Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C. Ronaldo gone!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The worst example of a 'modern player'. Great to see him leave the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭xabi

Des wrote: »
    not working mate

This one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Hephaestus wrote: »
    £80m cash up front - Jesus, absolute madness!

This is a great deal for Utd.

They would have been fools to turn it down!

On another note, how are real goin to fit both Kaka & Ronaldo into the same team whilst getting the best out of both of them?

I am actually a bit surprised that Ronaldos ego is allowing him to join Madrid the same season as Kaka.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭WalkOn

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    so he has until the end of June to decide, this one might drag out yet

its decided, Madrid have until the end of June to purchase

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Xabi posted it Des

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

thewools wrote: »
    Anyone expect Man City to come in with a crazy bid for ronnie now that he is on the market??? :D

hope they do - would make things more interesting!! :rolleyes:
    Actually, speaking of Man City. It sounds like it's gonna be a bit more difficult for them to attract some of the bigger names considering that the bigger clubs are dipping their toes into the "big transfer" market.

As for Ronaldo, Utd. had to accept the offer, especially when he wanted out anyway. It'll be interesting to see who they go for now. They'll need a few Midfielders for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

nedtheshed wrote: »
    I am actually a bit surprised that Ronaldos ego is allowing him to join Madrid the same season as Kaka.
    WalkOn wrote: »
    its decided, Madrid have until the end of June to purchase

United have not set a deadline for it to be done.
    Matters are expected to be concluded by 30 June

They have simple said thats when the expect everything to be completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭WalkOn

Hephaestus wrote: »
    £80m cash up front - Jesus, absolute madness!

This is a great deal for Utd.

They would have been fools to turn it down!

On another note, how are real goin to fit both Kaka & Ronaldo into the same team whilst getting the best out of both of them?

Deal was done ages ago, Fergie was lying through his teath all along.. had to come out befoer the end of june as thats when the agreement ran out and RM would have to pay 20M to ManU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

davyjose wrote: »
    The knives come out :rolleyes:

No, I asked for the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The end of June has been said because the transfer windows officially opens July 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

God I can't believe Ronaldo is costing nearly as much as our club. :(

Makes you bloody sick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Does anyone have a copy of that PRICK photo that was doing the rounds earlier in the month?

Just a gentle reminder for everyone (not targeting Des)

Context is a wonderful thing, that picture was funny last week when he was "happy" at OT, using it now as some sort of commentary on his behaviour because he's likely to leave borders on the abusive. Please resist that temptation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

There's no doubt Ronaldo is one of the greatest in the world, however you simply cannot turn down £80 million for a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

That_Guy wrote: »
    God I can't believe Ronaldo is costing nearly as much as our club. :(

Makes you bloody sick!
    No player is bigger than the club :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just a gentle reminder for everyone (not targeting Des)

Context is a wonderful thing, that picture was funny last week when he was "happy" at OT, using it now as some sort of commentary on his behaviour because he's likely to leave borders on the abusive. Please resist that temptation.

I was asking for it, not to abuse the guy, but to email to friends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Top Drawer? Sorry, top drawer is Kaka, Ronaldo, Messi - they all play in Spain now, we sold one of them. We can get 2 second drawer players.

And money to spare? For what? For a third drawer player? For the Glazer's debt? Come on guys, players like that don't grow on trees. He's irreplaceable as far as I'm concerned. And we're a less good team now.

davyjose,
    I've been waiting for this day for awile now. I've been of the opinion 2let the huge bid come in and let him off" but I gotta say now that is departure is on the doorstep for what has to be crazy money I do feel slighty different. He gave us a threat and matchwinning ability that is not too easy to find across the world of football. His ability to score goals from counter attacking football is phenominal. However the lad wanted to leave for at least 12 months now, imo the other 9 outfield players on the pitch with Ronnie carry him defensively. When Berbatov plays you can bring that figure down to 8. The guy isn't really a team player, most hos hos post match interviews will give you an insight into that, however hard he tries to disguise it.

We will not replace him, FACT. We may however get a forward who scores a sh!t load of goals (David Villa ??) and a midfielder who contributes going forward and defensively. Of course now that we have money in the pockets once again we'll pay over the odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

No, I asked for the picture.

You got it about 3 times mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Turning into UEFA around here. No protection for players at English clubs, as soon as the jump ship its not OK to "abuse" them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Crazy money, Real are a fúcking joke.

United will miss him, no doubt. There are no other major goalscorers currently at the club. Yes they will go out and buy Ribery, Benzema etc. but it may take them a while to gel, or they could even flop alltogether.

