Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphone wire - Get it shortened?

Options
  • 11-06-2009 2:09am

Hey all.

Really not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it seems to be the most suitable.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get wire shortened on headphones?

I have a pair of headphones that I got almost a year ago. Used to wear them out and about the whole time, but got fed up of carrying what seems like 25 miles of wire around with me, so just thought I'd ask if it is possible to get it shortened, and if anyone knows of anywhere that would do something like this (I live in Drogheda, and tried a few stores, but they all just said they'd be able to get the wire extended, but not shortened).

The headphones are Sennheiser HD515's:

large003102.jpg

Thanks to anyone able to help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Would something like one of these suit :

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=cable%20winders&page=1

You could cut the cable and put on a plug , but new plug probably wouldn't be mouded on to the cable so it'd probably break not too long after

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Have to agree with Bushy on that. I have the HD 595's which I imagine are similar. The wire is slightly thicker than regular headphone wire but about a third the diameter of a jack lead so you'd be hard pressed to find a well fitting aftermarket part.

A bit of cable mamagement might be easier and in the long run might help if you ever do need to strectch the cable a little bit.

It can be done and peats/maplin or any electrical retailer with spare parts should be able to give you a replacement jack plug. You should probably considder if it's worth the bother though.

Ah, it seems to be a lot more hassle than I'd have originally thought. I think I'll just suffer with them.

I'm planning on getting a backpack soon so I can carry my laptop aound with me, so I may try and just store all the cable in there and see if it's comfortable that way.

Thanks for the replies, though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

Could you not cut the wire and then rejoin it. Would that not work?

I've thought of that Myself, but I don't want to ruin them, and the last time i tried something like that.. well... :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

I have tried on many occasions to join headphone cable, and its as tricky as s*ite, and the results were never worth it, so even if you do get the parts, and find someone handle with a soldering iron, the results wouldn't look greate, and you'll probably degrade the signal in the cable.

Maybe just find some way of "looping" up the excess cable, at least you'll still have it if you ever need it

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Shortening Sennheiser cable is a no go.The cable only has an insulation between the two cores made from a waxy/gluey substance.,It just dosen't work.Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

KKV, send me a PM if you like. I work for Peats and we quite often ordered in relacement Sennheiser cables for customers. I can enquire and see if there is a shorter version of the cable used in your 515s if that would be of any benefit to you.

I used to have a set of HD212 Pro's and I gave up using them the cable was so ridiculously long. Using a set of HD280s now which thankfully have a curled cable.

KKV, send me a PM if you like. I work for Peats and we quite often ordered in relacement Sennheiser cables for customers. I can enquire and see if there is a shorter version of the cable used in your 515s if that would be of any benefit to you.

I used to have a set of HD212 Pro's and I gave up using them the cable was so ridiculously long. Using a set of HD280s now which thankfully have a curled cable.

Well you can't disconnect the cable from these (like you can on some other Sennheiser headphones).

I'm not gonna do anything with them just yet. I'm gonna wait 'til i get the laptop backpack and see if i can use that to my advantage to make life a little easier.

Thanks so much for everyone's input here. :)

Advertisement