Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C. Ronaldo gone!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Bidding war? Don't United have an option to purchase at any point for a set price. Maybe that has expired by now. I'm not sure

Surely Tevez would rather stay at United where the fans love him, than moving across town to a team that finished 10th, and aren't even competing in European competition. If Tevez says he wants to stay, the deal will be done.

Sorry you are right about the bidding war - my bad

but all sources from MSI/Tevez say he's rightly pissed with United (not the fans) and wants out either way.
    I hope not, but unless Blatter and Platini do a U-turn... they got a big boost when they found out it wasn't against EU law.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/uefa-fifas-65-quotas-will-never-happen-in-europe-1701844.html

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Also, selling a player who always wanted to move to Real in return for excessive amounts of cash may have other benefits. For instance, Real may agree to keep away from United's targets this summer or the inclusion of Higuain or Diarra or Huntelaar or Robben or Gago etc. as part of the deal, some of which will probably be surplus to requirements in Madrid as a result of the crazy spending which has seen Kaka and Ronaldo, as well as one or two more, move to Real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Mr Alan wrote: »
    unlikely tbh.

that'd mean he'd have wat, 120million to spend in the summer? no chance.

Deep Down Sir Alex was dying to get rid of Ronaldo, he was already well on the way to surpassing the govnr' himself paul ince and when someone reaches that stage under the guidance of Sir Alex its only going to end one way

and thats the back door.

Im delighted that feker is gone the EPL will be much better now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Then why say this?

All this rubbish about 'huge amounts of money' is nonsense and people should look through the trees. The kaka and ronaldo layout will easily be recouped by shirt sales alone over the next 18 months and uniteds and milans will go south.

Why say people are talking Rubbish? If you are going to say how easily the money will be recouped at least show how.

I even went to the trouble of going to business week for you.....if you dont believe it, have a read of the links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

legs11 wrote: »
    when someone reaches that stage under the guidance of Sir Alex its only going to end one way

and thats the back door.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8094864.stm

This explains it better, it's mostly the tv rights though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

does anyone know if there is any other players for sale at united to get more money ( im not being greedy;))

Thanks for that. But as Simon Chadwick, director of the Centre for the International Business of Sport at Coventry University in Britain included as many Real figures as you did I still don't know where the money is coming from.

I don't dispute the idea that real will increase revenue from buying the players but some of the figures mentioned are just thrown out there for publicity. Real are always going to say how valuable the lads will be as they are trying to invite big offers for sponsership. Mr Chadwick has his University mentioned on the net. Publicity wise Job done

Sorry mate, im afraid i dont have access to madrids balance sheets for accurate numbers and id imagine alot of the figures are for directors eyes only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Deep Down Sir Alex was dying to get rid of Ronaldo, he was already well on the way to surpassing the govnr' himself paul ince and when someone reaches that stage under the guidance of Sir Alex its only going to end one way

and thats the back door.

Ah so that's why he claimed he has a hernia problem. Just an excuse to cover up him walking like John Wayne.
    Fergie's a dirty old man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

daithijjj wrote: »
    Sorry mate, im afraid i dont have access to madrids balance sheets for accurate numbers and id imagine alot of the figures are for directors eyes only.

I thought you may have had some specific info on how the money is generated as your original post was specific in timelines and how easy it could be recouped.

I only asked as I remember the looney amounts of cash mentioned when becks was at real and wondered if they were real amounts or just speculation.

Thanks for the info already supplied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Fergie's an old man, but he has his needs! Mrs Ferguson won't do it, not even on birthdays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

and thats the back door.

why would the EPL be better

the league is going to miss its best player,I know some people dont particularity like Ronaldo as a person but what a brilliant player,he lights up the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Ronaldo gone. Cant say I'm surprised. 80 million a huge price . However i honestly cant think of any one player that could replace him. Hated almost from the start, by opposing teams and fans is always a sure fire reason that a player is good. However his form when fit (which he mostly is), has been devastating, and he could do it consistently and more importantly he could do it against the very big teams.Good price yes but what have united to offer now as a almost all they have done good in the last few years came through his boots.

Just reading over the last 15 pages of this thread.

I have realised one thing, Legs11 = Legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

what have united to offer now as a almost all they have done good in the last few years came through his boots.

Once more:
    :confused:

This whole episode is turning into a Princess Diana style farce.

He was (at times:D) a great player for United but lets not get carried away with ourselves here.

Your above statement is not only total nonsense, but a huge insult to the other players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Hated almost from the start, by opposing teams and fans is always a sure fire reason that a player is good.

Try telling Joey Barton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Id just like to add these links to my point about madrid recouping the cash.

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/blog/europeinsight/archives/2009/06/the_business_be.html

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/blog/europeinsight/archives/2009/06/real_madrid_sig.html

@Y2Jmufc........if you care to google beckhams and zidanes shirt sales/t-shirt sales etc you will get the same. Beckham sold a million shirts in his first 6 months despite having several 'galacticos' in the squad alongside him. Im afraid you underestimate the power of the real madrid brand worldwide.

Those links say nothing. Shirt sales, ticket sales, how long is a piece of string?

Breaking the world record fee twice in a week.....£211 million (from transfer fee's and wages, assuming Kaka is on half Ronaldo's wage) and not one concrete figure of what they will make back. That's not even mentioning David Villa, his wages, and how much he is going to cost.

All this in the middle of a global recession. Expecting to make back the cost of a player who is largely despised, and some people ending resenting the club for spending extraordinary amounts of money.

What happens if Barcelona win La Liga again next year and the massive gamble doesn't pay off? There are too many variables to convince me they'll even get next or near making their money back in the long run. http://fourfourtwo.com/news/spain/32612/default.aspx

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Just reading over the last 15 pages of this thread.

I have realised one thing, Legs11 = Legend

dont you mean langer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

BVB wrote: »
    What happens it he doesn't agree Personal terms and conditions with Madrid

Its gonna be heres some money and look at the lovely weather we have....
    ..deal done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

great price at 80 million.
    makes berbatov look cheap!
    i'll have two berbatovs,and gimme back the change!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

actually, does anyone know if the fee will be paid in installments over the course of a number of years? (I'd imagine so given the enormity of the price) And will this hinder Fergie if / when he goes into the market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I only asked as I remember the looney amounts of cash mentioned when becks was at real and wondered if they were real amounts or just speculation.

Becks is a different story though. He was already a commercial monster while still at United. Having Posh as his wife helped that too. And they got him for 24.5 million, not 80.

That's more than 3 times the price for a less popular player. Different ball game completely.

actually, does anyone know if the fee will be paid in installments over the course of a number of years? (I'd imagine so given the enormity of the price) And will this hinder Fergie if / when he goes into the market?

Its quoted as an "unconditional offer" which I presumed meant cash up front with no clauses etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/spain/32612/default.aspx
    In a further swipe at the Bernabeu club, Sala-i-Martin claimed that Barcelona would never have to resort to such extreme measures to attain success. He added, "I can assure you that we will not pay €65 million for one player. For that price we could buy the whole team that won the Champions League in Rome.

How much for Messi pal?

adox wrote: »
    Once more:
    :confused:

This whole episode is turning into a Princess Diana style farce.

He was (at times:D) a great player for United but lets not get carried away with ourselves here.

Your above statement is not only total nonsense, but a huge insult to the other players.

Sorry man, he was the heart beat of the man utd side. The only reason he was not as revered as the likes of Keane or Cantona, was his despicable behaviour on the pitch like diving and winking when he won frees, also his incessant complaining. Time will tell but i think this will set Man Utd back unless they have someone up their sleeve, and to be honest there are only two other players on the planet at this time who can consistently influence a game of football the way he could , Kaka(now with the glactios) and Messi (and you have a better chance of resurrecting best than getting him). Its a natural reaction now for man utd fans to say that he was not as influential than what people are saying. Right now chelsea, Liverpool , arsenal and Everton are happy happy football clubs.

I thought you may have had some specific info on how the money is generated as your original post was specific in timelines and how easy it could be recouped.

Thanks for the info already supplied

The amounts surrounding beckham were clearly no joke as madrid stated that after he left 50mil was wiped off the balance sheet as i said previously. They would have no reason to lie about this unless the actual figure gained from beckham, was actually bigger. I just posted the links from 'business week' to back up my point. Titans link goes much deeper, i didnt know some of the stuff in that link.

In my first post, i just threw out a figure of 18 months to recoup the money. The business week link suggests it could be 12 months. Yes, it is speculation but the fact is, that the money can be recouped through various commercial activity like mayordennis and one or two others have pointed out. I just used "shirt sales" as a term to incorporate all income generated under an umbrella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Right now chelsea, Liverpool , arsenal and Everton are happy happy football clubs.

spot the odd one out!
    :D

Sorry man, he was the heart beat of the man utd side. The only reason he was not as revered as the likes of Keane or Cantona, was his despicable behaviour on the pitch like diving and winking when he won frees, also his incessant complaining. Time will tell but i think this will set Man Utd back unless they have someone up their sleeve, and to be honest there are only two other players on the planet at this time who can consistently influence a game of football the way he could , Kaka(now with the glactios) and Messi (and you have a better chance of resurrecting best than getting him). Its a natural reaction now for man utd fans to say that he was not as influential than what people are saying. Right now chelsea, Liverpool , arsenal and Everton are happy happy football clubs.

I disagree. i think you are overstating his role in the team .
    Oh and its not "a natural reaction now" from me about his influence. You can check my previous posts for opinions on him, good and bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Right now chelsea, Liverpool , arsenal and Everton are happy happy football clubs.

Everton? Were Madrid preparing to spend £80m on their first team?

Those links say nothing. Shirt sales, ticket sales, how long is a piece of string?

Breaking the world record fee twice in a week.....£211 million (from transfer fee's and wages, assuming Kaka is on half Ronaldo's wage) and not one concrete figure of what they will make back. That's not even mentioning David Villa, his wages, and how much he is going to cost.

All this in the middle of a global recession. Expecting to make back the cost of a player who is largely despised, and some people ending resenting the club for spending extraordinary amounts of money.

What happens if Barcelona win La Liga again next year and the massive gamble doesn't pay off? There are too many variables to convince me they'll even get next or near making their money back in the long run. http://fourfourtwo.com/news/spain/32612/default.aspx

You criticise a business week analyst by posting a riposte in the form of a link from the 442 staff, seriously?????????????

Where are the figures in your link???, all i read was a rant from a barca official who implies no player is worth 65mil. Like another poster said.........how much for little lionel?

• Advertisement

I think it is hilarious the moaning going on here about over spending.

crying-baby.jpg

Keep going lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I don't know if you know but Real's TV deal is the biggest in the world - worth about 1 Billion over 7 years.

Given that Pedrag Mijatovic and Calderon didn't spend as much as Perez over the last few years there is a nice kitty already there for spending.

Also Real have the fiercest negotiators when it comes to sponsorship, and they generate more in sponsorship than any other club in the world.

Remember, even though they haven't won **** all in the last few years - they've still topped the Deloitte year in, year out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Im not here to hand out maths lessons folks.

@Y2J MUFC, Real madrid do not rely on shirt sales from ireland and the uk. Id imagine that around 1% or less of madrid shirts sold, are sold here and the uk. Try looking to asian/oriental markets etc for the big bucks.

Asia, the knock off capital of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Real madrid have effectively spent no money in the last few days. All this rubbish about 'huge amounts of money' is nonsense and people should look through the trees. The kaka and ronaldo layout will easily be recouped by shirt sales alone over the next 18 months and uniteds and milans will go south. (nobody has the clout to outsell ronaldo and kaka in world football).

When beckham left madrid, 50 mil was wiped off madrids balance sheet overnight. The owner of city was also no fool in his attempt to sign kaka for 108 mil, ridiculous money but a sound business decision, it just didnt come off.
    Headshot wrote: »
    I was just looking at sky news and R.Madrid hope to bring in 109m for Ronaldo and kaka in terms of sponsorship etc in 1 season

beckham brought in 90m in one season in additional revenue

there's a big difference though between Beckham's commercial appeal and Ronaldo's and Kaka's. What Beckham did was give Real access to markets (particularly in Asia, and to a lesser degree the UK and the U.S.) that Real didn't have before that. Ronaldo and Kaka might be well known, but they certainly don't have the commercial appeal that Beckham had.

Remember all those contracts Beckham had? 50% of his personal image rights went straight into Reals coffers. Kaka and Ronaldo dont have half the brand recognition Beckham had, and certainly wont make as much of an impact commercially as Beckham did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Unearthly wrote: »
    Mihael Owen, Steve Mcmanaman

Your own history - learn it.
    Only if you learn to spell first :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

So who will make way to accomodate the move then?

