Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC G1 on 3

• 11-06-2009 12:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Gettin a G1 in the next couple of weeks and currently on 3
    Just wondering if anyone has this setup at the moment and wondering if youve come across any issues or anything I should be aware of?

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I have the HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1) on 3, works pretty well. Make sure you buy a data add-on though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Setup wise, it's limited to one Gmail account at a time and you have to reset the phone if you want to change it to a different one. This account is the one connected with the Gmail application. You can use the normal Mail application to add a second account though.

Applications can only be installed on the internal memory, not the SD card.

There used to be a problem with the initial activation process only working over the phone network and not wifi, but that might have been fixed.

I've heard the battery life is pretty bad too.

Where did you get the G1? I was looking at getting one myself, though I might just wait for the Samsung i7500.

Yesterday morning at 9am I took the phone of the charger.

I have Google Talk open in the background all the time. Surf the odd web page, checked email the odd time and sent some sms, by 12:30Am that night, the battery was at 53%. battery is fine for me.

Yesterday morning at 9am I took the phone of the charger.

I have Google Talk open in the background all the time. Surf the odd web page, checked email the odd time and sent some sms, by 12:30Am that night, the battery was at 53%. battery is fine for me.

I think they may have improved this through software updates. I remember initially, a lot of people were complaining about it. Although those people tended to leave Wifi and bluetooth on when they weren't using them and had the brightness up to max.:rolleyes:

mobius42 wrote: »
    I think they may have improved this through software updates. I remember initially, a lot of people were complaining about it. Although those people tended to leave Wifi and bluetooth on when they weren't using them and had the brightness up to max.:rolleyes:

Yup I have Cupcake (Android 1.5) on the handset now. I have brightness turned way down and have a widget to toggle wifi so I only use wifi when im at home. In my opinion wifi is easier on the battery than 3g.

• Advertisement

Yup I have Cupcake (Android 1.5) on the handset now. I have brightness turned way down and have a widget to toggle wifi so I only use wifi when im at home. In my opinion wifi is easier on the battery than 3g.

I've noticed this on my iPhone too. I think it's because the Wifi radio shuts off when the phone is in sleep mode, while 3G is on all the time. I wish I had a Wifi widget though!

mobius42 wrote: »
    I've noticed this on my iPhone too. I think it's because the Wifi radio shuts off when the phone is in sleep mode, while 3G is on all the time. I wish I had a Wifi widget though!

Wifi stays on on the G1 in sleep mode. Otherwise that would be a pain as the Google Applications need internet access. There is some pretty cool widgets comming out for the G1 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

I have the HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1) on 3, works pretty well. Make sure you buy a data add-on though!

does the email only work on push/imap or can it just be used to download emails on request? is it all "constantly streaming" so to speak?

i.e. is it possible to limit the google application use so you can select to use it only when in wifi? basically to avoid high data usage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I've noticed that too. I suppose it's because the wifi transmitter is only transmitting about 10 metres and the 3G one is trasmitting a few KM

I have noticed the 3G connection on 3 can hang a bit, sometimes you have to close and re-open some apps for them to connect to the internet again. This doesn't happen on wifi.

Like for example, around 4pm-8pm, Google chat may show you as connected but you stop seeing peoples status change or getting chat messages, close and re-open chat and you get messages that might have been sent to you like 30 mins before. This doesn't happen when using wifi. Also I know someone with this handset on T-Mobile USA and it doesn't happen on the T-Mobile 3G network. I think its just 3's 3G network.

• Advertisement

C-Shore wrote: »
    does the email only work on push/imap or can it just be used to download emails on request? is it all "constantly streaming" so to speak?

i.e. is it possible to limit the google application use so you can select to use it only when in wifi? basically to avoid high data usage?

You can set up imap email for email accounts other than Gmail and im nearly sure it can be set up to be pushed to the handset also, I dont use it as I just use gmail. My gmails automatically come into the phone. Gmail email uses a different application than external email accounts.

You can set up imap email for email accounts other than Gmail and im nearly sure it can be set up to be pushed to the handset also, I dont use it as I just use gmail. My gmails automatically come into the phone. Gmail email uses a different application than external email accounts.

yeah thats what im afraid of.. i dont want them being sent down to the phone automatically, i have the java gmail app on my phone at the moment and that suits fine because its not heavy on data..

im buying the magic today so im worried that if its on a constant connection it will eat up my data and money :(

C-Shore wrote: »
    yeah thats what im afraid of.. i dont want them being sent down to the phone automatically, i have the java gmail app on my phone at the moment and that suits fine because its not heavy on data..

im buying the magic today so im worried that if its on a constant connection it will eat up my data and money :(

There is an option on the phone to turn of "Background data" so apps like chat that run as services wont use internet when you have them running in the background.

Also I have gmail/contacts/calendar synchronization disabled to save battery. This stops my gmails automatically comming in. So I just open the gmail tool and hit refresh to pull in new emails.

saweeet

buying my magic today so :)
    hope i dont regret losing the keyboard

Also if your gonna use it on 3, you will need to turn on "Data Roaming" if you want to use the internet in 2G/GPRS coverage as the phone sees you as roaming when under GSM coverage (Vodafone piggybacking). Just remember to turn this off when going abroad ;-)

cheers..

i'll let u know how i get on with it anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cheers guys :-)
    Im gettin it off a guy I know in the UK and ive got a bigger capacity battery ordered for it too. Also already have my data add-on & roaming
    Was just wondering if anyone had come across any issues with MMS,SMS or anything like that

Advertisement