Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 Games EVER (C64, CPC & Spectrum)

Options
  • 11-06-2009 3:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

You know 'em, you grew up with them, you saved up your £3.99 every week to buy them, but can you remember them???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Manic Miner FTW followed closely by Sabotuer 2, Jetpac, Rampage and Horace goes Skiing ! (Spectrum)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Oooh. I approve of this thread. :D
    Dunno where you're going with yer £3.99 though, full pricers went for £12.50 in Virgin on Aston Quay, thats where all my christmas, confo and birthday money went! :D

Based on the Amstrad CPC, and in no particular order...

1. Wonder Boy
    2. Renegade
    3. Fantasy World Dizzy
    4. Bruce Lee
    5. Way Of The Exploding Fist

Loved every single one of them, purely for personal reasons, others would feel that there were games better than the above for the CPC though.

2. Renegade

Renegade rocks especially when you knocked the guys off the building. It was the start of the beat em up games like Double Dragon, Final Fight etc, must see if I can find it somewhere.
    full pricers went for £12.50 in Virgin on Aston Quay

Yeah some of them came in those stupidly big boxes, I remember reading that was done as a marketing scam to make you think you were buying more for your money, extra weight and all that. A lot of mine fell onto blank tapes though when friends would accidently record them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Had an oul' spectrum 128k back in the day.
    1- R-Type
    2- Wonderboy
    3- IK+ (I think that's what it was called, it was a karate game with 3 players
    4- Most of the Dizzy games
    5-Gauntlet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭trout

48 K Spectrum ...
    1. Manic Miner
    2. Highway Encounter
    3. Elite
    4. Starquake
    5. Fairlight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

1. - All the Dizzy Series (Can't really pick one!)
    2. - Creatures
    3. - Wizball
    4. - International Karate + (The Street fighter of it's time)
    5. - Halls of the Things

I was the only one in my family into Halls of the Things, I still get ribbed about that game today. The graphics were fairly dismal but man it had some great gameplay! This guy http://retrospec.sgn.net/game/halls put together a downloadable version a while back, worth checking out!
    And if I was pushed on picking one Dizzy, I'd go for the first one (You always go for the original!)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

Mmmm.tough but here my top 5 C64 (in no order)
    1. Microprose Soccer - Some people went for the more realistic Emlyn Hughes but this was always my favourite

2. Lords Of Midnight - Cracking adventure game.Fond memories of playing this in the wee hours of the night

3. Turrican - Top notch shooter,felt like you really had an arcade in your bedroom

4. Crack Down - Might'nt look like much but play with a mate and you'll have a smashing little co-op game

5. Ghost 'n Goblins - This game has everything,looks lovely,great music and you would play it over and over.....all in one load too

• Registered Users Posts: 34,814 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I would only have been about five or six when we had a Spectrum back in the 80's. So my memory is a bit hazy. But the ones I remember playing myself were -

Target Renegade - Is this a sequal to Renegade? Same side scrolling beatemup gameplay.

Punchy - Just weird. Loved it though.

Barbarian - Videogame violence FTW!

We also had Batman with a really cool Batman joystick. Looking back now, he's not exactly the most ergonomic shape to be playing for extended periods :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

1. Laser Squad
    2. Chaos: Battle of the Wizards (still play remakes of this today, my favourite being Chaos Reborn)
    3.Dizzy Games
    4.The Great Escape
    5.Robocop

o1s1n wrote: »
    Target Renegade - Is this a sequal to Renegade? Same side scrolling beatemup gameplay.

It is, and it isn't at the same time.
    Renegade appeared in the arcades, however Target Renegade and Renegade 3 were sequels produced by the software converters for home machines. They never hit the arcades.

In the case of Renegade 3, that's probably good thing. It was terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I had a C64 and hated it :/ I only really loved the conversion of Bubble Bobble which was far better than it deserved to be, mayhem in monsterland and Turrican 1 and 2 despite them being for me slightly poorer metroid and contra sunstitutes. I was always envious of the NES, megadrive and SNES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

C64 here, can't remeber much about the Sinclair Spectrum, anyway -

1. Flimbo's Quest
    2. Fiendish Freddy's Big Top O' Fun
    3. Sadly I only remeber those 2 games :/ there was some game that was like 1942 but I don't remeber it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Commodore 64

Arnie
    Operation Wolf
    Midnight Resistance
    Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles
    The Last Ninja

Anyone remember Invade-A-Load, only some games had it, it was space invaders that you could play while the main game was loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'm always surprised that so many people look back fondly on the Dizzy games.

I always loved them... but back in the day lots of people in school would slag me off for liking them.

Bastards with their overpriced Ocean movie tie-games!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

atariman wrote: »
    4. - International Karate + (The Street fighter of it's time)

Great game and the graphics were great for its time, I think Steven Seagal (or someone who looked like him) was on the cover

Anyone remember Invade-A-Load, only some games had it, it was space invaders that you could play while the main game was loading.

Yes, yes I do. It should have been on every game especially the long loading ones.

I remember the space invaders game coming up while some games were loading.
    Anyone remember getting a Syntax Error while trying to load a game??!! AAARRGGHH:D
    Or how you could touch two certain parts of the chip at the back with a hairclip to bring you back to the main screen, where you could put in cheat codes that were given with some magazine (Can't remember it's name, the cheats were in a section called Pig in a Poke)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

1. Last ninja 2
    2. Delta
    3. Platoon
    4. IK+
    5. Barbarian

All c64 games.

Honorable mentions to Jetpac, everyones a wally,Jack the nipper and Jet set Willy on the speccie....

I remember Jet Set Will had a colour coded security thing in the cassette inlay to avoid piracy, when the game loaded you were prompted for colours from a certain grid position.... magenta, green, purple etc.

Ah the memories.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

This thread has jogged some memories:

1. Turricans (1&2)
    2. Dizzy series
    3. Paperboy
    4. Winter/summer games
    5. Terminator II on cartridge.

Lol actually remember Fiendish Freddy's Big Top O' Fun that was a crazy game, diving into a t-cup etc. Wizball Microprose soccer creatures were pretty cool too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My top 5 Spectrum games are as follows,

in no particular order,

Quazatron, excellent sequel to the C64 game Paradroid, except this had nifty isometric graphics.

Uridium, the speccy edition of the C64 classic, and they said it couldn't be done!

Lotus Turbo Esprit, from Durell, I loved this game.

TLL, another fab game, played lots of it, never got any good but didn't stop me trying!

Academy, very nice sequel to Tau Ceti and a great game, nice user configurable screen display too.

If I can nomimate a couple more please,
    Starstrike 3D, a clone of Star Wars but even better than the real thing.
    3D Tank Duel, a clone of Battlezone, again better than the arcade.
    Trashman, played more of this than was ever healthy, great stuff.
    Monty on the Run, classic platformer.
    Chase HQ, the definitive home conversion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭trout

Uridium is a fantastic game - top 10 material.

Much as I loved Quazatron back in the day ... it's aged really badly :(

How could I forget Monty!

*runs off to Spectrum in the attic*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭W!zard

C-64c

1. - Creatures

2. - Treasure Island Dizzy

3. - Turrican II

4. - Mayhem In Monsterland

5. - Flimbo's Quest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i nearly bought a Sam Coupé but went for an Amiga
    but i can now see what i missed as someone has made an emulator
    http://www.simcoupe.org/

TLL - Tornado Low Level, i remember that one :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I used to love the compilations that came out, some were full of rubbish but some were quite good.
    I remember being all noble and actually shelling out for Softaid on the Spectrum, it had some good games and the Band Aid single included, happy days and a warm fuzzy feeling too!

Most of those charity games flopped. Codemasters did one for Race Against Time as well and it was not only a really bad game, but it's sales were pretty megre too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

back in the day lots of people in school would slag me off for liking them.

It had nothing to do with the games.

48K+ Spectrum ...

1) Target Renegade
    2) Barbarian
    3) Hyper Sports
    4) Subterranean Striker
    5) Konami Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭TygerKrash

1. Turrican II
    2. IK +
    3. Wonderboy ( played that to death!) -
    as an aside I seem to remember you could keep playing it through and all that would change is the last boss would have a slightly different head?

4. Last Ninja ( I missed last ninja 2, hence it not appearing)
    5. Midnight Resistance.

(all c64 games)

Honourable mention: Mr. Heli. Class platformer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMw6WqrO364

Great array of weapons and ammo, enemies etc.

Actually, feck it, here's my next top five:

1. - Mr. Heli
    2. - Rainbow Islands
    3. - Pac-Land
    4. - Myth
    5. - Spy vs. Spy series

Yea I see what happened, I'm seem to be a bit of a huar for the platformer types...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Spectrum:

Laser Squad. The finest game ever. Turn-based strategy. Shame some of the expansion levels were broken.

Rebelstar (1 and 2) Forerunners to Lasersquad.

International Matchday. Close run thing between this and Matchday 2, but it wins it by being a bit quicker.

International Cricket. Only given away with Your Sinclair Magazine and absolutely brilliant.

Head Over Heels. For its brilliant little puzzles.

Honourable mentions: Lords of Midnight, Elite, The Sentinel, Football Manager (most realistic goal graphics ever?)

• Advertisement

TygerKrash wrote: »
    3. Wonderboy ( played that to death!) -
    as an aside I seem to remember you could keep playing it through and all that would change is the last boss would have a slightly different head?

The levels themselves increased in difficulty too, and from stage 2 or 3 onwards, spotted eggs would appear with a demon that sucked your energy dry until you got down to the last three or four bars.

The last boss increased in difficulty and had seven alternate heads which had to be knocked off before you got to the final one.
    4. Last Ninja ( I missed last ninja 2, hence it not appearing)
    (all c64 games)

And doesn't it show, because i don't think the original Last Ninja ever appeared on any other format, but the second one eventually did.

Last Ninja 2 was awesome. :D

Advertisement