Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

this here xbox thingy

Options
  • 11-06-2009 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

well everyone just lookin for some info on the xbox

firstly is it worth my girlfriend gettin it?? i have the wii and ps2 and i dont want a ps3 so does the xbox offer new gaming experiences??

is there a good choice os games?(sorry i dont EVER look in the xbox section ha)

and this red xbox looks great anyone know of where i(she)(haha) can get 1? i know its a special edition and all but if anyone can give information on the red one it would be great!

thanks everyone!!
    :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The red one is the Elite model. It's about €300 with Resident Evil 5 and an extra Joypad in most shops. Probably a little more than you would need staring off.
    The game library is huge and there is a lot of downloadable games and even through I prefer the ones on the Playstation Network, there is some great ones on Live.

There is an Xbox Live Arcade model for about €180, I think, might be worth looking into. It has no hard drive, I don't know muchy about it, maybe someone else can help out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭carefulnow99

thanks for all that

so you know da one advertised for lik €169(i think) is that the one your talkin bout?
    oh and would i need to buy one with the harddrive??

may sound stupid now but what exactly is the hard drive needed for??
    can i download full games directly to the console?
    and how does x box live work?
    i understand possible stupid questions but if u can heelp even more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Think i seen the "red" xbox in smyths on jervis street the other day. Its the resident evil one. Yeah you can download old games via xbox live i.e. online and you can put music on your harddrive and download demo's and trailers for new games. You really should get one with the hard drive. The hard drives are normally 20gigs but you can also get them in 60 and 120 gigs.

Hope this is some help :D

anyone got a price list for the whole range??
    from the lower ones without hardrives up 2 the red residents evil special edition one??
    only prices i can find are in dollars.

and how big a hard drive would ye reckomend??

and how much are the games to download?

so over all buyin an x box is a good decision????

this shows u i really know nothinkg of the xbox ha:D

To buy the games on xbox live you have to buy microsoft points. You can get them from any game or gamestop kind of store. The games range from about 400 microsoft points to 1200 points and for 2100 points it costs about 26 euro. You can download tons of old games like sonic and street fighter etc and some original xbox games.

The 20g hard drive is enough,you might have to delete some demos the odd time but i have a 20g one and i think its more than enough.

Wouldn't have any prices off the top off my head but maybe check argos or HMV could be pretty cheap. Even Tesco could be cheap but i wouldnt know whats the cheapest.Even look on adverts.ie,you might find something there :D

Chris

• Advertisement

cheers for that man real big help with everythin

No problem.

Hope the wee lady enjoys it...... if you dont decide to keep it that is! :p

haha no man ur mistaken!!

she is buyin it for me!

im blessed haha she asked me to find out which one i wanted and i told here there expensive and she said well as long as not oner 400 she dont mind ha

she bought me da wii der last year lol:D:D

what can i say

she knows me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

dos she tlk 2 u on d fone a lot lol?

Man please dont use text speak. You have a full keyboard there to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Whatever you do, don't get one without a hard drive. There's a massive selection of games to pick from, and you should be able to pick up the older ones for peanuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

can you install a hard drive retrospectively once you've bought one without?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah you can but microsoft charge silly money for the drives.

Jumpy wrote: »
    dos she tlk 2 u on d fone a lot lol?

Man please dont use text speak. You have a full keyboard there to use.

well I or anyone else who writes a thread asking for information on the xbox wants info on?? yeah u guessed it the xbox.
    it has nothing to do with you how i text or write.
    if u came on to this thread for no reason only to say stuff like that dont bother your not giving any info on the question i asked so go reply to a thread your actually going to give some proper,wanted information on.

I biught myself an XBox Arcade console in Smyths about a year and a half ago. It cost me about €200 or thereabouts and it came with an extra joypad, some smyths vouchers and a game that I cant remember for the life of me (there was a choice of three games. I think i ended up with Soul Calibur, but I don't really know).

If you get an arcade console, you get a memory card with it, and you can buy a hard drive at a later stage if you want one. I got a hard drive for €30 posted off ebay, but they were going for a little more than that most of the time. If you're going to use it a lot and want the full capabilities of it, get a hard drive. I've a 20GB one, and im yet to fill it (though I only really play GTA IV so...)

XBox live is there to play games online, but you need to pay for it. There's a website that sells 13months worth for €30, but shops like Xtra-Vision etc. will want about €60 per 12 months (when your time runs out, that is the 12 or 13 months, you will no longer be able to play games online against others, and will have to buy another 12 months. You can buy 1 month, 3 month or 12 month subscriptions, i believe, though Im not entirely sure).

From what i understand, you can buy XBox live subscriptions direct from the console itself using a credit card, but apparently when your subscription ends, Mcrosoft charge you for another one from your credit card without informing you, so it's best avoided.

Games you can download are old original XBox games and old 'arcade' games (i think you can get some new games on it too, but they'd take up a lot of hard drive space).

Most new games that come out will have a demo available online that's free (though, as it's a demo, you can only play about one level of it). 99% of the arcade games will also have demos in my experience. Old games like Sonic, Smash TV, etc. take up very little space, but once you realise you can download demos of games for free, you may end up downloading a load of crap just for the sake of it (until the novelty wears off) so a hard drive is handy for that, too.

Overall, I'd say an XBox 360 is a great purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

well I or anyone else who writes a thread asking for information on the xbox wants info on?? yeah u guessed it the xbox.
    if u came on to this thread for no reason only to say stuff like that dont bother your not giving any info on the question i asked so go reply to a thread your actually going to give some proper,wanted information on.

Its an issue of respect for the people you asking advice from to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Rumours are circulating that a new model 360 will ship alongside the Natal launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Not to derail but how common is the red rind of death fault in xbox's? Going by the amount of grief via the web people claim to be having over this it seems like a bad console to me?

Can someone set me wise to this as am thinking of getting either the 360 or ps3 and the rrd issue aint helping MS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Venom wrote: »
    Not to derail but how common is the red rind of death fault in xbox's? Going by the amount of grief via the web people claim to be having over this it seems like a bad console to me?

Can someone set me wise to this as am thinking of getting either the 360 or ps3 and the rrd issue aint helping MS :)
    both consoles are flawed but dont say anything about either because i can feel the flames burning lol!

i have both consoles and tbh i prefer my 360 for the exclusives and the comfort of the controller in my hands.

re rrod i have never had a problem with it but i have had problems with my ps3 with the blue ray breaking!

overall both are worth a buy but if you want my advice dont rush into buying either look into both and dont listen to fanboys telling you buy my console cos its so cool etc lol LOSERS! also blue ray failure isnt that common with ps3 but still exists while rrod is nowhere as bad with newer consoles as it was when the console launched upuntil maybe a year ago!

2 more points for ya 1. psn is free you have to pay for xboxlive

2. xbox comes with a 3 year warantee ps3 is a one year and while ps3 has a smaller failure rate it costs a fortune to fix problems out of warantee so beware both consoles as i have already said:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

both consoles are flawed but dont say anything about either because i can feel the flames burning lol!

i have both consoles and tbh i prefer my 360 for the exclusives and the comfort of the controller in my hands.

re rrod i have never had a problem with it but i have had problems with my ps3 with the blue ray breaking!

overall both are worth a buy but if you want my advice dont rush into buying either look into both and dont listen to fanboys telling you buy my console cos its so cool etc lol LOSERS! also blue ray failure isnt that common with ps3 but still exists while rrod is nowhere as bad with newer consoles as it was when the console launched upuntil maybe a year ago!

2 more points for ya 1. psn is free you have to pay for xboxlive

2. xbox comes with a 3 year warantee ps3 is a one year and while ps3 has a smaller failure rate it costs a fortune to fix problems out of warantee so beware both consoles as i have already said:cool:

Cheers mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Venom wrote: »

According to wikipedia (...) The ratio is as high as 1 in 3. I can't recall if that includes non-warranty failures, like the Disc Scratching, or Read Errors, etc.

But I don't know anyone who hasn't had some problem with their 360 at one point or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

So, lets get this straight. You want everyone to decode your pre-teen speak, then still be bothered to reply to you.
    Take a quick look at every other poster in this thread. Notice the full words used? They are doing you a favour by writing whole correct sentences which are easy to understand.
    Its a personal gripe, which I can guarantee is shared by the majority here (albeit at a lesser level), I just hate this crap polluting forums I regularly read.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Overheal wrote: »
    According to wikipedia (...) The ratio is as high as 1 in 3. I can't recall if that includes non-warranty failures, like the Disc Scratching, or Read Errors, etc.

But I don't know anyone who hasn't had some problem with their 360 at one point or another.

I'd say thats from the launch not recent models.
    I have had it since may 2006 no problem, and 2 friends who have it over a year and no problems.

I can say the same for PS3 though and it has a great bluray player but I con't remember the last time I played game on it

Advertisement