Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm going to improve my 5 mile time

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of luck Sunday,i look forward to reading your report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Back down to Glenbower wood this morn, ran by heart rate today aiming to keep it in 150-155 range, a difficult thing to do with the rolling hills down there, ended up with 156 average, but a really nice run all same, love it down there.

Tomorrow's plan is 6*400m somwhere between my 5k/10k pace, then combo of rest/easy running till Sunday.

Wednesday's Summary(30/09/09):
    Total Distance: 5.01miles
    Time: 38:54
    Avg Pace: 7:46min/mile
    Avg HR: 156

Today, we've the 1st October, so have added September mileage to table below:

Year 2009|Jan|Feb|March|April|May|June|July|Aug|Sep|Oct|Nov|Dec|TOTAL
    Number of miles run|26|47|42|71|59|127|160|164|126|-|-|-|822
    Number of days run|4|6|8|12|9|18|22|22|19|-|-|-|120

Set out to do 6*400m intervals with 1:30 active recovery between repeats. interval pace was to be between 5k/10k pace 5:57/6:09 (mcmillan)

Summary of 400m time splits and HR in brackets:

Int Time (HR)
    1:30 (164)
    1:23 (169)
    1:26 (169)
    1:28 (170)
    1:28 (171)
    1:24 (171)
    Overall average: 1:27 (169)

Ok, so as you can see from splits, they weren't the most even+ didn't stick to keeping between 5k/10k pace limits. had av lap pace setup in garmin, but didn't bother checking it each time till about half way through.

Averarge of 1:27 overall is ~ 5:48min/mile!

But still, the sanity check is in my legs and they felt fine during and after, heart rate was also good.

This shorter type of interval doesn't suit me to be honest, I think for the distances I've been mostly racing, I'd be better to stick to at least 800m intervals. Still, it was a good workout, to put the legs thru a bit of turnover...

This was my last workout now before the 15mile race on Sunday, have got out for a run each of the last 5 days and still feel fresh enough.

Time to plan a race strategy now (over a few sneaky pints of Guinness, for the iron of course ;))

Thursday's Summary(01/10/09):
    Total Distance: 4.90miles
    Time: 36:39
    Avg Pace: 7:29min/mile
    Avg HR: 157

Ran Cork to Cobh 15mile race in 1:38:35 (av pace 6:35min/mile), happy out with time, as breaking 1:40 was main target. Passed thru 10mile mark in 66:04 and 13.1 mile at 1:26:25. Those splits are also two pb's for those distances.

Perfect conditions for racing, dry and hardly any wind.

Will post mile splits/avhr at some stage. At moment, just really happy with this race, "one of the better days" :D

Sunday's Summary(04/10/09):

Total Distance: 15.0 miles
    Time: 1:38:35
    Avg Pace: 6:35min/mile
    Avg HR: 171

Week 17 Mileage Summary:
    Mon: 5.35 miles
    Tues: 5.34 miles (tempo)
    Wed: 5.01miles
    Thurs: 4.9miles (6*400m intervals)
    Fri: 0miles (REST)
    Sat: 0miles (REST)
    Sun: 15.0 miles (race)

TOTAL: 35.60miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

well done. fantastic time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great run, do I read correctly no warm up, no warm down, just turn up and run and then go home :eek:?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Well done Tis, a great time. I didn't run today, but I was stewarding and, believe it or not, I had a good time.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Great run, do I read correctly no warm up, no warm down, just turn up and run and then go home :eek:?

kind of. the only warm-up I did was about a 0.5mile jog to start. went out slow enough for first half mile in race, before picking things up+getting into pace.

no warm-down, but legs were stretched a good bit as had to walk a fair climb upto the Scout hall in Cobh to get my gearbag+ also walked back up to Montenotte hotel from train station...next time i'll park at train station ;)

• Advertisement

tisnotover wrote: »
    no warm-down, but legs were stretched a good bit as had to walk a fair climb upto the Scout hall in Cobh to get my gearbag+ also walked back up to Montenotte hotel from train station...next time i'll park at train station ;)

I think they should have the finish at the Scout Hall car park next year.:P

Mile splits and av-hr from today's race:

Mile 1 : 6:48 (148)
    Mile 2 : 6:37 (164)
    Mile 3 : 6:39 (166)
    Mile 4 : 6:38 (168)
    Mile 5 : 6:34 (170)
    Mile 6 : 6:39 (173)
    Mile 7 : 6:35 (174)
    Mile 8 : 6:37 (174)
    Mile 9 : 6:27 (175)
    Mile 10: 6:32 (175)
    Mile 11: 6:40 (174)
    Mile 12: 6:27 (175)
    Mile 13: 6:31 (175)
    Mile 14: 6:41 (178)
    Mile 15: 6:24 (177)

Didn't do much of a warm-up for this race apart from jog to start, and used most of first mile to grow into race, heart rate split was very low.

First few miles felt really comfortable, the weather was perfect+heart rate was behaving itself, while also finding myself at 6:40min/mile pace, which was my target for a 1:40:00 race.

Found it very difficult to find a group of runners to stick with today, was ok for first 5 miles, running with a couple of others with a big group of about 8 just ahead of us. from there, runners started to drop off that group+made my mind up to kinda pick them off, and join whoever was left.

Small bottles of water were given out along course, and I carried one for its duration, taking sips out of it as I needed, which wasn't many as there was no real heat.

Passed a few friends of mine at about 8mile mark, which gave me a boost+pace picked up accordingly, decided to go with it+see how I was at 10mile mark, unfortunately was running in no-mans land at this stage, the field was very strung out!

Through ten miles in 66:04, and was feeling fine, but for some reason I dropped off pace for 11th mile. Then it came to me as the garmin 205 I had was losing its signal on/off now+ the distance covered was way off compared to the actual mile marks. (By the way, those mile splits above are those manually recorded by me).

This left me a bit uneasy, but was trying to guage my pace off those around/just ahead of me, shows how reliant ya get on a watch sometimes!

So last five miles of race were trying to figure out how I was at each mile split. There are a good couple of climbs into Cobh as well, nothing as major as the gain in elevation for cork half though!

Coming to 13th mile, I heard someone at the side of the road say "well done, ure the 2nd lady", at same point I glanced to my right, and I saw a girl passing me.... This was perfect I thought+decided to keep with her strong pace as long as I could to finish.

The last mile into cobh is mostly downhill, which led to a fast finish, made up a couple of places here.

Still can't believe how well todays race went though, the weather was certainly in my favour.No stitches today, which I think is down to taking on less water.

Ran in the hyperspeed 3 shoes again for this race+felt really good, no foot-pains afterwards or now, though I feel it will take a while for my legs to recover from todays race.

Def back next year, don't think the weather could be as good again though, and glad I could take advantage of it...

colblimp wrote: »
    I think they should have the finish at the Scout Hall car park next year.:P

Its a bit like Patricks hill in Cork where Armstrong and Cavendish refused to go up this year in Tour of Ireland..think most runners would do same ;)

tisnotover wrote: »
    Its a bit like Patricks hill in Cork where Armstrong and Cavendish refused to go up this year in Tour of Ireland..think most runners would do same ;)

When I'm not injured, there's nothing I love more than doing hill reps up Patricks Hill and the hill from the station road up to St. Lukes. :eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Great running,i bought those hyperspeed before the summer and wore them for 2 races.
    Not a fan,i could feel every step and knees were tender afterwards,so they are not for me.

found a photo of me finishing yesterday's race.

thats me wearing # 615, managed to pass the girl in last 100m and a couple of others.

felt pretty tired all day at work, legs def sore-ish and if like my half marathon recovery, will be another few days yet before I'm back running.
    I need the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Great run, especially being so soon after the half marathon.

This week is a recovery week from race on Sunday and its also serving as a break from training.
    I've decided to close this log. I will start a new one soon, with new targets (tbd), there are no 5mile races on horizon and I've gotten to a level where my times are good from 5k to 15miles.

When I started this log, I compared my 5mile time to recent races i'd run, and also what mcmillan predicted as equivalent race times.
    Below i've applied same treatment with my 5mile PB from Ballycotton as the reference:

Race Distance|Current Race PB Time|McMillan Calculator Estimated Race Time|
    5 km|18:25|18:33|
    4 mile|25:42|24:16|
    5 mile|30:45|30:45|
    10 km|41:16|38:33|
    10 mile|1:08:56|1:04:35|
    13.1mile|1:27:13|1:25:46|
    15mile|1:38:25|1:38:55|

Notes:
    The 5k and 15mile times are similar to those estimated off my 5mile time. On Sunday, I went through 10miles in 66:04 and 13.1 in 1:26:25. So it looks like i've reached a good level again and would be confident that with right training could meet projected 4mile/10k/10mile and 13.1mile times.

I've come on a good way since I started this log and learnt a lot about training, training paces, etc. For example in intervals I go out too fast for first part of interval, as opposed to a more even pace.

Also, I still haven't gotten to grips with longer tempo runs (4-6miles).
    Tempo training will be my main focus in my next log!!

If ure interested, I've attached a pdf summarising my training since June.

Finally, thanks for all the support since June, am really glad I started this log as its a great motivation tool and the support on this running forum+training advice is priceless.

tisnotover :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi TNO,

Yor log has been a great source of inspiration - well done on the great improvements and good luck with the next phase. I'll be looking forward to your new log.

aero2k

Advertisement