Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C. Ronaldo gone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Wonder how much of the transfer fee Ferguson will actually be allowed to spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Liam O wrote: »
    oh well, the day I never thought would happen (at least not this Summer) is here. I'd feel a lot worse if Ronaldo wasn't such a piece of crap but whether I like it or not he has been the main man at the club for the past few seasons and he has been a great servant to the club.

Hopefully now we get Ribery and maybe a new striker/DM/AM and I don't think we'll skip a beat but teams are going to take us to town on the transfer fees even more than they usually do now

ribery?munich said they wouldnt leave him go for 100 million ,thats why real backed off,somehow i dont think united will pay that or get him if its that high.cant see fergie spending that kind of money.

anyway how much of that 80 million will go on transfers?im sure some of it will be used to pay off debts etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ramos and ronaldo on the same wing .lolz they'll be torn apart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lads do ye realise that for £20m more Real could have bought Newcastle FC?!?!?!? :eek:
    teehee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Dave! wrote: »
    Lads do ye realise that for £20m more Real could have bought Newcastle FC?!?!?!? :eek:
    teehee

Jaysus, now that you've pointed it out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Maybe he ment that is how much they spent.

Don't know if it is true though.

Valdes, Puyol, Sergio, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi were all free. How much did Sylvinho, Pique, Toure, Henry, Eto'o cost them?

Henry- 24 million
    Eto'o-24 million
    sylvinho- 2 million
    toure- 9 million
    pique-undisclosed

looks like its true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Dave! wrote: »
    teehee

Well at least it'll make fantasy football more exciting.

Gordon Brown's reaction, for those who care :confused:

"He's one of the most brilliant players in the world. I think people will be sad that he's lost to the game in England.

"At the same time, I know Sir Alex Ferguson well, and I know he'll have plans that will be rebuilding and renewing his team. And I would expect that Manchester United and English football will emerge not weaker, but emerge in a new way and probably stronger in the long run".

Pighead wrote: »
    What about poems?

Stop singing your songs,
    they're rubbish, not cool,
    they're sad and they're boring,
    just like Liverpool.

Your songs are as funny
    as a lump of brown shite,
    if they were a human,
    they'd be like Dirk Kuyt.

'Sh*te' doesn't rhyme with 'Kowt' mate :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Man Utd bought him for 12.25 million, sell him for unconditional 80m. Thats a 67.75m profit. They got 6 seasons out of him, 3 of them superb. Doubtful that they would have won the CL and at least the 06/07 PL without him. Counting in all the shirt sales, prize money ect on the back of Ronaldo, this has to be the greatest transfer of all time not in terms of money and Man Utd getting the very best deal possible at the best time.

Man Utd got at least half of his best years imo. Ronaldo would be only half the player without his pace. Most footballers suffer at least one long term injury in their career, Ronaldo hasn't had that yet. His hamstrings have remained uninjured and his knees too. One injury there and we could see a very different Ronaldo. Also unlike Giggs who adapted as a player when he lost his pace i don't see Ronaldo having the pateince to do so. Imo Real have taken a huge risk. Sure they'll make the 80 mill back in shirt sales but from Man Utds perspective to get that money unconditional is hilarious, terrible practice from Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Fabian Delph > Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Messi is in spain...Kaka is in spain....Ronaldo is in spain...hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Soby wrote: »
    Messi is in spain...Kaka is in spain....Ronaldo is in spain...hmmm

Fabian Delph is in League One

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

"At the same time, I know Sir Alex Ferguson well, and I know he'll have plans that will be rebuilding and renewing his team. And I would expect that Manchester United and English football will emerge not weaker, but emerge in a new way and probably stronger in the long run".

Trans: "Now let us all rally behind this dour Scot who nobody likes". Real subtle, Gordon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

shotamoose wrote: »
    Trans: "Now let us all rally behind this dour Scot who nobody likes". Real subtle, Gordon.

I wouldn't call Fergie dour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Well La Liga will be 'The' league to watch next season.
    Its a mouthwatering prospect to see if Real can topple Barca.

It sorta was the league to watch for most of last season too, maybe it was the timings of the games, or maybe it was the games that were shown on Saturdays and SUndays, but I ended up watching more of that than the EPL on tv.

Man U will bring back Forlan at £40million...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Madrid are gonna be class in pro evo next year again the summer is over!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Trilla wrote: »
    You mean FIFA right? :)

Ah but a lil cheating to see the future world starts in Football Manager will make taking over United exciting ;)

• Advertisement

You mean FIFA right? :)

Na me and my mates didnt change religion this season. Dont see the attraction still, bit of yawn fest fifa. But thats another debate!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Na me and my mates didnt change religion this season. Dont see the attraction still, bit of yawn fest fifa. But thats another debate!

A debate you would lose. :pac:

mayordenis wrote: »
    A debate you would lose. :pac:

yes debating opinions and preferences! I've lost already!

yes debating opinions and preferences! I've lost already!