Better off in the long run? Yes. Better off next season? I ain't so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I was asking for it, not to abuse the guy, but to email to friends

Hence me saying I wasn't targeting you Des, the point needed making for everyone's benefit.

• Advertisement

davyjose,
    I've been waiting for this day for awile now. I've been of the opinion 2let the huge bid come in and let him off" but I gotta say now that is departure is on the doorstep for what has to be crazy money I do feel slighty different. He gave us a threat and matchwinning ability that is not too easy to find across the world of football. His ability to score goals from counter attacking football is phenominal. However the lad wanted to leave for at least 12 months now, imo the other 9 outfield players on the pitch with Ronnie carry him defensively. When Berbatov plays you can bring that figure down to 8. The guy isn't really a team player, most hos hos post match interviews will give you an insight into that, however hard he tries to disguise it.

We will not replace him, FACT. We may however get a forward who scores a sh!t load of goals (David Villa ??) and a midfielder who contributes going forward and defensively. Of course now that we have money in the pockets once again we'll pay over the odds.

I wanted him out last summer, i said "if he thinks he's too good for United, screw him." But when we were without him for the first few weeks of the season I realised that we're actually just a "good" side without him - nothing special.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

nedtheshed wrote: »

I'd say the fact that Kaka just joined is more of a draw for him than anything, it shows their intentions.

So Real now have the last two Ballon D'ors and are planning on bringing in more players.

Anyone else think they are worth a tenner for the CL?

Remember, it is Zidane who is picking these players, he is Perez's "Advisor" so I wouldn't be suprised if they actually build a proper team this time.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

thewools wrote: »
    Anyone expect Man City to come in with a crazy bid for ronnie now that he is on the market??? :D

hope they do - would make things more interesting!! :rolleyes:
    I hope they do too... Push up the price a little! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

davyjose wrote: »
    Top Drawer? Sorry, top drawer is Kaka, Ronaldo, Messi - they all play in Spain now, we sold one of them. We can get 2 second drawer players.

And money to spare? For what? For a third drawer player? For the Glazer's debt? Come on guys, players like that don't grow on trees. He's irreplaceable as far as I'm concerned. And we're a less good team now.

Regardless of what drawer you keep them in, utd will be able (if the choose/if the cash is made available) to buy a player at £50m if they think that he is the player necessary. If you cant get a player who will contribute an ass load of match winning goals against muck premiership defences for that money then I give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Dante

He cost almost as much as Newcastle......LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

There's no doubt Ronaldo is one of the greatest in the world, however you simply cannot turn down £80 million for a player.

Exactly.For the £80 million, united could get Benzema/David Villa, maybe a Ribery, and pay the rest off the debt/interest.

Bottom line, no one player is worth £80 million. On another note, is this the first time that united havent been screwed when selling a big name player, after getting relative peanuts for the likes of Beckham and Van Nistelrooy etc?

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'd say the fact that Kaka just joined is more of a draw for him than anything, it shows their intentions.

So Real now have the last two Ballon D'ors and are planning on bringing in more players.

Anyone else think they are worth a tenner for the CL?

Remember, it is Zidane who is picking these players, he is Perez's "Advisor" so I wouldn't be suprised if they actually build a proper team this time.

They have no defence. They'll only lose 6-5 to Barce next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Real Madrid have more in their transfer kitty then the price of Newcastle Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

If Real are stupid and ignorant enough to hand over that kinda cash, them and Ronnie deserve each other tbh.

I'd say Arsene Wenger (or MON to a lesser degree) could build a league challenging side with £80m. That's 9 Ashley Young's :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Sky News just showed the "Jesus Christ I wouldn't sell that mob a virus"
    clip. :p

Will be very very interesting to see who comes in to replace him.

I wonder if he will have the self-confidence to deal with the pressure of the world's most expensive player tag :D:D

• Advertisement

If anything it'll make Fantasy Football interesting next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

He played on the left , he played on the right , he ****ed off to Madrid the ungreatful little ****E!!! Best thing you ever done for United is ****in off 80 million get in!!!!

No player bigger than Manchester united we seen that with Jaap Stam and Beckham , Fergie is not an idiot , Ribery,Benzema,Van Der Vaart the list is endless. We should put a bid for 80 million for gerrard ha they 'd have to accept it seen as they're in all that debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Better off in the long run? Yes. Better off next season? I ain't so sure.

That's the question, and the interesting answer has yet to come That's why we all watch football and argue over stuff here every day.

