Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup Third Round June 12 - 14

• 11-06-2009 9:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

If you can't find someone to go out and support here you're either a Shelbourne fan (sorry) or Rubert Murdoch owns you. I'm plumping for Blarney and Bohs.

12 Jun 2009 Blarney United 7:45 Sporting Fingal O'Shea Park
    12 Jun 2009 Bohemians :cool: 7:45 Mayfield United Dalymount Park
    12 Jun 2009 Bray Wanderers 7:45 Bluebell United Carlisle Grounds
    12 Jun 2009 Cork City 7:45 Sligo Rovers Turner's Cross
    12 Jun 2009 Limerick 7:45 St Patrick's Athletic Jackman Park
    12 Jun 2009 Mervue United 7:45 Dundalk Terryland Park
    12 Jun 2009 Derry City 7:45 Ballymun United The Brandywell
    12 Jun 2009 UCD 7:45 Arklow Town UCD Bowl
    13 Jun 2009 Tralee Dynamos 6:30 Salthill Devon Cahermoneen
    13 Jun 2009 Shamrock Rovers 7:00 Drogheda United Tallaght Stadium
    13 Jun 2009 Waterford United 7:00 Carrigaline United RSC
    13 Jun 2009 Kildare County 7:30 Athlone Town Station Road
    13 Jun 2009 Finn Harps 7:45 Galway United Finn Park
    14 Jun 2009 Cherry Orchard 3:00 Monaghan United Red Cow Bluebell
    14 Jun 2009 Wexford Youths 3:00 6:00 Longford Town Ferrycarrig Park

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

The 3rd round started on Tuesday. Good crowd from Crumlin, they deserved a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I shall not be attending Cork City Vs Sligo Rovers on Friday. Reason being, the last 2 games have seen some of the worst football I have ever witnessed, and I am fúcked if I am going to waste more time and money watching that shower of ****e lumping the ball up to so called footballer Denis Behan for 90 minutes. Then, after a banal 0-0, or awful 1-0 win, hear Doolin bleat on about how the club is going from strength to strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

gimmick wrote: »
    hear Doolin bleat on about how the club is going from strength to strength.

Two points off the top? Only thing that will stop you challenging is the taxman.

I agree that you do have the resources to play better football though.

Rovers to labour past Drogs, and would love to see Bluebell get a shock result.

Thats more an indictment of how poor the rest of the league is than how good we are. The football we are playing is so incredible negative and poor. It is sickening. Its the same pattern of play throughout

1. The guy who plays in goal for us rolls in to the left back, who takes a touch and launches it long to whoever is furthest out on the right.

or

2. The guy who plays in goal for us rolls in to the right back, who takes a touch and launches it long to whoever is furthest out on the left.

or

3. The guy who plays in goal for us rolls in to centre, who takes a touch and launches it long to whoever is furthest up front.

I do not know why a midfield is even deployed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

stovelid wrote: »
    ...and would love to see Bluebell get a shock result.
    I'll admit to being a bit nervous about this one. We have been woefully inconsistent this season and it's pretty frustrating to watch, you never know if it's going to be a good or bad day for us.

We've played a few non-league teams in the cup in recent years and dispatched all of them relativey easily. Also, Bluebell are missing a few Irish Amateur internationals and they're out of season.

That said, it's still Wanderers and who knows what'll happen on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Just to update the KO details for Wexford Youths v Longford.

The match will be at 6pm on Sunday and not as previously advertised.

Thats more an indictment of how poor the rest of the league is than how good we are. The football we are playing is so incredible negative and poor. It is sickening. Its the same pattern of play throughout

1. The guy who plays in goal for us rolls in to the left back, who takes a touch and launches it long to whoever is furthest out on the right.

or

2. The guy who plays in goal for us rolls in to the right back, who takes a touch and launches it long to whoever is furthest out on the left.

or

3. The guy who plays in goal for us rolls in to centre, who takes a touch and launches it long to whoever is furthest up front.

I do not know why a midfield is even deployed.

Welcome to Planet Doolin.

I'll admit to being a bit nervous about this one. We have been woefully inconsistent this season and it's pretty frustrating to watch, you never know if it's going to be a good or bad day for us.

We've played a few non-league teams in the cup in recent years and dispatched all of them relativey easily. Also, Bluebell are missing a few Irish Amateur internationals and they're out of season.

That said, it's still Wanderers and who knows what'll happen on the day.

Said that because my mate played for them years ago, and they are not too far away from me, as opposed to the fact they're playing Bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

1. The guy who plays in goal for us rolls in to the left back...
    That's a big advance on hoofing it up himself. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Quint wrote: »
    The 3rd round started on Tuesday. Good crowd from Crumlin, they deserved a win.

Shocking match, now whether to go to the replay and miss part of our "end of Leaving Cert" pish-up and to give the match a miss!? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shocking match, now whether to go to the replay and miss part of our "end of Leaving Cert" pish-up and to give the match a miss!? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

:rolleyes:

... decisions, decisions.
    It's not every day you finish the Leaving Cert. Then again, it's not every day you get the chance to witness defeat at the hands of a non-league outfit. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Tralee Dynamos v Salthill Devon

Game of the round. Two up and comers.

Go with the Leaving cert pish up. Crumlin clearly wanted it more, their strikers had a good fitness level, still making 30 yard sprints in the last few minutes. We're going out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

SectionF wrote: »
    If you can't find someone to go out and support here you're either a Shelbourne fan (sorry) or Rubert Murdoch owns you. I'm plumping for Blarney and Bohs.

12 Jun 2009 Blarney United 7:45 Sporting Fingal O'Shea Park
    12 Jun 2009 Bohemians :cool: 7:45 Mayfield United Dalymount Park
    12 Jun 2009 Bray Wanderers 7:45 Bluebell United Carlisle Grounds
    12 Jun 2009 Cork City 7:45 Sligo Rovers Turner's Cross
    12 Jun 2009 Limerick 7:45 St Patrick's Athletic Jackman Park
    12 Jun 2009 Mervue United 7:45 Dundalk Terryland Park
    12 Jun 2009 Derry City 7:45 Ballymun United The Brandywell
    12 Jun 2009 UCD 7:45 Arklow Town UCD Bowl
    13 Jun 2009 Tralee Dynamos 6:30 Salthill Devon Cahermoneen
    13 Jun 2009 Shamrock Rovers 7:00 Drogheda United Tallaght Stadium
    13 Jun 2009 Waterford United 7:00 Carrigaline United RSC
    13 Jun 2009 Kildare County 7:30 Athlone Town Station Road
    13 Jun 2009 Finn Harps 7:45 Galway United Finn Park
    14 Jun 2009 Cherry Orchard 3:00 Monaghan United Red Cow Bluebell
    14 Jun 2009 Wexford Youths 3:00 6:00 Longford Town Ferrycarrig Park

Ok... here goes:
    Cant really see too many upsets - most of these games will goto form, I expect Bluebell will get something at Bray (maybe a draw or sneak a win) ..... Dundalk away to Mervue - if the tie wasnt switched to Terryland Park I would have said a home win...unfortunately - I will have to go with Dundalk for this one.

I'm hoping for a Mayfield victory over Bohs (but cant really see it happening - expect 3-1 bohs victory)
    Cherry Orchard will give Monaghan a run and will probably win 1-0 or 2-1.

I dont think Ballymun Utd have much of a chance up in Derry - all depends on which Derry team starts, its possible kenny will use the game to blood the younger players or rest a few of the older ones.

for the non-Leaguers I think Tralee Dynamo's will beat Salthill Devon 2-0 or 3-0 , Salthill have a fantastic setup and excellent youth system - the ladies in particular, I just think Tralee will use home advantage and get the crowd behind them.

I think there will be a couple of draws: Kildare/Athlone, Finn Harps/Galway, Limerick/Pats maybe one or two more (Cork/Sligo...even though I hope for a home win)

Actually I think I will goto the Bohs-Mayfield game

just to add: I cant remember what game it was but I remember being surprised by an Arklow draw/victory a number of weeks ago against a strong Dublin team (possibly Phoenix I'm just guessing).... anyway, they might have a go off UCD at the Bowl...draw maybe !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

ohhh next EL rant you go on , im soooooo gonna quote that.

in fairness it is shels ,did you somehow expect to have more fans than junior club.

limerick to win morrow.

Des wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

...and how many away matchs do you go to, you cap-less mong!?:D
    SectionF wrote: »
    It's not every day you finish the Leaving Cert. Then again, it's not every day you get the chance to witness defeat at the hands of a non-league outfit. :p
    Quint wrote: »
    Go with the Leaving cert pish up.

Might be postponed till Tuesday night so could be a win-win.:cool:
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    ohhh next EL rant you go on , im soooooo gonna quote that.

in fairness it is shels ,did you somehow expect to have more fans than junior club.

Balls!:pac:

As for your fans comment, the ironing there is quality considering Pats "amazing" attendences and they're a Premier side. But well I ain't a UCD fan and this ain't fool.ie so lets not get into a attendence agruement.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

City v Sligo a definite draw I reckon.

95/6 minutes of watching the c**t hoof the ball up to the Sligo defenders, while supporters chat about the dream that someday Tommy NB gets bought out, and the nightmare years of Matthews/Doolin might come to an end.

What better way to spend a Friday night...

8 -1 to the Bohs. That, of course, doesn't tell the story of 15 sublime misses by Neale Fenn. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Hopefully we can get past Drogheda. Against bottom of the table, I'm confident. Draws against them so far though.

• Advertisement

Poor performance in Jackman last night, limerick should have been 2 up only for the pitch to interfere. Worst pitch i have ever seen, it makes tallaght look like the Emirates.

Started 2nd half the better , scored then saw out the win. Lynch went off injured and a kid came on for him and scored :)

I can see Drogs beating Rovers tbh.

Bluebell had their chance for an upset last night and missed out on it. We did enough to get through.

Foran got injured in the warm-up so we had to switch shape before match even started. Ten minutes we had another injury and we had to switch shape again. About ten minutes after that, Chris Shields got sent off for kicking out after been fouled. He also got injured in the incident so he was shown the red as he was stretchered off.

After that, we had all the ball but only had one real chance in the first half. At the start of the second, Bluebell had a few corners but did nothing while we had a few chances. We scored from a corner and then they had a bit more of the ball.

They got a penalty and Skippy should have been sent off. He wasn't and he saved the peno. About ten minutes later we got a pen and scored it. After that, Bluebell had a few more corners and in injury time they scored from one and went close from another a few minutes later but that was the closest they came all night.

Like I said, they had their chance and didn't take it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I can see Drogs beating Rovers tbh.

They'll be wondering just quite how they didn't.

Awful awful stuff. Broke into laughter over the incident for Pat Flynn's red card though. Almost like a caricature of his hard man label, he went into Robinson/Drogheda player/ball kicking at everything including Robinson. It was inevitable he'd wade in and catch someone and drew blood on himself for good measure... :D

A game of two halves was never such a fitting cliché.

Duggan is going to cost us big time if MON doesn't get Baz back in soon.

Wtf is wrong with Shane?

If Darragh's knock is serious, we're fucked.

I didn't quite catch the PF episode properly, only the immediate aftermath and the card.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I had my reservations about Robinson before the season started because of how he left in 2004, but didn't expect this bad..

Maguire looked serious - looked like he jarred his knee, he should've been taken off earlier, but Flynn straight into centre-half?

The midfield remains the big problem outside of SOC and Rice as none seem to turn up in Tallaght unless Maguire is out long-term. Sives was limping at the end, Webb is out long-term, Price was injured and Flynn is suspended with Duggan (who I don't think deserves the abuse he gets) behind them. Deary me. :confused:

rovers fans? why is your keeper being offered to pats?

wasnt he the best thing ever not so long ago, clarke going to fingal :mad::mad::mad: and we getting your 2nd choice.

i know you need to cut your wage bill for Barret but is releasing your best keeper the way forward?

i want clarke in goal instead of Calamity Rogers but instead we get rovers 2nd keeper on the bench so Calamity rogers gets a game :confused::confused::confused:

dfx- wrote: »
    I had my reservations about Robinson before the season started because of how he left in 2004, but didn't expect this bad..

Maguire looked serious - looked like he jarred his knee, he should've been taken off earlier, but Flynn straight into centre-half?

The midfield remains the big problem outside of SOC and Rice as none seem to turn up in Tallaght unless Maguire is out long-term. Sives was limping at the end, Webb is out long-term, Price was injured and Flynn is suspended with Duggan (who I don't think deserves the abuse he gets) behind them. Deary me. :confused:

I feel for Shane, but fact is he's been a disaster.

I don't abuse RD myself, but he's really hesitant at times. He doesn't seem to own the area - to be able to make quick decisions on whether to claim the ball himself or tell defenders to clear. Perhaps the crowd are making him nervous.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    rovers fans? why is your keeper being offered to pats?
    :

MON doesn't seem to fancy him. Simple as. I don't see how Duggan or Coleman are better options myself.

Fair dues to Drogs on their revival. Not just for giving Shamrock a rattle, but for showing some guts to defy all those who've given them no hope this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

stovelid wrote: »
    I feel for Shane, but fact is he's been a disaster.

I don't abuse RD myself, but he's really hesitant at times. He doesn't seem to own the area - to be able to make quick decisions on whether to claim the ball himself or tell defenders to clear. Perhaps the crowd are making him nervous.

MON doesn't seem to fancy him. Simple as. I don't see how Duggan or Coleman are better options myself.

MON is giving Baz a swift sharp shock to get him out of his 'bubble' apparantly. Lets hope he takes in on board like Amond did and sort out whatever gripe MON has with him. Rumours abound that he is for the off and Brian Murphy of the D7 unwashed is in to replace him.

Duggan is not approaching a viable number 1. And thats being polite.

We will hammer them up there, away form is superb. Its getting worrying how we can't put teams away in Tallaght.

We have taken 3 from 12 against the bottom 2. 12 from 12 would have us way out in front.