Some debates are more open and shut than other, and it's a myth that opinions can't be wrong,
    in my opinion Kaka is a liverpool player, but that is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Going to be some season for Madrid, I reckon Ronaldo really will flourish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

YES! No more Ronaldo, he's doomed over there. No more rumours!

YES!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i second your notion about being glad he's gone from the PL.

but imo he will be possibly even better in La Liga.

A little bit more time and space, less agressive defenders etc.
    He could really flourish over there, will be shown up by Mesiesta and Iniessi though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I think its good news that he's gone. I respect him for what hes done for United and for english football so thankyou Ronny .
    But for £80million + £30 million which was already available for transfers I think fergie will bring in a strong Midfield.Also I think Ronny made United look like a one man team . When Ronny was injured it was squeaky bum time playing against some teams .
    So I think this will be good for the rest of the United team to show its the team that wins games and not just 1 player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

All I have to say is good riddance!
    Now let's look at a montage!
    633676984492816328-ronaldo.jpg
    633543894445180999-ronaldo.jpg
    holland.jpg

BVB wrote: »
    I think its good news that he's gone. I respect him for what hes done for United and for english football so thankyou Ronny .
    But for £80million + £30 million which was already available for transfers I think fergie will bring in a strong Midfield.Also I think Ronny made United look like a one man team . When Ronny was injured it was squeaky bum time playing against some teams .
    So I think this will be good for the rest of the United team to show its the team that wins games and not just 1 player

you really think Utd are gonna sign a whole new midfield!?

a winger and a midfielder imo.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    you really think Utd are gonna sign a whole new midfield!?

a winger and a midfielder imo.

I reckon 2 wingers and a midfielder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i second your notion about being glad he's gone from the PL.

but imo he will be possibly even better in La Liga.
    Nah he will be the same. United will be a better TEAM though. Better off without him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

mayordenis wrote: »
    A little bit more time and space, less agressive defenders etc.
    He could really flourish over there, will be shown up by Mesiesta and Iniessi though :D

Are you sure about less aggression. In england defenders bumped into Ronaldo and he fell over practically crying.

In Spain Messi gets the ankles kicked off him every time he gets the ball and tries to keep running, if he falls he gets up and gets on with it.

If Ronaldo keeps up his mentality and gets half the real kicks Messi gets, he won't want the ball in spain.

CHD wrote: »
    Nah he will be the same. United will be a better TEAM though. Better off without him.

if they sign a world class winger & world class attacking midfielder they will be about as good as they are now.

their strikers dont get enough goals, ronaldo compensated for this.

their midfield doesn't get enough goals, ronaldo compensated for this.

their transfers this summer are going to be soooooo important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

I can just imagine the end of year tabloid headlines: "2009: Ronaldo worth more than Kaka, and Argentina don't make the World Cup"

Wtf is going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

Yeah but who does he buy, no big players in europe want to come to England. No players want to leave Spain and everybody wants to go there. Just look at the two players Fergie was looking at, Ribery and Benzema, both want to go to Spain! Who else is left? Antonio Valencia, yes because he could replace Ronaldo, yeah! :p

All I've got to say is if Tevez and Vidic leave, Utd are screwed! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yeah but who does he buy, no big players in europe want to come to England.

Since when?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Good riddance to him anyway, the petulant spoiled brat.

says it all really about the state of football today when A team that is £0.5bn in debt agreed a world record fee of £80m to sign a single player, three days after agreeing to sign another one for £60m.

Chelsea have the title more or less wrapped up next season now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

legs11 wrote: »

For my second post in a row I have to use the confused smilie:

Care to explain the above?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

adox wrote: »
    For my second post in a row I have to use the confused smilie:

Care to explain the above?:confused:

Because he is a bitter Everton fan so hopes that Man Utd and Liverpool will randomly choke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

legs11 wrote: »
    I'll have to raise an eyebrow too, adox.

:confused:

exactly, everyone knows the title race is between Chelsea & Everton next year :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

What happens it he doesn't agree Personal terms and conditions with Madrid

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

He stays and it's business as usual when he starts scoring goals again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

adox wrote: »
    Since when?:confused:

Not many World Class players come to the Premiership at their peak. Plenty have joined and developed into World Class talents (Ronaldo, Henry, Vidic, Essien for example) but most weren't established top players when they signed. There are exeptions though,I would consider Torres to be one.

Having said that though, I dont see why somebody like Aguero, Benzema or Ribery wouldn't come to England considering how strong the league has become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Crazy amount of money .. I think Utd were smart selling him for that kind of money.

I reckon that's not going to be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

The hefty six figure a week sum will think otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As this has been in the works for over a year, personal terms and conditions will not be an issue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Unearthly wrote: »
    Because he is a bitter Everton fan so hopes that Man Utd and Liverpool will randomly choke.

Pool have no chance of winning a title.

Man U have a chance but no team ever wins 3 on the trot.

Chelsea under the new boss have it pretty much in the bag.

Im not bitter at all, I couldn't care less who wins it tbh

Advertisement