Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling problem addressed by local Councillor

• 10-06-2009 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A good news story for you: about a month ago, cycling to work along the Eastern end of the Dodder Linear Park in Rathfarnham (here http://tinyurl.com/ktypov ) I rode over a broken bottle on the path & gashed my tyre & tube. There was broken glass all over the path, it was overgrown, and there was an open drain running across it. Fixed the tube, got to work, complained to Sth Dublin Co Council asking them to clean up the broken glass and while they are at it, cut the overgrown weeds & shrubbery off the path, and fix the open drain. These problems had all been there for over a year with no attempt to fix them. I sent photos an' all. Got a nice 'we're dealing with it' reply from the complaints people. Then nothing. No action. After 2 weeks chased them. Same response. Then wrote to a few local Rathfarnham councillors, thought the election might help gee them up.

Within a couple of hours, Cllr. Cait Keane had replied & had taken up my issue. A few days later, last Friday they'd made a start at cleaning up some of the glass, & had buried (badly) the drain. I sent her an over last weekend, with photos of what was fixed & what not. Again, got a reply from her very quickly (NB the election was over so I put aside what remained of my cynicism) with commitments from the Council to get more of the outstanding issues fixed.

So in summary, though the Council did nothing for me directly, one local councillor took great pains to pick up my issue and get action. Now, I don't even live in her constituency and I'm not aligned in any way with her party. On behalf of all the runners, cyclists & walkers in that section of the park, thanks very much Cait, I've glad to see you re-elected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

A good story indeed. I've often seen that you can actually get things done if you complain to people (indeed sometimes it is even enough to just contact the relevant people - unlike your experience with the co.co.) but unfortunately more people don't do this (indeed you are seen by some as a whinger, radical and nutjob if you do).

Of course all this kind of thing should be done on a proactive basis rather than reactive, i.e. you shouldn't have to complain. Often there isn't even a skeleton attempt at things, e.g. an annual check of such things.

Advertisement