Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't know where to start.

Options
  • 11-06-2009 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi,

long winded but!

I gave birth to baby boy 25th December 1975. He was put into goldenbridge from mother and baby home on navan road until adoption was organised. (pressure from family, nuns) . i went away and came back six weeks later to take him back, sister on phone told me he had died of cot death with foster parents(no other information given). Until recently havent had the emotional strength to investigate my suspicions that he may have been illlegally adopted. I recently got a copy of his original Birthcert, there is no death cert in that name.

Does anybody have any idea where i should start looking, i contacted spg and they sent me a letter saying they would set up an appiontment in the future, all very vague, plus my trust in institutions is very low.
    Has anyone been through a similar process, or has anyone gone through a private investigator, would it be any better.

thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi susiewon,
    your story is tragic but unfortunately not that uncommon.
    i have heard of other people who found out their babies had,nt died but where given up for adoption illegally.
    if i was you i would be knocking on every door making someone listen to me, get on to the media find someone to take your case on board.
    i was at the abuse victims march yesterday in dublin and a woman spoke with the same story as you, media interest is now very high and religious orders are not getting away with their crimes anymore. good luck kathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 peter_gallaher

Suzie,

I dont know how the laws work in Ireland, but here in Australia birth mothers have rights in relation to obtaining information regarding their children. Given that they claim your child has died then there are no privacy law provisions to protect information regarding his identity and location of repose. At least that is the law in Australia.

I suggest you start with the local legal services and seek advice regarding your rights of discovery regarding his place of repose. I would also recommend you determine whether Ireland is a signatory to the UN treaty regarding the rights of the child. If so then you can pursue your claim for information under that international law which takes precedent over any local law. I would also enquiry regarding rights under any European Union laws that might apply.

Good luck.

Advertisement