Shels -v- Crumlin replay tonight most likely in the lashings of rain, oh the glamour of the cup.:D

We will hammer them up there, away form is superb. Its getting worrying how we can't put teams away in Tallaght.

Few of us have been speculating that the impatience/barracking/sometimes-booing from the crowd is getting to the team at home, and also just the whole (over) expectation around what is still a (limited) team-in-progress. Some players are thriving on the Tallaght thing a-la Dessie, but people like Shane are having a mare.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

Shels -v- Crumlin replay tonight most likely in the lashings of rain, oh the glamour of the cup.:D

Shels beaten 1- nil. Good Result for crumlin, Cant say its a huge shock, Crumlin are a good side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Word is Cork didnt pay Sligo Rovers their share of the gate money
    friday night:mad::mad::mad:

elshambo wrote: »
    Longford Town installed some of their officials in our ticket booth to 'assist us' in counting the correct number of spectators purchasing tickets. I suppose that is usual for cup games.

Anyway, the replay tomorrow has been moved to 6pm due to problems with the floodlights

• Advertisement

elshambo wrote: »

Word is wrong. There was a dispute after the game alright as Sligo would not accept the fact that CCFC sold concession tickets for OAPs and U16s. Sligo did get their money. That is a fact.

Word is wrong. There was a dispute after the game alright as Sligo would not accept the fact that CCFC sold concession tickets for OAPs and U16s. Sligo did get their money. That is a fact.
    On the subject of concessions, Wexford Youths FC let children in free of charge to all league games but we had to charge for them on Sunday. It didn't go down too well with the locals.

CCFC travel to Sligo tonight for the replay. If Sligo play like they did Friday, they will stroll this one, but I have a sneaking suspicion we will take a dirty 0-1.

Good result in the southside derby :pac:

Didn't Crumlin do really well against a Premier side a few years ago, Sligo, maybe?

I'd be a bit nervous for whoever gets them in the next round.

• Advertisement

Rumours that Keely walked out last night.

Rumours that Keely walked out last night.

While its never pretty to lose to an amateur outfit, I heard that Crumlin were aerobically fitter, and in their off season too. :eek:

Confirm or deny Dessie?

While its never pretty to lose to an amateur outfit, I heard that Crumlin were aerobically fitter, and in their off season too. :eek:

Confirm or deny Dessie?

I don't know really. If our players had have looked even half-arsed they might have made the Crumlin players run a bit.

I have to say, Crumlin brought some very vocal fans with them, they are to be commended on that. Best away fans I've seen in Tolka since we were in the PD.

Welcome back btw ONYD....has it really been six months?

I don't know really. If our players had have looked even half-arsed they might have made the Crumlin players run a bit.

I have to say, Crumlin brought some very vocal fans with them, they are to be commended on that. Best away fans I've seen in Tolka since we were in the PD.

From the sounds of it, Kicker has run his course at Shels and you might be better off trying something new.

Fenlon is looking for a new club.... :pac:

From the sounds of it, Kicker has run his course at Shels and you might be better off trying something new.
    Of course, that's bollocks.

We've dropped the least amount of points in the division this season, and sit second with a game in hand against Finn Harps.

Fenlon is looking for a new club.... :pac:

We haven't enough money any more for Fenlon to buy titles.

On his way to Scotland I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Ya cause no other club does kids or oap tickets?:o

Your always doubting the cork lads word on financial things yet believe them on this?:confused:

"we will give ye yer money on tuesday, promise"

Hope word is wrong but
    Word is......

I know for a fact as I was speaking with 2 people who were involved in the dispute after the game. Sligo are not owed a cent. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

That is not to say that they were not treated poorly however. But they got what they were owed. End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

How is the gate money divided up between home and away club. I always thought the home club got the entire gate or is this just a cup thing. Do they count the away fans so they can calculate how much to give the away club?

How is the gate money divided up between home and away club. I always thought the home club got the entire gate or is this just a cup thing. Do they count the away fans so they can calculate how much to give the away club?

its 40 / 40 / 20 to the home team, away team and FAI in that order.

What I heard was that Cork only offered 40% of tickets sold prior to the game - ie. 'forgot' about tickets bought on the day of the game.

Gimmick can gloss over it if he wants, but its another example of Coughlan running the football club like a building site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

oldyouth wrote: »
    Longford Town installed some of their officials in our ticket booth to 'assist us' in counting the correct number of spectators purchasing tickets. I suppose that is usual for cup games.

They have some cheek. We played them away a few years ago and their own tactic was to give out kids tickets to everyone so that when totting up the "gate receipts" all the stubs would be of the discounted tickets and they wouldnt have to give as much away! Needless to say they were rumbled.

As for having their own men on yer gate, last time they did that in our place, thier man actually miscounted. Only for we were doing the honest thing and telling them they would have got a far less cut than they did.

• Advertisement
Advertisement