Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C. Ronaldo gone!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Im a bit dissappointed. I hold no grudge against Cristiano, i thank him for what he has done. But now we need to buy. We just lost a big dimention, if we only buy Tevez and Valencia i think we are in big big trouble. Now that every team, hell, every insect on the earth knows we have £80m, the United tax will only increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I'm hearing he'll be on 180,000 a week. Christ. That's about 10m a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

One thing that hasn't been mention (as far as I can see anyway) is that now everyone knows UTD have money there will be an extra couple of Million on the price of anyone they are looking to buy....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

No player is worth 80 million. Has anyone asked where Real got 80 million from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

No player is bigger than the club :o

Only 20 million under. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Perez is apparntley worth 1.8 billion or something along them lines he got from his construction company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

First off, thanks for the memories and good luck. It was his dream to play for Madrid, and he's now living his dream, good for him.

I must say I'm somewhat surprised by the move. I think what has happened here is that Fergie convinced him to stay as part of the United project. But Ronaldo, like all United fans and players, are somewhat disillusioned by the stomping Barca gave us. I really think if we won that game, he would stay. But we didn't, so.

I think personally Madrid won't be that good as a team, the Galacticos policy doesn't work, teams need balance. Now maybe they've learnt that and they are gona buy defenders, but with Ronaldo and Kaka never tracking back ever, you need top quality defence. There gona have at least 3, possibly 4 players who do no defending.

That said, they'll be interesting to watch.

Anyway, good luck, I'll always keep an eye out for him, as I do genuinely quite like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Amazing to see the very same rival fans who said he was overrated celebrating this sale so much.

Very disappointed to see him leave the club as you want to watch the best players at your own team but can only assume Ferguson has a master plan that does not involve Cristiano Ronaldo. Interesting times ahead, I don't think that this is a sudden decision by Ferguson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

p_larkin99 wrote: »

The problem is now for us when we negotiate and other clubs know we have just got 80m in the bank.
    emc2 wrote: »
    One thing that hasn't been mention (as far as I can see anyway) is that now everyone knows UTD have money there will be an extra couple of Million on the price of anyone they are looking to buy....

Ill let ya off as the thread is moving pretty quickly! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Draupnir wrote: »
    Amazing to see the very same rival fans who said he was overrated celebrating this sale so much.

Well said man , hypocritical people is all i can say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Wages tho ronaldo on what 150,000-200,000 a week with virtually no tax to pay
    man that is a serious amount of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I can see every player United has been linked with in the last few weeks suddenly going up in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Even Though I'm An Arsenal Fan I've Always Rated Ronaldo And I'm Sad To See That The Premiership Won't Be The Same Quality Next Year, But On The Other Hand I'm Happy To See Him Go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

On one hand I'm absolutely gutted. Ronaldo has developed into a very special player, the kind of which there are only a handful of every generation. He's an exceptional talent and has been absolutely vital in the success we've had over the last 3 seasons. For all the talk of him "not being a big game player" I think he's turned it on time and again against opposition of all standards and there's no 1 player in the world that can replace him.

On the other hand, £80m is a huge chunk of change. You could buy Aguero/Benzema + Valencia + Ashley Young and still have money left over to cover the cost of Dodo (who may or may not develop into a superstar but we're not paying £6m for nothing....forget the Kleberson/Nani/Veron comments lads!) So we have a real opportunity to refresh the side completely...if Ferguson is given the money to spend.

Ultimately though I think United and the premier league will be the worse for him going and I'll hold judgement on whether it's a good move or not until I see what the transfer window brings to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

He will definitley be a loss to utd from a footballing sense, they won't be as good to watch. Buying an out and out goal scorer like Benzema will replace the goals though or even if Berba came good??

80 million will get a few bottles of st. tropez, get darren fletcher tanned up and get him up to speed on the step overs!

Seriously though I'm looking forward to what the summer transfer market brings us now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Draupnir wrote: »

Very disappointed to see him leave the club as you want to watch the best players at your own team but can only assume Ferguson has a master plan that does not involve Cristiano Ronaldo. Interesting times ahead, I don't think that this is a sudden decision by Ferguson.

This is not a decision by Ferguson at all - of course Fergie wanted to keep him but the player obviously wanted to leave. Utd will miss him big-time - they should try and sign Ribery before someone else does. Though Ribery said he didnt want to go England because of the climate but im sure the climate is negotiable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Mirror
    And last night the Spanish media were claiming to have received leaked details of the deal on the table.

The figures involved are astonishing - a transfer fee of £80m and a six-year contract with a salary of £9.5m including an in-built 25 per cent rise every year.