Also Fantasy Football managers everywhere will have to actually come up with a decent alternative to the "Schtick Ronaldo as capatin shure!" technique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I wanted him out last summer

I was the same and still was up till now really. It's come as a hard pill to swallow but we have to move on. United are bigger than any 1 player. We've had to recover from shock departures in the past and no doubt will do again in the future.

Seaneh wrote: »
    You hardly need an advisor like Zidane to tell you who the best players in the world are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

RVN10 wrote: »
    We should put a bid for 80 million for gerrard ha they 'd have to accept it seen as they're in all that debt.

The ironing is delicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

WOW.

First reaction is im gutted. Sure, its a massive amount of money ( a stupid amount tbh) but my concern is how do we replace those goals?

Hope we get the whole amount to reinvest in the squad and im glad its done early in the summer so we can sort out our own targets and get them bedded in. The problem is now for us when we negotiate and other clubs know we have just got 80m in the bank.

Cheers for the memories Cristiano, you won everything with us and gl with Real Madrid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Exactly.For the £80 million, united could get Benzema/David Villa, maybe a Ribery, and pay the rest off the debt/interest.

Bottom line, no one player is worth £80 million. On another note, is this the first time that united havent been screwed when selling a big name player, after getting relative peanuts for the likes of Beckham and Van Nistelrooy etc?

Of course they are , A player is only worth what another team is willing to pay for him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

80m upfront for Ronaldo is very good business for Manchester United. It also means Ferguson has months to reevaluate the structure of the team and now has the money to bring in 2 world class players.

If they bring in a hard working replacement that will track back, you will get alot more from Berbatov too, which is like an extra player in its own right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

This Is Great News Absolutely Delighted :)
    Ribery Wont Go To United Because Of The Weather
    And Nevile Giggs Scholes And Van Der Sar All Getting Old
    And The Club Being In Death :)
    The Title Should Be Very Interesting This Year ;)

I think his name is Wayne Rooney thats how we will invest them goals , he proving a point up front for England good riddance is all i say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

He played on the left , he played on the right , he ****ed off to Madrid the ungreatful little ****E!!! Best thing you ever done for United is ****in off 80 million get in!!!!

I would have thought the best thing he done for them was contribute hugely to their success over the last 2-3 seasons

Redzer7 wrote: »
    And Nevile Giggs Scholes And Van Der Sar All Getting Old
    And The Club Being In Death :)

How often did three 0f the four you named played this season??? And well it could be worse we could be death but hey we have 80 million ,Liverpool nothing whatsoever.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

80 million pound! wow thats a fair whack for him. Hopefully it goes back into the squad now. Madrid are playing a high risk game, 80 million and 56 million for two players! What about the rest of the team? Maybe they have more big deals coming up:eek:. Football hasnt seen spending like this since rom came to town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

enviro wrote: »
    80 million pound! wow thats a fair whack for him. Hopefully it goes back into the squad now. Madrid are playing a high risk game, 80 million and 56 million for two players! What about the rest of the team? Maybe they have more big deals coming up:eek:. Football hasnt seen spending like this since rom came to town.

300 million to spend appartently.

80 + 56 = 136

Leaves 164 million.

the 300 million could have been Euro, all in all they have the same amount to spend again on players, and thats before they have sold anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

How often did three 0f the four you named played this season??? And well it could be worse we could be death but hey we have 80 million ,Liverpool nothing whatsoever.:pac:
    Hey I'm Not A Liverpool Fan ;)
    They Have Played A Number Of Games But Its Not Their Contribution To The First Team Squad Its Their Experience ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Max Power1 wrote: »
    On another note, is this the first time that united havent been screwed when selling a big name player, after getting relative peanuts for the likes of Beckham and Van Nistelrooy etc?

The thing with these 2 is that Fergie wanted rid of them where as Madird have actively pursued Ronaldo.

Becks because of his off field pop-starish antics.

Rudd because he had a bust up with Ronaldo.

Which raises an interesting point.

Where will Rudd be next season.

Man City per chance?
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Clip there played of last month, with Ronaldo being asked will he be staying. He said "yes, i'm staying" then he laughed out loud and had to repeat himself again.

For Madrid, if Ronaldo can score 30+ goals a season like he can in Manchester they WILL challenge on all fronts. Not to mention Kaká helping him get em in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Question is how much of that 80 million will Fergie get for players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

As others have said it will be extremely difficult to replace his goals - 91 goals in 155 games in the last three seasons. Even though he does take penalties and a fair whack of the free kicks, I really think no matter who comes in this will leave Utd a weaker team.

Sky News showing the interviews with him saying "I will be here next season":)

• Advertisement
Advertisement