Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2D in derry

Options
  • 11-06-2009 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

Were any of you at it? Just wondering as I only got in late on the 2nd day of it, and missed it. I'd heard that a few guys from dublin had landed up, and as I don't know any of your faces, was wondering if any of you had gone to it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

I was there, selling the "Celtic Knights" Comic & doing sketches. It was great fun - busiest convention I've been at from that side of the table. What I really liked about it was they mixed up all the pros and us "normal" people. I was doing sketches of Judge Dredd and Batman while Matt Brooker (D'Israeli) - the artist on both - was sitting beside me doing the same!
    Great fun though, I'd recommend it for anyone either as an exhibitor or a fan. The only complaint I had was I was too busy to have a proper look around at everyone else's stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I'm just disappointed that they stuck everyone in the back room there. The club side was much larger and had better seating - also a lot easier to make it to the bar.

I'm also disappointed that I was late getting there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Patrick Brown

I was there too - sat between Will Simpson and Mike Collins, and all three of us sketching so much we barely got a chance to speak to each other until we got to Sandinos. Drawing children as monsters was particularly good fun - kind of "stunt drawing". A lot of pros say they work out a small number of standard "convention sketches" they can draw over and over without thinking, but this kind of theme portrait thing keeps you on your toes. I enjoy improvising, and I'm pretty quick, and my drawings seemed to go down pretty well with most of their subjects. Unfortunately, like Ger says, it kept me pretty busy, and I didn't get much time to see what everyone else was doing.

I had some of my comics to sell, but so many of the punters were children, and my stuff's a bit old for them. I'm going to try and do one for younger readers in time for next year, and I'm issuing a call for other artists to do the same. Think of it. 2D 2010 - comics aren't just for adults anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I had some of my comics to sell, but so many of the punters were children, and my stuff's a bit old for them. I'm going to try and do one for younger readers in time for next year, and I'm issuing a call for other artists to do the same. Think of it. 2D 2010 - comics aren't just for adults anymore!

you can get some practise in by submitting to the 24 hour comics day anthology and taking part in the event in October - as we are working with Childrens Book Ireland we're very young reader focused this year :D ...... cheap plug I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 FUGGER

I was there pretending I knew a thing or two about these comic yokes. It was very good and cheers to all involved in setting it up.

Incidentally, ...one of the nights I could've sworn I saw Bryan Talbot flying around Derry city walls on the back of a broom.

• Advertisement
Advertisement