Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C. Ronaldo gone!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

legs11 wrote: »
    Pool have no chance of winning a title.

Man U have a chance but no team ever wins 3 on the trot.

Chelsea under the new boss have it pretty much in the bag.

Im not bitter at all, I couldn't care less who wins it tbh

lolz ahh we've won 3 in a trot

twice now we've won 3 in a trot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

don't often do this, but....

facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Hmmm, what about the previous two times they've done it in the PL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Its funny how stupid some (NOT ALL) United fans are. "Glad he fecked off the ungrateful little sh**e" :D You should be kissing the mans feet for winning you the title pretty much single handedly but not United fans he can get lost now since he dosn't play for them.. Good work lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

eddiehead wrote: »
    Not many World Class players come to the Premiership at their peak. Plenty have joined and developed into World Class talents (Ronaldo, Henry, Vidic, Essien for example) but most weren't established top players when they signed. There are exeptions though,I would consider Torres to be one.

Having said that though, I dont see why somebody like Aguero, Benzema or Ribery wouldn't come to England considering how strong the league has become.

True. I think as fans sometimes we can miss the bigger picture too, remember the players have to live their lives and given the choice Id rather sunny Sapin over murky Manchester any day. There's also a very different culture in England versus on the continent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Mr Alan wrote: »
    don't often do this, but....

facepalm.jpg

whoops I meant to say 4 titles on the trot, I think its impossible, especially with the special one gone. and tevez also most likely

I think that pic more suits Pool fans after 20 years of failure tbh.

I stand by my prediction anyways.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

legs11 for poster of the year imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

'Pool will be a stronger team next year.
    Currently the strongest team in the league and will easily replace Ronnie with the funds available
    Thats a bit premature considering they havn't even trained under him yet.

As long as its not United or Liverpool;)

I think that pic more suits Pool fans after 20 years of failure tbh.

keep em coming legs, you're on a roll today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just came home from work and i've been waiting to discuss this all day...
    itsjaybud wrote: »

Btw Valencia is laughable imo another Nani is all.

absolutely ridiculous comment.. Valencia is a very good player and i'd be very happy to see him at pool.

Anyway i hav to say that this transfer business is turning into a complete joke!! Real have spent more money in 1 week then arsenal have in 5 years!! It's crazy... When man city were taken over i wasn't that worried because they needed success or at least champ league football to attract the likes of Kaka etc.. but this is seriously scary... i've never disliked real more..

Completely agree with phb btw... 2 attacking players can't change a poor defense... if they came up against man u, liverpool or chelsea they would struggle to get the ball to ronaldo and co!

Finally i'm surprisingly disappointed to see him go... sure it's a loss for our main rivals but he was still great to watch(when on form, obviously the diving will not be missed)... 80 million had to be accepted though.. you can't turn that down...

also sky keep showing ronaldos interview with himself... it's things like that i'll miss.... he's cocky... but to be fair he has some hilarious interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

80 million...

wonder how much Fergy will see of that? i'd say the Glazers will take a nice slice from it to finance their debt.

i'd say Fergie will be doing well to get 50m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

This made me laugh...

In between comments on who won't win it and why.

Nobody wins it 4 on the trot? How many have been in the position to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Ah legs you have brought a smile to my face.

Ah legs you have brought a smile to my face.

same as myself

legs ftw

not really ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

80 million...

wonder how much Fergy will see of that? i'd say the Glazers will take a nice slice from it to finance their debt.
    i'd say Fergie will be doing well to get 50m.

Setanta reporting that Glazers said it was Ferguson's decision to let the player go, it wasn't made for financial reasons, and Ferguson will have the money for transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Real madrid have effectively spent no money in the last few days. All this rubbish about 'huge amounts of money' is nonsense and people should look through the trees. The kaka and ronaldo layout will easily be recouped by shirt sales alone over the next 18 months and uniteds and milans will go south. (nobody has the clout to outsell ronaldo and kaka in world football).

When beckham left madrid, 50 mil was wiped off madrids balance sheet overnight. The owner of city was also no fool in his attempt to sign kaka for 108 mil, ridiculous money but a sound business decision, it just didnt come off.

Dave! wrote: »
    Setanta reporting that Glazers said it was Ferguson's decision to let the player go, it wasn't made for financial reasons, and Ferguson will have the money for transfers.

unlikely tbh.

that'd mean he'd have wat, 120million to spend in the summer? no chance.

unlikely tbh.

that'd mean he'd have wat, 120million to spend in the summer? no chance.
    My mistake sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

daithijjj wrote: »
    The kaka and ronaldo layout will easily be recouped by shirt sales alone over the next 18 months and uniteds and milans will go south. (nobody has the clout to outsell ronaldo and kaka in world football)

That would mean a consistent sum of around £800,000 per those 18 months. (in shirt sales)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Real madrid have effectively spent no money in the last few days. All this rubbish about 'huge amounts of money' is nonsense and people should look through the trees. The kaka and ronaldo layout will easily be recouped by shirt sales alone over the next 18 months and uniteds and milans will go south. (nobody has the clout to outsell ronaldo and kaka in world football).

When beckham left madrid, 50 mil was wiped off madrids balance sheet overnight. The owner of city was also no fool in his attempt to sign kaka for 108 mil, ridiculous money but a sound business decision, it just didnt come off.

How many shirts will they have to sell to recoup the cash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

And your forgetting that they have to pay Ronaldo's ridiculous wages... 80 million as a transfer fee, plus 10 million per year on wages. He was booed in just about every football ground in England, he's been booed in Ireland, he was booed on just about every football ground in this season champions league. You are forgetting that a lot of people actively despise Ronaldo.

How many £40 shirts is 80 million + 50 million in wages over the next five years....

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    And your forgetting that they have to pay Ronaldo's ridiculous wages... 80 million as a transfer fee, plus 10 million per year on wages. He was booed in just about every football ground in England, he's been booed in Ireland, he was booed on just about every football ground in this season champions league. You are forgetting that a lot of people actively despise Ronaldo.

How many £40 shirts is 80 million + 50 million in wages over the next five years....

And Real WON'T get the full £40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Link?

Manu have issued a statment and said they would comment no further at this time. When Becham went to Madrid United had Ronaldhino lined up but failed to sign him and he went to Barcelona. Hopefully United have not made the same mistake this time. They dont have Peter Kenyon to blame after all!!!

My mistake sorry

lol, you know wat i mean. obviously it "could" happen, but its unlikely.

can you honestly see Utd spending 120 million odd this year?

Im not here to hand out maths lessons folks.

@Y2J MUFC, Real madrid do not rely on shirt sales from ireland and the uk. Id imagine that around 1% or less of madrid shirts sold, are sold here and the uk. Try looking to asian/oriental markets etc for the big bucks.

Hi.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I doubt it. If Fergie signs 4 players (say including Tevez) he has 1 contract off his books and 3 new ones on it. Obviously money would have to be put aside for this. I also don't think Fergie will go out of his way to spend that money. He will know where he wants to reinforce. Once that's done he'll stop.

But I do think the cash is available if he needed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd say Fergie will end up spending at most about £60m on players and the rest will go to the Glazers.

There are important areas to strengthen but I would be surprised if there is £80m worth of transfer activity from United before the deadline.

• Advertisement

@Y2J MUFC, Real madrid do not rely on shirt sales from ireland and the uk. Id imagine that around 1% or less of madrid shirts sold, are sold here and the uk. Try looking to asian/oriental markets etc for the big bucks.

Then why say this?

All this rubbish about 'huge amounts of money' is nonsense and people should look through the trees. The kaka and ronaldo layout will easily be recouped by shirt sales alone over the next 18 months and uniteds and milans will go south.

Why say people are talking Rubbish? If you are going to say how easily the money will be recouped at least show how.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

just so some of the naive ranks in here don't get ahead of themselves - Shirt Sales is just the easiest way of summing up the full regalia of marketing he will bring.

Image Right to a point,
    Higher Offers from prospective sponsors (jersey, general sponsors of the club)
    All merchandising that is tied in with the player,
    Higher foot fall into the Club Shops with the excitement he brings.

The 80 million pound question is what United are going to do now with all that money. Do they go for Ribery and Benzema?

Do they keep the fans happy by signing Carlos Tevez? (Hopefully so!)

Do they have a look at the 6+5 rule coming in, and snapping up someone like Ashley Young?

Does it go to servicing debt and bring in someone like Antonio Valencia or Mikel Artera who won't cost the world but are good players?

Possibilities are endless. What a Summer its going to be...

This is the most interesting transfer window ever. You have United losing the Ballon D'or and the possibility of Tevez going to either of your local rivals, but Fergie and David Gill using 50's as bog roll.

And thats not even mentioning the possibility of getting £6 million for Frazer Campbell and how much their original transfer budget was.

So again how many shirts do you think will be sold solely due to Ronaldo and Kaka signing (i.e. shirts that would not have been sold if those transfers didnt happen?).

The 80 million pound question is what United are going to do now with all that money. Do they go for Ribery and Benzema?

Benzema maybe, my gut says ribery doesn't fancy it, but of course I could be wrong.
    Do they keep the fans happy by signing Carlos Tevez? (Hopefully so!)

Tevez doesn't want to stay, so you can throw plenty of money at MSI, still not beat man city in a bidding war and still not get the player.
    Do they have a look at the 6+5 rule coming in, and snapping up someone like Ashley Young?

6+5 not gonna happen.

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Link?

Manu have issued a statment and said they would comment no further at this time. When Becham went to Madrid United had Ronaldhino lined up but failed to sign him and he went to Barcelona. Hopefully United have not made the same mistake this time. They dont have Peter Kenyon to blame after all!!!

No link, it was on Setanta sports news

Dunno bout 120m, but do you see us letting go of our best player and most prolific goalscorer, and while we still have other glaring weaknesses in the squad (central midfield, wings), not bringing in some big players? We're likely to lose Tevez also ! It'd be madness of Arsene Wenger proportions to not spunk a bit of money on some quality

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    just so some of the naive ranks in here don't get ahead of themselves - Shirt Sales is just the easiest way of summing up the full regalia of marketing he will bring.

Image Right to a point,
    So again how many shirts do you think will be sold solely due to Ronaldo and Kaka signing (i.e. shirts that would not have been sold if those transfers didnt happen?).

read.

you're getting Valencia from Wigan, he'll do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I've been through all thoughts on this today, from thinking yes he's gone, to ah balls fergie has loads of money to spend, now i'm at the stage where i think UTD have shot themselves in the foot? i now beleive that any player they go for will have a hugely inflated price because they will know how much UTd have at their disposal, all i can say is i usually don't have sky sports news on untill a week before new season, my girlfreind has already put in requests for soap tv time, i declined, lol. P.S. slight exhaderation there, and i know i can't spell sorry:o

Image Right to a point,

add to tv rights to that

Headshot wrote: »
    add to tv rights to that

and that other thing he might just help with......silverware.

• Advertisement

and that other thing he might just help with......silverware.

I was just looking at sky news and R.Madrid hope to bring in 109m for Ronaldo and kaka in terms of sponsorship etc in 1 season

beckham brought in 90m in one season in additional revenue

read.

Personally I think its naive to look at this as an investment/shrewd business move.

Of course they will recoup some of the money but from a business perspective if your spending £80 million its a pretty poor intangible asset your getting. Its not Nike or Coca-Cola.

I'm pointing out the fact that a lot of people hate Ronaldo. Its just a fact. A lot of people are going to resent a club that goes out and breaks the world record transfer fee twice in a week during a horrendously bad global recession.

I used the UK & Ireland as examples. I'm not going to cover every country individually. There's a lot more to it than shirt sales, but at the end of the day, no matter what way they twist, its unbelievable sums of money they are shelling out.

£80 million + £56 million, plus the wages which are what, 10 million x 5 years, and 8 million x 5 years? The wages are like committing to buying a 50 million pound player, and a 35 million pound player.

This is without even mentioning David Villa, his transfer fee and his wages. There could be no way on earth that after buying those players they will come out with a profit at the end of the day. Weren't they in debt before now anyways?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

So wait, who's on a bigger wage?

Id just like to add these links to my point about madrid recouping the cash.

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/blog/europeinsight/archives/2009/06/the_business_be.html

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/blog/europeinsight/archives/2009/06/real_madrid_sig.html

@Y2Jmufc........if you care to google beckhams and zidanes shirt sales/t-shirt sales etc you will get the same. Beckham sold a million shirts in his first 6 months despite having several 'galacticos' in the squad alongside him. Im afraid you underestimate the power of the real madrid brand worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Its funny how stupid some (NOT ALL) United fans are. "Glad he fecked off the ungrateful little sh**e" :D You should be kissing the mans feet for winning you the title pretty much single handedly but not United fans he can get lost now since he dosn't play for them.. Good work lads
    To be fair now, the guy isn't liked that much by us because of his conduct and attitude. The fact that he's an awesomely gifted footballer is appreciated, yeah, but the character of a footballer is a hugely important thing for fans.

Should be interesting who we get to replace him. Perhaps strengething the squad we already have and replacing Ronaldo is what could be done with the cash. For instance, sell Nani and replace him with Valencia (I wouldn't mind selling Berbatov back to Spurs for about £15million and using that, along with £15million, to sign Benzema). Basically, I'd like to see Fergie beginning the season with 4 strikers and 3 wingers or so (well, that depends on whether we use a 4-3-3 or not). Benzema, Valencia, Tevez, Ribery etc. and I've heard stories from the Guardian of Nani being swapped with Joao Moutinho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

ShooterSF wrote: »
    So wait, who's on a bigger wage?
    Never mind that they will need to draw handbags everytime there is a freekick to decide which one takes it:D

Benzema maybe, my gut says ribery doesn't fancy it, but of course I could be wrong.

I have that same gut feeling, but at the end of the day, money talks.
    Tevez doesn't want to stay, so you can throw plenty of money at MSI, still not beat man city in a bidding war and still not get the player.

Bidding war? Don't United have an option to purchase at any point for a set price. Maybe that has expired by now. I'm not sure

Surely Tevez would rather stay at United where the fans love him, than moving across town to a team that finished 10th, and aren't even competing in European competition. If Tevez says he wants to stay, the deal will be done.
    6+5 not gonna happen.

I hope not, but unless Blatter and Platini do a U-turn... they got a big boost when they found out it wasn't against EU law.

Bidding war? Don't United have an option to purchase at any point for a set price.

expired.
    Surely Tevez would rather stay at United where the fans love him, than moving across town to a team that finished 10th, and aren't even competing in European competition. If Tevez says he wants to stay, the deal will be done.

he wants to leave cause he feels he doesnt get a fair crack at Utd, he is behind Berbatov in the pecking order quite inexplicably and feels that he has been abused by the club all year. hence why he wants to leave.

Thanks for that. But as Simon Chadwick, director of the Centre for the International Business of Sport at Coventry University in Britain included as many Real figures as you did I still don't know where the money is coming from.

I don't dispute the idea that real will increase revenue from buying the players but some of the figures mentioned are just thrown out there for publicity. Real are always going to say how valuable the lads will be as they are trying to invite big offers for sponsership. Mr Chadwick has his University mentioned on the net. Publicity wise Job done

• Advertisement
Advertisement