Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

complete beginners veggies cooking?!

Options
  • 11-06-2009 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭

hi guys,
    i cant cook, never could, im an absolute diseaster in the kitchen, last time i tried to make quorn burger i smashed plates and had food ALL over the floor!
    it should have been a simple thing to do! :(

anyways you get the idea. so for the first time in my life i find myself alone and having to feed myself! sad, i know!

iv been living on beans, noodles and cartons of soup!

does anyone know of an absolute complete beginners course in cooking vegetarian food or even a book? but it would have to be so so simple, i never did home ec is school, i know nothing about cooking at all :(

help! i might starve! lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

maameeo wrote: »
    hi guys,
    i cant cook, never could, im an absolute diseaster in the kitchen, last time i tried to make quorn burger i smashed plates and had food ALL over the floor!
    it should have been a simple thing to do! :(

anyways you get the idea. so for the first time in my life i find myself alone and having to feed myself! sad, i know!

iv been living on beans, noodles and cartons of soup!

does anyone know of an absolute complete beginners course in cooking vegetarian food or even a book? but it would have to be so so simple, i never did home ec is school, i know nothing about cooking at all :(

help! i might starve! lol

"The Classic 1000 Vegetarian Recipes" has a lot of nice, easy recipes - some particularly easy ones are butterbean goulash (p. 120) and lentils with spaghetti, tomatoes and herbs (p. 144). (add some baby spinach into the lentil one at the end and it tastes really lovely! also I tend to use about 2/3 green lentils and 1/3 red lentils instead of all green lentils, I think it makes it taste better.) Anyway both of these recipes are very difficult to mess up, so you should be fine, and sure there are loads more similar ones on the internet!

You might be able to find some easy recipes on the internet - try googling "easy vegetarian recipes" or something like that.

Get yourself a smoothie maker so you can have the odd smoothie for lunch, again very difficult to mess up! Also try making salads for lunch instead of cooking something (I'm not talking about boring old lettuce/cucumbery things, try potato salads or bean salads and stuff like that. I think there might be some in that book but I'm not entirely sure...

Anyway, good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

:) thanks so much, i'll check that book out!
    wish you hadnt said its difficult to mess that up, lol, itll just be more embarrassing when i do! :)

I'm actually looking forward to 'trying' to cook something! yay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

If you go to the cookery section in any big bookshop they should have some books on student cooking. There are a few published on veggie student cooking which are nice and easy. Great for beginners! Good luck :)

cosmic wrote: »
    If you go to the cookery section in any big bookshop they should have some books on student cooking. There are a few published on veggie student cooking which are nice and easy. Great for beginners! Good luck :)

Actually about the student cookbooks - a lot of "normal" (i.e. non-veggie) ones actually have a huge amount of vegetarian recipes in them anyway - pasta sauces, risottos, that kind of thing - because they're quite easy.

Also, look out for stir-fry recipes - if there's meat in them you could use tofu instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

The 'Smart Cooking' books which are published for use by students in Home Economics classes are fantastic for beginners; you'll even find many of the recipes include tips for modifications, which may make it easier for you to use meat substitutes etc. The recipes are extremely simple and straight-forward with step by step instructions, good pictures to use as a guide and little diagrams to guide you through the hard bits!
    The Hamlyn cookery books include slightly more complicated recipes but again use colour photography and great, simple instructions; I'm pretty sure they have at least one book dedicated to vegetarian cookery.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement

student cook books is a good idea! ill try that too! id love to do the jamie oliver thing, iv seen it a few times, they make it look so easy!

school books is good too, must root out my sisters ones! lol

my mam has made dinner for me past two days! lol im pathetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭emollett

-lala- wrote: »
    "The Classic 1000 Vegetarian Recipes" has a lot of nice, easy recipes - some particularly easy ones are butterbean goulash (p. 120)

I realised i had this cookbook yesterday and made this, it was lovely! Thanks for the recommendation.

emollett wrote: »
    I realised i had this cookbook yesterday and made this, it was lovely! Thanks for the recommendation.

No problem :)

It's also nice if you use kidney beans instead of butter beans - although it makes it completely different, but it's still very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

Hi OP, check out this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetarian-Student-Cookbook-Hamlyn-Cookery/dp/0600612414

it's really simple, it starts at the complete basics and covers lots of different types of foods and snacks, seems like it would suit you well. I've seen it in several bookshops, and if you can't find it you could buy it online or order it in. Also, try your local library, they usually have lots of veggie books, you could try them out without having to buy them first!

Remember practice makes perfect!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

+1 on the vegetarian student cookbook.
    I love that book so much, unlike most veggie cookbooks, the recipes don't require a million obscure ingredients, and end up being horrible anyway!
    All my favourite meals are from that book, and they're all really easy to make(and I have trouble cooking pasta)
    Good luck, and may I particularily reccommend the triple chocolate muffins!

• Advertisement

roweeeeena wrote: »
    Hi OP, check out this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetarian-Student-Cookbook-Hamlyn-Cookery/dp/0600612414

it's really simple, it starts at the complete basics and covers lots of different types of foods and snacks, seems like it would suit you well. I've seen it in several bookshops, and if you can't find it you could buy it online or order it in. Also, try your local library, they usually have lots of veggie books, you could try them out without having to buy them first!

