Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not understanding humiliation's subtleties and not fearing ones dignity, good or bad?

Options
  • 10-06-2009 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

The concept of dignity means a lot to people right? I'm not big on social senstivity sometimes or understanding humiliation or loss of dignity at work.

I guess I've always thought don't take the concept of dignity too seriously, don't fear your own dignity, and you have a rich source of power/calm there.
    But on the other hand if you don't safeguard your own dignity and are not scared by attacks on it, then you are not scared to make attacks on others dignity it seems. I guess some people percieve it as being unhinged emotionally.

So, are my perceptions wrong, is it morally unhealthy not to fear or be desensitized to attacks on dignity or is it just wise or toughened cynicism?
    Could it cause someone to lose the conept of dignity and become unhinged in themselves and towards others? Do we take dignity too seriously as a concept? Am I missing the meaning of it and it's importance?

I hope you can help enlighten me?

Edit- I mean to say, I could see obvious acts of evil and humiliation on a person, eg medieval stonings and draw a line, but I can't pick up more subtle stuff. Is it right to not be too sensitive to it? Or is it a grave insult to yourself and others?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement