of my fellow workers. She accused 2 of us for making a simple error and started to call the shots of what we should do even though she has no power to do so. Not only that but she screamed profanities at the top of her voice while she was approaching us from about 15 feet away. I was absolutely disgusted when she shouted a torrid of swearing and then to shove sheets of paper against me and tell me to sort the problem out.

I'm ready to go into work in the morning and report her but the problem is that she's due to leave on Friday anyway. I'm sick and tired of her attitude and she finally crossed the line with me and I feel I should report her even though she's leaving the company on Friday. I know this could go nasty but I think it's time I stood up to her and her actions.

What do you reckon I should do, report or forget about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Ignore it. Given that she is leaving. This isnt bullying anyway, she just sounds very very annoying which is different. Dont say goodbye to her when she goes, she will get the message you dont like her.

This whole crying to HR thing is overrated. What do you expect them to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Why didn't you tell her to STFU the first time around?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Bullying requires more then one incident as I recall and you're wasting your time on top of it; she's going tomorrow and it will not lead to anything on her file (as she's gone and the case will be closed). If anything it would only reflect badly on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

it may not be bullying but its a start.

Forget it and move on give her the two fingers as she leaves or play a prank on her as her "leaving" prank etc shrink wrap her car ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Wouldn't it be great to have voice amd image recording at each desk at the touch of a button just for such cases?
    I was once the victim of a similar case and had no witnesses so could not make a complaint that would stick.
    I have noticed that in banks and other public places where video cameras are in place at all times this kind of nonsense (bullying in a loud voice)doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bandl wrote: »
    I know this could go nasty but I think it's time I stood up to her and her actions.

What do you reckon I should do, report or forget about it?

Imagine if you did report it, what could the company do that would resolve the issue? Send YOU to counselling to help you get over the traumatic experience (that'd look great on your unofficial record)? Tell you to grow up? Tell you that they will have the problem fixed within 48 hours.

Ireland is really a very small country. Chances are you will run into her again somewhere, so letting her know that the behaviour is not acceptable is a good idea. But best you do it by showing her that you're smarter/politer than she is.

If you were feeling really clever, you could go to her farewell morning tea/whatever, and do a very cuning speech that sounds fine but really tells it like it is. (Need some very clever writing to do that.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

It is a question of balance. If she is gone at the end of the week no report is necessary or any good if you run the risk of a bad "unofficial" report putting you down. This is very unlikely as most management goes by legal and official reports and her outburst and your reaction to it would be well forgotten about in 6 months time.
    If it were a case that you had to endure her presence and behaviour for a longer period I would put the boot in and report until I was blue in the face.
    Nothing is worth taking abuse and hassle over, especially public abuse. Doing nothing will make you look weak and easily targetted by other bullies in the workforce as a "soft touch". In the highly competitive and highly adversarial workforce of these recessionary times everyone and every sector is under attack and their existance is being questioned. Now is not the time to look weak.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

iF SHE IS LEAVING **** HER, BRUSH PAST HER AND PASS SOME SNIDE REMARKS

JOB DONE

Advertisement