Remember practice makes perfect!!! :)

oooh! this looks perfect!!!! just ordered it! lol
    yeay cant wait to get it!
    thank u!!!

@phic lol, id love to see me try make triple choc muffins!!! :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I like the cornucopai cookbook, it's a story and a cookbook!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Yeah, but not ideal for cookery beginners.

Yeah, but not ideal for cookery beginners.

yea, iv seen it, lovely book, love the design but id be lost!!!

I love the story part of it, less so the cookbook! I just feels all the recipes require too many ingredients I can't get, and are too complicated! If I wasn't living at home, and was a better cook, maybe! i'll keep it til then anyway!

phic wrote: »
    I love the story part of it, less so the cookbook! I just feels all the recipes require too many ingredients I can't get, and are too complicated! If I wasn't living at home, and was a better cook, maybe! i'll keep it til then anyway!

I love the story part AND the cookbook part. Actually I just love everything about Cornucopia. Especially those berry crumbly dessert bar thingies they have.

-lala- wrote: »
    I love the story part AND the cookbook part. Actually I just love everything about Cornucopia. Especially those berry crumbly dessert bar thingies they have.
    Haha they are delicious...if only someone would come to my house and make them for me!

Haha they are delicious...if only someone would come to my house and make them for me!

I'm going to Cornucopia this evening and I'm going to have one... jealous? :p

got my student veggie cookbook in post today!!!
    now to pick something, theres so much!!! then go shopping for food!
    scary stuff! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

haha, enjoy!! :)

• Advertisement

roweeeeena wrote: »
    haha, enjoy!! :)

well we'll see if i can actually do it, i dont have the cooking 'skills' so fingers crossed i dont burn myself too bad! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 apricotnelli

There are some great cookery blogs with very simple vegetarian recipes. Try www.homeorganics.wordpress.com, or Riverford Organic in the UK www.riverford.co.uk/ or Abel and Cole http://www.abelandcole.co.uk/recipes or vegbox-recipes.co.uk

A quick tip tho invest in a cookery book holder much easier to glance back and forth if the book is upright and open and less chance of making a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VEGETARIAN-Nosh-Students-Cookbook-Approved/dp/0954317947/ref=pd_sim_b_2
    Vegetarian Nosh 4 Students is also brilliant. It's about the only cookbook I use because it's simple, doesn't need fancy ingredients and most of the stuff is for one portion. Awful title, great book if you're going to get another.

Oh and I'm going to have a Cornucopia berry bar thingey tomorrow!

There are some great cookery blogs with very simple vegetarian recipes. Try www.homeorganics.wordpress.com, or Riverford Organic in the UK www.riverford.co.uk/ or Abel and Cole http://www.abelandcole.co.uk/recipes or vegbox-recipes.co.uk

A quick tip tho invest in a cookery book holder much easier to glance back and forth if the book is upright and open and less chance of making a mess

oh i love that abel and cole site, its so pretty and easy to look around, ill have to have a good look in there! thank u! :)

Aoifums wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/VEGETARIAN-Nosh-Students-Cookbook-Approved/dp/0954317947/ref=pd_sim_b_2
    Vegetarian Nosh 4 Students is also brilliant. It's about the only cookbook I use because it's simple, doesn't need fancy ingredients and most of the stuff is for one portion. Awful title, great book if you're going to get another.

Oh and I'm going to have a Cornucopia berry bar thingey tomorrow!

heh, love the title! lol thanks!
    got the veggie student cook book but to be honest i havnt done anything from it yet! :(
    find it hard to get motivated!
    i did cook on sunday, i must post a pic and let yall know how i got on! :)

maameeo wrote: »
    heh, love the title! lol thanks!
    got the veggie student cook book but to be honest i havnt done anything from it yet! :(
    find it hard to get motivated!
    i did cook on sunday, i must post a pic and let yall know how i got on! :)

once you taste the how delicious food from that cookbook is, you'll be motivated! i particularily reccommend the cashew stir fry, amazing! and really easy too, you dont have to use the exact veg they say, just get one of those presliced stir fry veg packets from the supermarket! makes life so much easier!

once you taste the how delicious food from that cookbook is, you'll be motivated! i particularily reccommend the cashew stir fry, amazing! and really easy too, you dont have to use the exact veg they say, just get one of those presliced stir fry veg packets from the supermarket! makes life so much easier!

ooh i absolutely love cashew nuts!!
    stir fry veg packs! hmm, that sounds good!!! must get them to try out!

thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

The books I started off with were the Moosewood and Molly Katzen ones, nicely laid out, easy to follow and very tasty. I'd also recommend Deborah Madisons Vegetarian Suppers book which is also easy to follow and more importantly filled with recipes that can be knocked up in a half an hour (or so). Best of luck with your culinary adventures - remember vegetarian food is real art - any plonker can fry a steak!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PurplePossum

I love the idea of being inspired by a veggie cookbook to try making something new. But get so fed up that 2/3 of the book is devoted to soups, salads, and desserts, sure there are a billion identical recipies in all the normal cook books, and hardly think salads require a recipe. so then you're left with 10 main recipies, like pasta and veg, veg stirfry, veg/bean chilli, veg-type bake in oven....would love ideas for different stuff to make. without massively obscure ingredients!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement