Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disproportional Representation

Options
  • 10-06-2009 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭

My wife's cousin ran as an Independent in the local elections and thankfully got in but not until Sunday, so for the first time I was listening to the election all day Saturday on the wonderful Shannonside FM (acutally it wasn't too bad). Anyway I couldn't help noticing the vast differences in quota's that needed to be achieved. So reading the indo I checked out all the results.
    Look at Granard Town Council:
    Elecorate 909
    Turnout 591
    Spoiled Votes 12
    Valid poll 579
    Quota 58
    Anyway fair fecks to Anne Farrelly FF who with a whopping 24 1st preference votes managed to be the 9th person elected. I mean WTF has she no family mind you she did better than 'Billy no mates' Jack Mulvey of SF who polled a whopping 3 1st preferences. I mean wtf. Similar massive quotas in Belturbet 85, Kilkee 76 and Ballybay 86. I know that town councillors are different to county councillors but I would love to know how much they get paid and do they have as much power as a councillor in say Mullingar with a quota of 526.
    Can anyone shed a light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The quotas are calculated based on how many people turned up to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

obl wrote: »

That's the Longford County Council vote for the Granard area, the town council vote is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

jhegarty wrote: »
    The quotas are calculated based on how many people turned up to vote.

I understand that but I was wondering if the 9 town councillors in the town of say Granard (electorate 909) get the same wages, expenses as say the 9 town councillors in Mullingar (electorate 9791) and if so why do they need 9?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 curlynettie

Yes I noticed that too!

It depends on whether the town council was an old "town commission" or an old "urban district council (UDC)".

They all changed their names to "town councils" but their powers are much the same as were, i.e. a town council that was a town commission doesnt have much power (mainly civic receptions etc) but a town council that was a UDC has the full set of powers in the 8 programme groups - housing, roads, water, planning, environment, recreation, etc and most importantly they can collect rates!

I don't think the councillors are paid the same (representative payments) but their travel and subsistence would be the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement