Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C. Ronaldo gone!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

curry-muff wrote: »
    I disagree, i think what will happen is what has happened so many madrid teams before - that they will have a team of huge egos which cant work well in a team.

Ronaldo is the only real ego there tbh
    Kaka, Villa, Say they sign Ribery and Alonso are all quitely confident but that's as far as they go.

Legs seriously you have the most distorted view on reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

mayordenis wrote: »
    Villa
    ?-Kaka-Ronaldo
    Diarra-?
    Marcelo-Pepe-?-Ramos
    Casillas

They will most likely destory the world.

Don't they have Drenthe??(he is my best defender in FIFA 09 haha)
    Whats up with Raul, Higuan, Heinze, Nistelrooy, Robben, Huntelaar, Van der Vaart , Schneider and Gago. They are all supposed to be "great" but ....how were their seasons?
    :confused:

I dont get to see any spanish football unfortunately:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Topics for discussion:

Ronaldo, Man Utd, Real Madrid.

Topics not for discussion:

Fair trade coffee, Everton FC, Liverpool FC and assorted other nonsense.

If you're going to try and bring the discussion off on a tangent can you at least make it somewhat relevant? Discussing the impact on the coming season makes sense, discussing Kenco does not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

awh damn i was winning that argument too, so ronaldo to Madrid eh that is so 12 hours ago :o

wait so Kenco is fair trade, oh i'm doin it again i'm done i'm done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Out of interest, if the 1/2 billion debt is even close to accurate, how did madrid go from having debt cleared in 2001, start the galactico period and come of it in so much debt?

The reality here is only 4 clubs in spain are excempt from becoming a PLC. Madrid are one of them and their debt is serviced by a local banking economy that will either bail them out or never call in the loans. Madrids wealth creating powers look to be a myth.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/european_football/article6426983.ece

It looks to me like talk of them making so much money out of the signings is to invite sponsership and also make the club look more appealing, help them look as clean and white as the kit. If Reals obvious advantages were more publicised companies would be less inclined to be associated with them.
    It doesn't matter that their debt has increased, so has their revenue, and and with it potential for more growth. They recently sold their television rights in a 7 year deal for 1.1billion, and that's domestic rights only.
    Sid Lowe wrote:
    ....That model explains why Pérez believes Madrid can afford to spend €300m. In fact it helps to explain why he believes Madrid cannot afford not to spend €300m. As they were when Pérez last came into power, Madrid are in debt. In 2000, the figure was €278m; now, according to research by José María Gay at Barcelona University, the figure could be as high as €500m. Last time Pérez sold the club's training ground for €447.7m (around £298 at the time), using the money to clear the debt and finance transfers. This time he has secured a deal with the Catalan bank La Caixa.

Short-term credit provides cash flow to buy players, just as Madrid hope that player sales will do. Long-term stability comes, or so the theory goes, from buying star players who increase the club's value as a brand. After all, over 40% of the club's income comes from marketing. "The cheapest player I ever signed was Zidane," Perez says. "Signing stars is not spending money, it is investing it."

He once claimed Madrid's annual income had doubled in three years from 2000 to 2003. And while some question the figures, not least the Barcelona director and economist Xavier Sala i Martin, one study suggests that Ronaldo and Kaka could bring an additional £107m a season to Madrid in revenue. "You buy big players because they pay you back," Valdano says. And he doesn't mean in goals.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/jun/11/cristiano-ronaldo-real-madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

Nobody wins it 4 on the trot? How many have been in the position to do so.

Liverpool?

1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84

I think this is a great move for ronnie, looking forward to seeing who Man U replace his huge contribution on the goals side of things (both goals and assists) next season. Certainly should make for an interesting transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Out of interest, if the 1/2 billion debt is even close to accurate, how did madrid go from having debt cleared in 2001, start the galactico period and come of it in so much debt?

Well with the purchase of Kaka and Ronaldo the current squad costs the bones of €465m. That's not counting all the Galacticos they bought in the intervening time period that aren't in the squad. I'd also imagine that their wage bill is pretty massive.

For what the current squad cost, see below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60648154&postcount=32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well with the purchase of Kaka and Ronaldo the current squad costs the bones of €465m. That's not counting all the Galacticos they bought in the intervening time period that aren't in the squad. I'd also imagine that their wage bill is pretty massive.

For what the current squad cost, see below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60648154&postcount=32

The half billion was talked about before the 2 signings was it not? Plus thatd be assuming no income, which with the marketing ability of Real, a huge stadium, and 80,000 people paying what, €150 (thats €12m in free money alone) a year to be members, is quite big.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Mr Alan wrote: »

You're forgetting that the only people fergie hates more than Real are reporters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Heres Super Mario's catch on the story :P

Stekelly wrote: »
    The half billion was talked about before the 2 signings was it not? Plus thatd be assuming no income, which with the marketing ability of Real, a huge stadium, and 80,000 people paying what, €150 (thats €12m in free money alone) a year to be members, is quite big.

yup it was - but it doesn't count the cost of players like

Zidane - £46m
    Figo - £38.7m
    Ronaldo (originial) £26m
    Beckham £25m
    Walter Samuel €25m
    Robinho €24m

These are only some of the big name Madrid bought since the club's debt was cleared. Basically it looks like Real spent a huge amount of cash on players and their transfer fees. There's also the fact that Real seldom seem to recoup much of the transfer fee when players do move on.

Even with all the cash spent on players it's still hard to see where all of the debt came from if the reported television deals are true and the massive merchandising revenue is true, along with the membership fees.

FunkZ wrote: »

Heres Super Mario's catch on the story :P

i love the way he pronounces Kaka on about 1.12

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah I asked them, but they haven't replied yet.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything.

I think you need to re-read my post again before making smart comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Just flicked on one of the morning gossip shows, anyway, apparently Ronaldo has been fooling around with Paris Hilton in LA. Now Real really will have a virus of some kind on their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Thats the footballer formerly known as Christian Ronaldo Fooked anyway.

Must block all instances of his name on my browser from now on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Unearthly wrote: »
    Mihael Owen, Steve Mcmanaman

Your own history - learn it.

How could you forget Dudek? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

By Ronaldo. He will be missed no doubt.

All the best in Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Its a great price for him i just hope Fergie buys well

• Advertisement

Ronaldo is the most petulant, self centered sulking player in the game today. When a player thinks he is too good to be subbed and when he interviews himself then you have serious ego problems.

Ferguson was absolutely spot on to cash in on him, in retrospective despite his wealth Kaka is a model player and just gets about his business with no drama.

Now 'CR' will have to learn the new lingo for his self centered interviews. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

Crazy amount of money... but hes worth it, well Real Madrid think it and they're probably right. Now hear me out.

Ronaldo is not just a player but also a brand, like David Beckham. Before Beckham joined LA Galaxy how many of those shirts would you see in sports shops? Admittidly they're not that common, but you see them around a lot more than you would had he not joined. Ronaldo has a large following in Japan and the far east, and his transfer will probably generate any times his cost in new shirt sales. Add to that new TV subscriptions, and a far east tour, packing out stadiums. Usually the transfer cost quoted in the press is the maximum payable cost, and is rarely if ever realised. Its performance related and probably a clause linked to shirt sales etc.

He might even help them win a trophy or two as well!

Football isn't sport any more (it hasn't been for years, decades even), its business. The purchase of Ronaldo wasn't a "footballing decision" it was a business decision.

Football "club" supporters (customers) are deluding themselves if they think otherwise.

legs11 wrote: »
    Ronaldo is the most petulant, self centered sulking player in the game today. When a player thinks he is too good to be subbed and when he interviews himself then you have serious ego problems.

Ferguson was absolutely spot on to cash in on him, in retrospective despite his wealth Kaka is a model player and just gets about his business with no drama.

Now 'CR' will have to learn the new lingo for his self centered interviews. :rolleyes:

You forgot to mention that he is also the best footballer i have ever seen. Probably of this generation. For his age i can't think of anyone to rival his success. I would welcome him back to Mau U in a second. Granted i found him frustrating at times, but the kid was instrumental in Man U's success of the last 4/5 years. I honestly believe without him in that team they may not have won anything in the last three years. I remember match winning goals in key games more than i remember the sulking.

I look to see the great in the footballer rather than the bad side. As i've said on more than one ocassion; I wish him all the best and i hope and believe that if he returns to old trafford we'll sing his name rather than boo him.

So thank you Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ronaldo is nothing compared to beckham in terms of brand ,even ronaldo and kaka together brand is nothing compared to the beckham brand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Headshot wrote: »
    Ronaldo is nothing compared to beckham in terms of brand ,even ronaldo and kaka together brand is nothing compared to the beckham brand.

Of course he isn't. Why else did the publicity people get him to meet Paris Hilton, he needs his profile to be built up to justify the money Real are going to pay him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Of course he isn't. Why else did the publicity people get him to meet Paris Hilton, he needs his profile to be built up to justify the money Real are going to pay him.

I'd say he'd just seen the video tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ya i saw the vids and pics,
    he wont pass the medical now

Headshot wrote: »

whats his aftershave like...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Clearly about the pussy innit? getting pissed with a dollybird has feck all to do with Real, money or profile.

Should put this in the nascent Madrid or Rovers thread, but here is good enough
    The football-supporting natives of Tallaght, south-west of Dublin, have been in something approaching a state of shock in recent days, particularly if Manchester United are the Premier League club closest to their hearts.

The rumour has been circulating with increasing volume that Shamrock Rovers, the local League of Ireland team, are to play a friendly against Real Madrid in the middle of next month, and it is now understood that the fixture will be confirmed on either Monday or Tuesday of next week. But the emotions really began to churn when Cristiano Ronaldo agreed his £80m world-record transfer from United to Real yesterday, and those same natives put two and two together. The world's best player would appear set to make his Real debut against Rovers at the newly built if humble Tallaght Stadium – capacity 3,500, to be swelled to 10,000 by temporary seating.

"I am trying to picture it, and it's just unreal," said Jimmy Pluck, the secretary of the Tallaght branch of the United supporters' club. "Ronaldo leaves for £80m and out of all the great stadia in the world, he plays his first match for Real in Tallaght. I can see the floodlights from my house. It's mind-boggling.

"I just keep thinking that someone is going to say, 'No, that game cannot be played here, the security will be too much, it'll have to be played at Croke Park'. But I hope not. To see Ronaldo and Real here would be amazing."

Ronaldo is used to grander surrounds, yet he would seem to be assured of a rousing reception. United have a tremendous following throughout Ireland, as do all of the leading English clubs, and although there is some disappointment at the winger's departure, there is unlikely to be any hostility towards him.

"He will probably get booed by the Irish Liverpool fans in attendance," Eddie Gibbons, of the United supporters' Dublin branch, said. "But I've been following football here since the late 1950s and there has never been any problems with teams coming over, even during the Troubles. The Irish wit will be very good. I'm sure Ronaldo will get some gas comments but he'll enjoy it."

Seamus Moran, the secretary of United's Mayo supporters club, said: "There are a lot of people in Ireland who support Ronaldo, especially the young girls. He is a heartthrob, and you could fill the stadium in Tallaght with screaming teenage girls alone. I have to say, though, that the venue is totally inappropriate in terms of size. They should move the game to Croke Park and they would fill it."

Real will spend 10 days in Ireland as part of their pre-season, arriving on 13 July and staying and training at Carton House in County Kildare, which boasts elite *facilities. It has been described as Ireland's La Manga. Real's visit is being organised by Platinum One, an Irish sports management company that has grown in repute after organising aspects of Barcelona's previous two pre-season campaigns, in which they set them up in St Andrews, Scotland, for training and friendly matches.

The provisional date for the Real-Shamrock game, pending ratification by the Football Association of Ireland, is 20 July, and it has had to be accommodated around Rovers' domestic commitments. The League of Ireland season runs from March until November, and Rovers have a home fixture against Sligo Rovers on 18 July.

Shamrock Rovers are among the most prominent names in Irish football but until the beginning of this season they had spent 22 years without a home of their own. Since the sale of Glenmalure Park, they have rented a succession of grounds and lived hand-to-mouth. They hit a new low in 2005, when they went into "examinership" and were relegated from the top flight, but a supporters' group rallied and took control. Promotion was won and Rovers are now regarded as the business model for other Irish clubs.

This is their first opportunity to welcome teams from overseas to their permanent home, which is a municipal ground, with Rovers as the anchor tenants, and although Hibernian have been booked for 27 July, it is Real and the galácticos who will provide the headline act.

Excitement had already gripped the Rovers dressing room at the prospect of their facing Kaka, Real's £56m capture from Milan, but Ronaldo has sent it spinning into overdrive. It would be understandable if trepidation were also among the emotions, particularly for Pat Flynn, the team's left-back, who might be asked to mark Ronaldo.

Flynn, however, is a character who relishes a challenge, and in the most literal of terms. Described by the club's official website as a "tough tackling defender", his disciplinary record is colourful, to say the least. With Rovers players joking that "Flynny's going to get him", the prospect beckons of the most expensive player in the world being brought crashing down to earth.

The rest of Tallaght, though, continues to float along. "I'll be at the game," Pluck said with a smile, "and I hope that afterwards, Ronaldo comes over and says, 'Jimmy, here's my No7 shirt. You wouldn't have a marker for me to sign it for you, would you?'"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/12/cristiano-ronaldo-real-madrid-shamrock-rovers

I know someone who works in Carton house, i'm gonna try and get in there. Might meet Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,562 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

lordgoat wrote: »
    You forgot to mention that he is also the best footballer i have ever seen. Probably of this generation. For his age i can't think of anyone to rival his success. I would welcome him back to Mau U in a second. Granted i found him frustrating at times, but the kid was instrumental in Man U's success of the last 4/5 years. I honestly believe without him in that team they may not have won anything in the last three years. I remember match winning goals in key games more than i remember the sulking.

I look to see the great in the footballer rather than the bad side. As i've said on more than one ocassion; I wish him all the best and i hope and believe that if he returns to old trafford we'll sing his name rather than boo him.

So thank you Ronaldo.

Mmmmmmm........'greatest footballer you have ever seen', you obviously mustn't watch a lot of football.

I remember match winning goals against the likes of Portsmouth, West Brom, Wigan etc, but I honestly don't remember him performing in the BIG important games. Did nothing in this years CL final for example.

Also, great players are remembered for their big game performances, and also big international tournament performances, example Maradona for Argentina in 86, Pele for Brazil in 70.
    I've watched Ronaldo for Portugal in Euro 04 & 08 and World Cup 06 and he was hugely unimpressive.

Overall, he is a highly overrated player. Madrid have bought him as a business transaction first, which will generate huge revenues for them, and for his football ability second. It's a great bit of business for Utd, and obviously they don't find him irreplaceable as they didn't need to sell him.

I really have a feeling that Ronaldo, who will now believe his own hype even more, will suffer from an over inflated ego and bank account and be a football failure in Madrid. By the looks of things he'll be having more success in Paris!

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Mmmmmmm........'greatest footballer you have ever seen', you obviously mustn't watch a lot of football.

I remember match winning goals against the likes of Portsmouth, West Brom, Wigan etc, but I honestly don't remember him performing in the BIG important games. Did nothing in this years CL final for example.

Also, great players are remembered for their big game performances, and also big international tournament performances, example Maradona for Argentina in 86, Pele for Brazil in 70.
    I've watched Ronaldo for Portugal in Euro 04 & 08 and World Cup 06 and he was hugely unimpressive.

Overall, he is a highly overrated player. Madrid have bought him as a business transaction first, which will generate huge revenues for them, and for his football ability second. It's a great bit of business for Utd, and obviously they don't find him irreplaceable as they didn't need to sell him.

I really have a feeling that Ronaldo, who will now believe his own hype even more, will suffer from an over inflated ego and bank account and be a football failure in Madrid. By the looks of things he'll be having more success in Paris!

Have you seen all them live? I seriously doubt it. Maybe i should have made that more clear. And i can safely say i've watched alot more football than the average person.

I love how you dismiss teams, he can only score against what is infront of him and i thought he was outstanding in the CL this year, he did ok in the final better than alot of the team, but you can choose to ignore that as it suits the argument.

I know there was alot of faults with him i just hate to see his achievements belittled. I

love how people give out about his arrogance (not you) and when you look at all the great maradona, pele, cruyff, cantona possibly the most self obsessed but yet gifted footballers ever. I like that arrogance i think it is part of what makes the great players great.

+1

thats pretty much all spot on really. Ronaldo is all hype which unfortunately in this media age too many buy into [including perez who seems to have big pockets with a small brain].

I can name several players since the 80s who were superior to 'CR' and who have contributed much more, the boy has a long way to go and he should ditch his celeb status if he wants to get on to the 'best players' category

Maradona
    Maldini
    Careca
    Baggio [roberto]
    Baresi
    Matthaus
    Bergkamp
    Giggs
    Gullit
    Van Basten
    Henry
    Kaka
    Keane
    ronaldo
    Zidane
    Zola
    Gerrard
    Roger Millla even.. :D playing into his 40s [or was it 50??!] and a world cup legend .! (and he didn't snarl when he was subbed either)
    Lineker

in fact there is probably more but thats enough for now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I remember match winning goals against the likes of Portsmouth, West Brom, Wigan etc, but I honestly don't remember him performing in the BIG important games.

lol selective memory much? He scored a peach in the CL final last year and two more in the semi against Arsenal this year. Do you honestly not remember those goals? Or is it that those games weren't big enough? Lol

ps: it is true that he still has yet to do anything amazing on the international scene though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

No goals in BIG games? Are you joking? I vaguely remember a fantastic header against Chelsea in CL2008 Final. Also against Porto this year and against Arsenal. All BIG CL games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Tbh anyone who doesn't rate Cristiano Ronaldo as an absolutely brilliant player should be prepared to have their views on other soccer matters ignored since they clearly haven't a fcuking iota about the game or are on halucinagenic drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

lol. lol. lol.

80 million pounds! Its clear some people disagree, and since nobody has massively baulked at the figure, I think most people disagree.

While I love Beckham as a player, he isn't in Ronaldo's class.

Stolen from another site:

NOTW at the time we signed Ronaldo....
    In most cases, paying £12m for a teenager would be considered rank stupidity, over-indulgence or, at the very least, a gamble which even Chris Kirkland's dad would shy away from.

When Manchester United do it, it's a stroke of transfer genius.
    According to everyone who they make listen, United have just signed the best teenager in the world. By God are we hearing about it.

I'm not doubting Ronaldo's abilities. Clearly he's a talented kid who may be on the threshold of greatness. It just strikes me as rather odd that no-one has given the same attention to Liverpool's equally stunning new teenage recruit.

It seems Gerard Houllier's mistake with Anthony Le Tallec was to buy him early rather than delay until everyone in Europe wanted him. Obviously, Liverpool should have waited until Le Tallec's value was £12m.

Soon enough, the rest of the nation will wake up to the fact Le Tallec and Ronaldo played in the same world youth championships not so long ago and it was the Liverpool new boy who was voted the best player.

No doubt both Gerard and Mr Ferguson watched those same youth championships in Malaysia a few years back and noticed the same players.

Indeed, Liverpool had already signed Le Tallec by then and were strongly linked with Ronaldo themselves, but can't afford to splash out like United.

Time will tell who's got the better deal, but for value for money I know who I'm backing. It's a bit like Houllier and Ferguson have both dined at the same top class restaurant and had their pick of the best main courses on the menu.

Houllier has managed to get his dish at a quarter of the cost Ferguson has paid, and yet it's his rival who is getting all the praise.

Indeed, I'm getting an eerie sense of deja vu when it comes to theman dubbed TLT who's about to explode onto the Premier League. I remember how slow our London based number one writers were to realise who Steven Gerrard was a few years back.

The Kop Magazine I once wrote even launched a campaign to get him in the England squad, so little attention was he receiving. Then, when the rest of the country noticed a year later, they decided to make him their own property.

It was a similar story with Wayne Rooney at Everton. A friend of mine who works on a national newspaper tried to get a feature on Rooney into his paper in the summer of 2002. They were having none of it. How times changed three months later when "Rooney Opens Crisp Packet" stories were making the front page.

Le Tallec won't get the same attention as Rooney, Gerrard or Michael Owen because he ain't English. But the few glimpses I've had of him remind me so much of the first time I saw Gerrard.

So young, yet so full of class. So clearly ready to play at the highest level and begin the learning curve which will take him to the top of the game.

One of the most encouraging, but sadly overlooked parts of Sunday was Le Tallec's being named a sub. Pity he didn't get on, although Houllier said he was prepared to play the youngster if the circumstances of the game had been different.

The career paths of Le Tallec and Ronaldo are sure to cross regularly over the next decade. Should the French gem prove himself the better player, you never know, maybe the manager who signed him will get a bit of credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

PHB wrote: »
    Stolen from another site:

NOTW at the time we signed Ronaldo....

lol

Funny how things turn out.

comical :D

Any idea who was the genuis behind that article?

Definately worthy of a name and shame.

I'm trying to imagine when exactly the career paths of Ronaldo and Le Tallec are going to cross in the next while.

• Advertisement

Chris Bascombe

It seems that it wasn't NOTW, it was the Liverpool echo :) He's now at NOTW I think?

http://web.archive.org/web/20040229065901/http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N141482030819-1209.htm

Internet Archive is your friend

PHB wrote: »
    Chris Bascombe

It seems that it wasn't NOTW, it was the Liverpool echo :) He's now at NOTW I think?

http://web.archive.org/web/20040229065901/http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N141482030819-1209.htm

Internet Archive is your friend

Yup at the NOTW now - Coco the clown's close pal. Expect his ability to break any news story about LFC from now on to be a massively negative figure. In fairness the Echo doesn't really seem to print anything remotely negative about LFC or ze blues. I presume the Manchester papers are similarly incisive.

I really should have guessed it was Bascombe. Not a very popular individual with Liverpool fans.

On a seperate note I have to see I love the internet's archivabilty ability - over time it really has such a solid ability for sorting the wheat from the chaff in terms of utter ****-talkers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

In fairness, Le Tellac was the best player at that championships and did look a much better player technique wise than Ronaldo, at the time ronaldo was just all pace and flicks, Le Tellac was a very composed player with great vision for an 18 year old.

Only thing that happened was that Ronaldo developed and Le Tellac didn't.

ahhhh Chris Bascombe, why am i not surprised.

a truely horrible person.

*for anyone not aware he was a liverpool correspondant for the echo who then got a job for th4e notw, which is obviously a massive no no in liverpool. he swore blind his style of journalism would not change and he would not pander to their ****e stirring tactics. since then, quite literally every article has been "rafa is leaving" "rotation is to blame for rafa throwing away the league" "zonal marking-rafas forbidden love" "rafa is racist" "alonso hates rafa" "mascherano is leaving" "the americans are sound" "torres not happy" etc etc etc, he is a truly horrible gutter trash journalist.

basically, he was "in" with squad etc (ghost wrote carras autobiography for example), but when he got the job at the sunday s*n they all cut him off, incl rafa publically saying "there is two papers you can never trust & everyone in liverpool knows that", since then he has done done nothing but bile hate filled nonsense articles designed to unsettle Liverpool FC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Only joining the discussion now, but this is really bad news for United. Ronaldo has been their most important player for the last 4-5 years. He is, quite simply, irreplacable. If I had a choice between Benzema plus Ribery, or Ronaldo, I'd go for the Portugese wing wizard every day of the week and twice on Sunday. This is a real tradgedy too for English football- the best player in their league, indeed in the world, has left for Spain, which now boasts the three best players in the World. Can Spain now call itself the best league in the World? - perhaps.

Mark my words, United will stutter next season, they've lost a real genius. And, Premiership defenders will be breathing a huge collective sigh of relief. Real shame!

PS: the two posters above who don't rate Ronaldo- lol - I didn't realise Dunphy & Giles posted on boards :D

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/rod_liddle/article6493089.ece

Rod Liddle does a job on Ronaldo, funny in parts.

note: he says some less than complimentary things about the young chap, so don't read if you're easily offended, and don't blame me for bringing it to your attention!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

actually, does anyone know if the fee will be paid in installments over the course of a number of years? (I'd imagine so given the enormity of the price) And will this hinder Fergie if / when he goes into the market?

The fee will be paid "in £20 million instalments over four years."
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_united/article6481992.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

therecklessone Here is the article that you failed to connect with :)

mike65 wrote: »
    therecklessone Here is the article that you failed to connect with :)

Cheers dude, I copied the link from the middle panel on the original article, some problem with the ST website means all of the links are for the Capello article :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Advertisement