Lol, 25% increase every year means paying him £29m in year 6. Then again, this is Real we're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

jank wrote: »

It won't be paid all in the one suitcase.
    Probably £8M a year for the next 5 years, with the remainder coming from any subsequent transfer fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

It won't be paid all in the one suitcase.
    Probably £8M a year for the next 5 years, with the remainder coming from any subsequent transfer fee.

Nope, deal has "no conditions" meaning it's cash up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Iago wrote: »
    Nope, deal has "no conditions" meaning it's cash up front.

Not really to me no conditions means it doesn't rely on things like Real winnng the league, or CL or whatever. Does not mean it won't be paid in installments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

RVN10 wrote: »
    Perez is apparntley worth 1.8 billion or something along them lines he got from his construction company.

He also, by law, cannot give the club a penny more than his yearly membership.

It is club money they are spending.

I Can Hear The Chants Already :D
    Viva Ronaldo Viva Ronaldo
    Runnin Down The Wing Hear Real Sing
    Viva Ronaldo eico_tongue2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭WalkOn

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Even Though I'm An Arsenal Fan I've Always Rated Ronaldo And I'm Sad To See That The Premiership Won't Be The Same Quality Next Year, But On The Other Hand I'm Happy To See Him Go :D

Agree... I am a liverpool fan and as much as i hate him I liked him also. Good to watch, does some amazing things, but the huffs and head on the guy, christ....

Dont think that the Mancs can replace him also, with anyone player. They will need to get 3 or 4 in, across the midfield and a striker, dont think that tevez is the correct choice either. I would say Villa will go now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Not really to me no conditions means it doesn't rely on things like Real winnng the league, or CL or whatever. Does not mean it won't be paid in installments.

payment in installments is a condition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It will be interesting to see how Man U cope next season without Ronaldo, IMO this is on a level with Liverpool losing Steven Gerrard. That's how important Cristiano is to Man U.

That being said, it is very positive that this deal has been done relatively early. Fergie has plenty of time to replace him with two or three world class players.

davyjose wrote: »
    payment in installments is a condition.

A condition implies an if followed by a then. How does installments equal that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

what's the odds on a ronnie/kaka debut against rovers? :D

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how Man U cope next season without Ronaldo, IMO this is on a level with Liverpool losing Steven Gerrard. That's how important Cristiano is to Man U.

That being said, it is very positive that this deal has been done relatively early. Fergie has plenty of time to replace him with two or three world class players.

well pool fans keep rolling out how they rolled over united without gerrard..

so by that rational not much of a difference then? ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

How often did three 0f the four you named played this season??? And well it could be worse we could be death but hey we have 80 million ,Liverpool nothing whatsoever.:pac:

We have Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres for starters. Arguably we also have the most effective right winger in the league now too in Dirk Kuyt.

We also have two victories over United this season that show that on our day we are better than United.

I dare say with the departure of Ronaldo and possibly Tevez, it is United fans who should be more worried about where their team is going to strengthen this year than Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I'm delighted to see the diving, whinging, self obsessed, stroppy & arrogant player go. It's hard to like or respect the guy unless he plays for your team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I have to say as a United fan this is a fantastic sale price and based on his performances last season it was fairly obvious he wasnt entirely "at it" and its merely been confirmed that he was simply going through the motions somewhat in anticipation of this transfer which I have no doubt was agreed at the end of last season.

Would be churlish to say he won't be a loss to the team but I do genuinely believe its for the greater good for the team and in terms of appeasing me the only things that make this palatable would be -

a) For the good of the club's finances they have hopefully secured cash up front. Hasnt been confirmed anywhere I dont think. Paying in installments would be bollix frankly.

b) Benzema and Ribery please, anything less and I'd feel cheated somewhat.

Please do not waste £15-20m on Antonio Valencia from Wigan.

spockety wrote: »
    We have Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres for starters. Arguably we also have the most effective right winger in the league now too in Dirk Kuyt.

We also have two victories over United this season that show that on our day we are better than United.

I dare say with the departure of Ronaldo and possibly Tevez, it is United fans who should be more worried about where their team is going to strengthen this year than Liverpool.

we'll have hargreaves back and 80 mil to throw about

plus we still have a far stronger team and a hell of a lot more depth than any other side in England

2.5 decent players does not a premiership champion team make

but lets try and keep this thread about ronaldo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

He played on the left , he played on the right , he ****ed off to Madrid the ungreatful little ****E!!! Best thing you ever done for United is ****in off 80 million get in!!!!

give him a bit of credit...'the best thing he ever did for you'?

i'm all for utd fans keeping things in perspective and not being down hearted, but to say this is the best thing he ever did for you is bordering on delusional.

he'll quite rightly go down as one of your best ever players for his exploits over the last 2/3 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Twas only a matter of time before this turned into a Liverpool V Man Yew thread.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

ntlbell wrote: »

plus we still have a far stronger team and a hell of a lot more depth than any other side in England

I was happy to, until a United fan started doing wallet waving! ;)

A condition implies an if followed by a then. How does installments equal that.

If you sold your car, and the buyer offered to pay you in installments, would you consider it to be a condition? Come on man, it's a condition, pure and simple.

If you sold your car, and the buyer offered to pay you in installments, would you consider it to be a condition? Come on man, it's a condition, pure and simple.

a condition on the fee being 80 mil would be

if he does this

if we do this

the fee will be 80m regardless of any conditions.

this is not rocket science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I'm a a little gutted and pretty worried. Ronaldo is a special player (forgetting his tantrums), but 80 million is crazy.

We've lost Ronaldo, Tevez is as good as gone, Scholes, Giggs and Van Der Sar aren't going to be around for more than one or two more seasons. 80 million should buy Ribery and Benzema, along with our original budget, which will bring Valencia in as a replacement.

We've lost our main goal thread, and one of our other vital players in Carlos Tevez, may yet end up on Merseyside or end up at City.

Got to have faith in Fergie. We've lost Keane, Cantona, Stam, Beckham, etc. and still kept getting stronger every year. I would have liked to see Huntelaar come the other way. Fergie knows he has to invest in the team now, because if we take any step backwards, we know who finished second.

United are bigger than one player, and this could turn out to be fantastic, but it all depends who we bring in over the next couple of months.

I'd consider it financing. A condition would be me saying you have to pay me x every month or i'll break your ankles.

IF non payment THEN break ankles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jank wrote: »
    Yeah I asked them, but they haven't replied yet.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Good sale for ya i feel..Go buy ribery now and have a LOT left over...jesus you could buy two wingers

Ribery Wont Go To United :) Too Cold For Him :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

ntlbell wrote: »

Sadly, Hargreaves may be out a lot longer.

United had the strongest squad last season, but Ronaldo and Tevez will both have to be replaced just to prevent the squad from going backwards. And that won't be easy. How many top-class players are available th is summer, at any price? Ribery - but he would cost most of the money received for Ronaldo. Villa - maybe, but may not be suited to England, or English football. Beyond that, you are looking at very good players who would still be expensive.

I'd consider it financing. A condition would be me saying you have to pay me x every month or i'll break your ankles.

IF non payment THEN break ankles.

Fair enough. United described the statement as "Unconditional", not us. I guess we'll see how far Real bent us over and ass-f*cked us what that means, over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

131 million dollars!!!

As an Arsenal fan im pretty shocked that alot of the utd fans are happy with the money and that he can be easily replaced.

Every fan that watches the EPL will have to miss his skill, goals, and even a bit of his arrogance. What will dunphy and johnny have to talk about now??!!

Overall im glad hes gone though as its such a MASSIVE loss for Utd and it should make it alot easier for the chasing clubs next season regardless of who yee bring in!

Btw Valencia is laughable imo another Nani is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Soby wrote: »
    Good sale for ya i feel..Go buy ribery now and have a LOT left over...jesus you could buy two wingers

Have you seen how much Bayern are looking for FFS? Wouldnt surprise me if Bayern say Ribery is as good as Ronaldo and demand the same fee! Bayern must be one of the most steadfast clubs when it comes to selling, remember Hargreaves?

Personally Id hate to see us blow £60m on Ribery, just not worth it, sorry!

Liverpool would probably sell Gerrard for that if it was offered,no joke :eek:

itsjaybud wrote: »

What will dunphy and johnny have to talk about now??!!

they will probably start off with a Fergie has lost it rant.

How could he let two players like Tevez and Ronaldo leave Bill. HOW? Fergie out, Bill, Fergie out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I dont really like either Ronaldo or ManU ... but what a piece of amazing business for both sides! and just because a player leaves your team, it doesnt mean that 'they think they are too good for you' maybe he just wanted a change? ... or all that stupid amount of cash ... hell I know I would want that cash!!!!

Will be interesting to see who ManU buy now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Seaneh wrote: »
    He also, by law, cannot give the club a penny more than his yearly membership.

It is club money they are spending.

Can he buy himselfan £80m player and then give real a gift though?

It's ridiculous money though, like the Kaka deal.But sure if thats what they want to spend, it's their choice.

Advertisement