Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does asking great philosophical questions make you a great philosopher?

Options
  • 11-06-2009 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Or is it providing solutions that makes you a great philosopher?

What are IYO the greatest philosophical questions asked?

For me, what is thought, and do machines think would be some of the greatest, look what they led to.... and that makes Alan Turing a great philosopher.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

Affable wrote: »
    Or is it providing solutions that makes you a great philosopher?

What are IYO the greatest philosophical questions asked?

For me, what is thought, and do machines think would be some of the greatest, look what they led to.... and that makes Alan Turing a great philosopher.

What do you mean by "great"?

What do you mean by "philosopher"?

To what, exactly, are you referring when you say "Alan Turing"?

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

I think literal mindedness applies again. The jist is there, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

Affable wrote: »
    I think literal mindedness applies again. The jist is there, right?

Yeah I was trying to establish my identity as a great philosopher or not through the pursuit of action - asking questions :)

Serious answer: I think you cant be any kind of a philosopher at all without asking questions, and I would probably say that asking the right questions is more important then answering the wrong ones.

Philosophy (or whatever the Greek original was) meant "lover of wisdom" in Greek, so it really does depend on what you define the word as. Under the definition as a lover of wisdom, any time you read a non-fiction book or do anything which requires learning about the world you are practising philosophy. Children are born as philosophers.

I dont really think the word "philosopher" really means anything, we are all philosophers to some extent, and professional philosophers are only so because they sell their time to a university or some other institution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement