Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The life of Brian on stage!

Options
  • 11-06-2009 5:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, i had a small drama group( The PFJ)a few years back in north cork, however i closed it up when i decided to do some traveling. I'm starting it up again the autumn. What I'm planing on doing for the first show is taking highlights from the movie "The life of Brian" and dramatising them on stage. I do have a few questions that you good people might be able to help me with.

1; How do i stand here rights wise?

2; What do you think of the idea of taking a cult movie and breaking it down for the stage?

3; Is there anyone from the cork/Kerry area here who would be interested in auditioning for a part?(not professional btw)

4; Any other advice?
    Kind regards
    Busted flush.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I think this forum may be able to assist you better:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=232

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Moved to Theatre and Performing Arts.

OP, I recommend you contact the Drama League of Ireland (www.dli.ie) who can point you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

Hey guys, i had a small drama group( The PFJ)a few years back in north cork, however i closed it up when i decided to do some traveling. I'm starting it up again the autumn. What I'm planing on doing for the first show is taking highlights from the movie "The life of Brian" and dramatising them on stage. I do have a few questions that you good people might be able to help me with.

1; How do i stand here rights wise?
    None needed if your not doing the whole thing.

2; What do you think of the idea of taking a cult movie and breaking it down for the stage?
    Not a bad idea to be fair.

3; Is there anyone from the cork/Kerry area here who would be interested in auditioning for a part?(not professional btw)
    Not for me ty.

4; Any other advice?
    best o luck
    Kind regards

Busted flush.

gl to u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭lebron james

This sounds like a heap of fun i would be interested when are you casting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Thanks for all the replys and pms, il be in touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Sitout, I'm fairly certain that you are wrong in assuming that there is no copyright issue involved!

I'm guessing that you think that as only parts are being performed that the "fair use" exclusion from copyright can be invoked but from

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p09_fair_use

What is fair use?
    In copyright law, there is a concept of fair use, also known as; free use, fair dealing, or fair practice.

Fair use sets out certain actions that may be carried out, but would not normally be regarded as an infringement of the work.

The idea behind this is that if copyright laws are too restrictive, it may stifle free speech, news reporting, or result in disproportionate penalties for inconsequential or accidental inclusion.

What does fair use allow?
    Under fair use rules, it may be possible to use quotations or excerpts, where the work has been made available to the public, (i.e. published). Provided that:

The use is deemed acceptable under the terms of fair dealing.
    That the quoted material is justified, and no more than is necessary is included.
    That the source of the quoted material is mentioned, along with the name of the author.
    Typical free uses of work include:
    Inclusion for the purpose of news reporting.
    Incidental inclusion.
    National laws typically allow limited private and educational use.
    What is incidental inclusion?
    This is where part of a work is unintentionally included. A typical examples of this would be a case where holiday movie inadvertently captured part of a copyright work, such as some background music, or a poster that just happened to on a wall in the background.

Points to keep in mind...
    The actual specifics of what is acceptable will be governed by national laws, and although broadly similar, actual provision will vary from country to country.

Cases dealing with fair dealing can be complex, as decisions are based on individual circumstances and judgements. This can be a very difficult area of copyright law.

To avoid problems, if you are in any doubt, you are advised to always get the permission of the owner, prior to use.

I suggest that the OP make contact with whoever owns the monty python material (try contacting them using the link on http://pythonline.com )

Sitout, I'm fairly certain that you are wrong in assuming that there is no copyright issue involved!

I'm guessing that you think that as only parts are being performed that the "fair use" exclusion from copyright can be invoked but from

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p09_fair_use

I suggest that the OP make contact with whoever owns the monty python material (try contacting them using the link on http://pythonline.com )

Cheers, i have used that link already and am awaiting a response,i was originally thinking about the "Fair use" exclusion get out of jail card and as we are only doing sections of the script i'm still hoping that this will be the case. However if not then no problem what ever it costs within reason we will gladly pay!
    regards
    busted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭messygirl

hiya would definately be interested inauditioning, sounds really fun! :D

messygirl wrote: »
    hiya would definately be interested inauditioning, sounds really fun! :D[/QUO

I will pm you the details when we are starting auditions, a huge response to this so far guys any one else interested just let me know.
    Busted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I take it this will be based in Cork.

• Advertisement

I take it this will be based in Cork.

Well I'm currently out of the country , but i shall be looking into different venues if we get the right people. Though to answer your question, yes originally it will be Cork based, north Cork to be precise in the town off Mallow. We have in the past taken our shows on the road and to reasonable success too but its always difficult when you have a large cast and crew. I'm hoping to solve this though by doubling or even tripling up on parts very like the Movie. Il have to see what happens. Il keep everyone posted. I'm actually honestly surprised by the amount of pms I've received and, rest assured il be contacting everyone who has asked to audition in due course.
    busted

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I worked on the first stage production of Life of Brian back in 2001, it was performed by Dreamstuff Youth Theatre in Kilkenny who performed it again in December of 2008. The rights were given to them for free by Handmade Productions as they were a youth group so they didn't charge them at all and send on all the material for the production, which was really nice of them.

I don't think any adult production might get off as freely though.

Threadhead wrote: »
    I worked on the first stage production of Life of Brian back in 2001, it was performed by Dreamstuff Youth Theatre in Kilkenny who performed it again in December of 2008. The rights were given to them for free by Handmade Productions as they were a youth group so they didn't charge them at all and send on all the material for the production, which was really nice of them.

I don't think any adult production might get off as freely though.

Your right, we found out on tuesday we have to pay:(. However its not to expensive:D. Auditions will most probally be held in October, but this is not confirmed yet!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭383Ger

Your right, we found out on tuesday we have to pay:(. However its not to expensive:D. Auditions will most probally be held in October, but this is not confirmed yet!:)

I assume you had to haggle??;)

383Ger wrote: »
    I assume you had to haggle??;)

Ten for that, you must be mad?

Advertisement