Who do ye reckon will join United / leave Madrid?

dont you mean langer!

No he doesn't 'cos Im not from cark bai

Real are over 1/2 Billion in debt, I hope Barca clean all over their asses next season and that they go into meltdown.

On the face of it they are just signing players for their names do they actually think how their new boys will actually gel into their side, I bet perez would buy 10 kaka's if he wanted and play a 1-10 formation

Perez doent even know their nationalities, he quoted last week in the press of signing the biggest Spanish names and the following week signs kaka and ronaldo

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sorry man, he was the heart beat of the man utd side. .

He very much wasnt. Your confusing the heartbeat of the team with bloke who scores goals. Theres plenty of players more important to UTD's overall play than him.

Keane is the obvious one, now HE was the heartbeat of Utd. Rooney is a huge part of the way UTD play.

• Advertisement

This writer pretty much nails it on the head.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/matthew_syed/article6480943.ece

Bye Bye

Real are over 1/2 Billion in debt, I hope Barca clean all over their asses next season and that they go into meltdown.

On the face of it they are just signing players for their names do they actually think how their new boys will actually gel into their side, I bet perez would buy 10 kaka's if he wanted and play a 1-10 formation

Perez doent even know their nationalities, he quoted last week in the press of signing the biggest Spanish names and the following week signs kaka and ronaldo

:p

I wonder how they will be bailed out of that debt.

In 2001 it was a property deal http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/internationals/perez-removes-reals-debt-burden-686315.html

I wonder how they will be bailed out of that debt.

In 2001 it was a property deal http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/internationals/perez-removes-reals-debt-burden-686315.html

They pretty much have to win la liga next season AND the CL.

[Which they wont]

Villa
    ?-Kaka-Ronaldo
    Diarra-?
    Marcelo-Pepe-?-Ramos
    Casillas

They will most likely destory the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They pretty much have to win la liga next season AND the CL.

[Which they wont]

That is a big statement. Real were pretty poor this season yet finished quite close to Barca who are apparently one of the best teams ever.

If Real continue this spending spree and add a few defensive players to the attacking players that they have signed, they could be a completely different force next season.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Villa
    ?-Kaka-Ronaldo
    Diarra-?
    Marcelo-Pepe-?-Ramos
    Casillas

My thoughts exactly.

• Advertisement

Especially if 2 of those question mark are filled by Ribery and Alonso.

Especially if 2 of those question mark are filled by Ribery and Alonso.

Was thinking of those two as well.. A decent centre back and maybe a better left back and they would be pretty special team!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Originally Posted by legs11

All the previous Galacticos made Real Madrid money, as Sid Lowe (Guardian, Newstalk etc.) has been at pains to point out -''buying money''.

The money they're spending on these players will lead to bigger TV deals abroad, more commercial revenues etc.

Any successes on the pitch will just enhance these further. So regardless of how it all turns out, it's a safe bet that financially it's a win-win situation.

If a Galactico fails to perform, they will be replaced, and Real Madrid will continue to grow.

kinaldo wrote: »
    All the previous Galacticos made Real Madrid money, as Sid Lowe (Guardian, Newstalk etc.) has been at pains to point out -''buying money''.

The money they're spending on these players will lead to bigger TV deals abroad, more commercial revenues etc.

Any successes on the pitch will just enhance these further. So regardless of how it all turns out, it's a safe bet that financially it's a win-win situation.

If a Galactico fails to perform, they will be replaced, and Real Madrid will continue to grow.

Out of interest, if the 1/2 billion debt is even close to accurate, how did madrid go from having debt cleared in 2001, start the galactico period and come of it in so much debt?

The reality here is only 4 clubs in spain are excempt from becoming a PLC. Madrid are one of them and their debt is serviced by a local banking economy that will either bail them out or never call in the loans. Madrids wealth creating powers look to be a myth.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/european_football/article6426983.ece

It looks to me like talk of them making so much money out of the signings is to invite sponsership and also make the club look more appealing, help them look as clean and white as the kit. If Reals obvious advantages were more publicised companies would be less inclined to be associated with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Villa
    ?-Kaka-Ronaldo
    Diarra-?
    Marcelo-Pepe-?-Ramos
    Casillas

I disagree, i think what will happen is what has happened so many madrid teams before - that they will have a team of huge egos which cant work well in a team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement